Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
When I get old I'm moving back to Fl and drive slow in the left lane.
REPLY: Im going to do that too when i get to Florida (soon) , and im only in my early 50's (and ive already got the white hairs and loose bowels , so, im all set !) Florida, here i come !

Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM

93 posts, read 386,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staykay View Post
I am a native Floridian, and I am disgusted with the way my state has been ruined. We have become the nation's old folks home! Retirees come down here and clog traffic with their slow driving, fill up resturants all day long (because they don't have anything else to do), and refuse to vote for necessary taxes for schools because their grandkids live in another state!

There are cities in Florida (Naples, St. Petersburg, Lakeland, etc.) where it looks like that movie Cocoon everywhere you go!

I know growing old is part of life, and older people have earned the support/aide of the young --but why can't it be where they came from??!! It's not right to give all the strength of your working years in one state, then move somewhere else and say to the people there, "Take care of me."

I know that they bring their retirement money with them, but it runs out! Everybody knows that many people outlive their provision for old age --and then what? Are they going to go back to New York and run up huge medical bills at the county hospitals that they can't pay? No, they become a burden to the people of Florida.

I believe very much in honoring the elderly. Every year as my mother (and I) grow older, I treasure her more and more. But my mom was born and worked all her life in Florida. She deserves to bask in our sunshine now.

There should be interstate immigration limits on how many elderly people can move here, just like the limits we have on people who wash up on our beaches and just keep coming, and coming, and coming.

Thinking of retiring to Florida? Don't. Enough is enough!

Hmmm, move people where you want them, not where they want to live.

Well Stalin did that, why don't you read up on that, and how well it worked out. You will need to replace the word "old people", for the type he did not want around him. Such as Jewish people, or political dissidents, gypsy's, and so forth.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:42 PM

93 posts, read 386,044 times
Quote:

Me too

Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM

119 posts, read 112,631 times
I'm gonna move to cuba and waive the american flag and demand thatthey learn english, then, i'll go to puerto-rico and do the same lol

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
While Florida does have the highest percentage of people over 65, they do not have the highest percentage of people over 85.

What happens is they come down to live their golden years and they then get to an age that they no longer can take care of themselves or just need a little family help so they move back up north.

Besides even if you take Florida and compare it to the average for the U.S. there is not a large difference at all.

Florida has about 16.5 out of every 100 people are over 65.
The U.S. as a whole has about 12.1 out of every 100 over 65.

Could it just be that Florida seniors are just out and about more than seniors up north since there is nicer year round weather and things to do?
Do you think the % of people over 65 in FL will go up after the "Babyboomers" start retiring and moving there?

Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Do you think the % of people over 65 in FL will go up after the "Babyboomers" start retiring and moving there?
They are moving to North Carolina.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:

Be sure to have a turn signal constantly blinking too.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
They are moving to North Carolina.
Even Pa. as surprising as that may seem. Know a number of people who moved/retired there. Cheap and still near enough to family in NY. Obviously, as in yours truly, warm weather is not always a factor.

I also know a number of people who went to Arizona and New Mexico. Yeah, people are still retiring to Florida, but not like in the past. Boomers seem to have other options now.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:50 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The average age in Florida has been trending down for years.
The retirees might inch it back up a little but many families have been moving here also.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
'It's not right to give all the strength of your working years in one state, then move somewhere else and say to the people there, "Take care of me."

REPLY: Nearly all Seniors are on Social Security/Medicare , so Florida isnt going to 'have to take of them' . Many Seniors want to retire to Florida because in many areas of Florida, it is far cheaper living ; can you blame a person for wanting thier hard earned money to go as far as possible during retirement ? . Plus sunshine 300 days out of the year and no snow is very appealing . Not to mention the nice Golf Courses and Beaches. Part of our American Freedom is to live where we desire within the Nation , and it is wrong to discriminate based on age or if a person looks weathered due to age. The same Freedom is extended to you ; if you like, you can relocate to a different State . If you dont want to , then you have that Freedom too. Please dont come down on the Elderly because if you do, you essentially dishonor your very own Parents whom im willing to bet are approaching 'old age' . Instead of looking down on Old Folks that live near you, just shout out : ' Howdy Neighbor , hope you have a nice day !' .
I was about to say some of what you have: everyone with rare exception is on medicare, it isn't a free program as our young friend might think and it covers only part of our medical needs. She seems to think most of us will outlive our money, some yes, many no; does she have parents or grandparents? I have probably never seen a thread so outrageous in my life...I think her age shows when she refers to hyperinflation: she hasn't lived like some of us have through many bouts with inflation. It does revert itself. NOw, to her, I hope you don't have to listen to people like you when you reach 65,70 or older!!!! BTW, I do not live in Florida, nor do any of our retired friends. We live in AR, some in NM, some in Calif, Ill, Va, etc. Make sure, when you retire you don't stay in Florida, God forbid, those younger than you may have to pay taxes for some of your benefits.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida