Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think they had the southern roots but as the rush of people came in, they either adapted to the new, moved to a different area or stayed put and complained

I can only truly speak for Orlando...
That is an interesting post to me, as my parents lived in Gainesville in the 1960s (before my I was born). Being from Alabama, they still considered themselves in the "south" when in Florida, which then had a population less than Alabama. Orlando was just another town to visit on a weekend. The "southern belles" at Cypress Gardens are a good example of how different Florida was in that era.

Today's Floridians use terms like "lower Alabama" as an insult to describe any parts of their own state not filled in with concrete. Go figure.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
That is an interesting post to me, as my parents lived in Gainesville in the 1960s (before my I was born). Being from Alabama, they still considered themselves in the "south" when in Florida, which then had a population less than Alabama. Orlando was just another town to visit on a weekend. The "southern belles" at Cypress Gardens are a good example of how different Florida was in that era.

Today's Floridians use terms like "lower Alabama" as an insult to describe any parts of their own state not filled in with concrete. Go figure.
I'm in central FL and as a matter of fact I love lower AL. Highway 84 is a treat to travel. Dothan is a very nice little city IMHO. My neighbors growing up were AL natives and you wouldn't want to meet finer people. I welcome all the seniors from AL that want to call my state home.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,032 times
I really do think that, whenever the economy does cycle back up, Florida will get a new wave of residents and investors coming in to take advantage of the real estate bargains.
A lot of southerners were "priced out" of seriously considering a Florida retirement, because real estate was so expensive, but the current shakeout might result in southerners taking a fresh look.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:31 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post

Or for Jacksonville, "South Georgia" !

It's all good, I don't mind .

Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 PM

119 posts, read 112,646 times
^^^ lol. i would hope not, thats a complement compared to a lot of other fla towns and what they resemble.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:04 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Had a chance to read all the posts, interesting opinions and many off topics. The OP has not replied since 07/28, therefore I will close the thread based our rules. This is a complaint thread and this is not what we are here for.

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida