Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 AM

428 posts, read 1,243,478 times

Advertisements

In particular, I'm interested in comparing areas like Safety Harbor/Dunnedin/Oldsmar to areas in the Melbourne area.

We originally studied the areas in Pinellas Co. and liked the idea of an area like Safety Harbor a lot. Especially, the idea of getting a newer home nestled in an older, established area. In other words, a place that actually has nice homes with even some trees but no HOA dues. We saw a couple new craftsman style bungalows that looked great. Target home price 350K-450K. Also, walking distance to the pier, shopping, and parks.

However job-wise I stand a better shot at landing something on the Space Coast. Viera gets a lot of press and I'm sure it is nice. But, it looks like a typical cookie cutter development that you can find anywhere in FL these days. Are there other areas in Melbourne or within commuting distance that we should look at? I'd love to find a nice neighborhood that doesn't have a major HOA. The type of place that still has great homes yet a place I can find a unique home and maybe have a garden and koi pond in the back yard under a shady oak tree. Is this too much to ask for on the Space Coast?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:50 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Hi Tjax,

I did the same,,,

We were firstly interested in Pinellas Cty and spent 12 days there last Oct... and really liked Safety Harbour.. but decided it did not really hit us.. so we are now looking at Melbourne and the surrounding areas... Viera, barrier islands etc.

But also Martin Cty now....

Check my posts, I have (2) on Melbourne.

As I said.. we really liked Safwty Harbour... but it did not HIT US as we would love to be there.. so we negated the county as just nice.. but nothing to move to.

We are seeking same,,, a house $300-400K

We will be moving end of '09 as we are expecting our 1st child Oct.

For work I can work anywhere so I am lucky.

Let me hear from you.

Michael

Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 PM

40 posts, read 152,400 times
Hi!! I actually grew up in Pinellas County (St. Petersburg) and now live in Melbourne, so I know exactly what you are talking about! Melbourne is much slower paced and not nearly as built up as Pinellas County. It will probably remind you of how St. Petersburg was about 30 years ago and all my friends and family also comment the same as soon as they drive over here for a visit. It is a peaceful family-friendly area with beautiful beaches and is close to shopping and attractions in Orlando (45 min). There are great plans for expansion that were really well planned and it is growing, but won't be the size of Clearwater for quite a few years still. Unfortunatly, I haven't found the quality of 'downtown' areas here that are offered in Safety harbor/Dunedin. There is downtown Cocoa Village and Downtown Melbourne that offer some nightlife, but still not as much as over there.

I live in a new area called Viera that is very nice and we have had absolutely NO knowledge of ANY gangs or theifs around us. I don't even know anyone here that has even experienced any of those problems! Of course, we do live in a gated community, which probably helps to deter some trouble-makers, if there are any here at all. However, just like every city, i am sure that their are some bad people and some shady places to live. I would NOT live in Cocoa or Palm Bay, even though those areas are still much better than what you would consider a slum! The beaches are nice, but the homes/apts to live in are a little older so they are naturally more runned down.

If you live anywhere in mainland Melbourne (off the beaches and West of US1), insurance is MUCH lower and we are not even required to have flood insurance where i live. Even when Tropical Storm Faye dumped all that rain on us last year, we sat high and dry with no problems or flooding at all. There are plenty of homes for sale at amazing bargains because of the economy right now. If you are looking to buy you should look into 'short sales' or contact a realtor. We used Lori Nartates at Viera Realty (Welcome to the New Town of Viera, located in Brevard County, FL on the Space Coast. (http://www.viera.com/public/index.jsp - broken link)) and she was an absolute pleasure to work with, got us a beautiful house for a great deal, and she really worked around our schedule since we were moving here from another area and only popped in for weekends. You can definatley find a beautiful home with plenty of room for the family in your price range even in the 'nice' areas of Melbourne (Viera). You should call Lori!

Honestly, you should take a drive over here one weekend (only about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Clearwater) and check it out for yourself. Definatley look into the Suntree/Viera/Rockledge areas! Just driving around the area will help you to determine the differences and see areas you would want to live.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 PM

40 posts, read 152,400 times
Also, check out Capron Ridge (Capron Ridge - New Homes in Viera Florida - Melbourne, Vierra, Engle, Mercedes, Engel, Mercedes homes, Carpon Ridge) in Melbourne...we bought a home in there from JerJef in the Tralee Bay Estates portion of the community and LOVE it! No shady oak tree with Koi Pond, but we do live on a preservation and have a view of the water. There are plenty of trees surrounding us and the wildlife around is amazing. I have seen deer in my own yard! lots of birds, too. NOT so cookie cutter as the other areas because the are all semi-custom Tuscan style homes with tile roofs, so you can really customize the homes to fit your needs. Cocoa does have the shady oak trees though and downtown Cocoa village can be very nice down along the water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida