Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,633 times

Advertisements

Hey, I've been reading a few of these posts for a while now to try to get a feel for Florida. I live in PA and I'll be graduating from college soon with a degree in elementary education/early childhood education. I've heard it's easier to find a job for teaching in Florida and I was recently there for a friend's wedding and i LOVED it. I really want to move down there.. I was thinking around Pinellas Park, Sarasota, St. Petersburg... Any tips on where to move? I'll be by myself, and I'm 22.. so affordable apartments and a good, fun place to meet people more my age would be great. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 AM

121 posts, read 785,993 times
Gainesville, or Tallahassee. Harder to get a job, but more progressive and lots of student age people. Sarasota is, well, higher end and higher aged. There has to be a database somewhere surveying teachers salaries. Florida is way down on the food-chain in this regard. And it is becoming much more expensive to live here on those low salaries. You should get an educator's input on this. Get a Masters degree and demand a higher step in pay immediately. Surely the NEA has info you can access.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 AM

45 posts, read 174,135 times
Default I agree with daedalo

The areas you are considering are not good for young people. By brother is single, 32, lives in that area. He's had 2 dates in many, many years and isn't exactly the reclusive type.

Those areas look fun when you're visiting but turn on you very quickly after you move there. Spend a couple of weeks there first, and for goodness sakes don't move without securing a job first. Jobs are very difficult to get around here. I made that costly mistake.

I would stay in PA, especially if you have family there. You probably don't know how lonely it gets living away from your established support group. But if you must take the plunge, Gainesville or Tallahassee are OK for young teachers. There are some nice small towns around Gainesville too.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:32 AM

99 posts, read 308,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina4216 View Post
Hey, I've been reading a few of these posts for a while now to try to get a feel for Florida. I live in PA and I'll be graduating from college soon with a degree in elementary education/early childhood education. I've heard it's easier to find a job for teaching in Florida and I was recently there for a friend's wedding and i LOVED it. I really want to move down there.. I was thinking around Pinellas Park, Sarasota, St. Petersburg... Any tips on where to move? I'll be by myself, and I'm 22.. so affordable apartments and a good, fun place to meet people more my age would be great. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
The reason it's easier to find a job is because the pay sucks. I usually try to mediate the negativity, but I ain't gonna cut corners with you. The pay and the FCAT drives many new teachers out of the profession and/or state within 2 years.

Visit again. Stay at least a week or more. Look around. Mingle with the locals and then make a decision. RESEARCH the school systems like a thesis paper. Finding a job won't be hard, that's for sure. But surviving on the salary will be a whole other story. Do you have student loans or substantial credit card debt to pay off? If so, get your Master's and then think about relocating here. You won't need to struggle as hard.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:44 AM

45 posts, read 174,135 times
Default I still say stay in PA!

My father was a teacher in Jacksonville, then a small town in north central Florida. It almost killed him. Literally. In Jax his students almost killed him when he was gang beaten. He was so fearful for his life he got a concealed weapon license and carried a gun. His next job was so stressful he developed macular degeneration.

Enough good news, here's a site he recommends for jobs and information:

http://www.teachers-teachers.com/florida.cfm

Old 08-25-2006, 11:02 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
I can't comment expertly on the pay scale or how difficult it is to get a job, but I do know that that St. Lucie County school system (Port St. Lucie and Fort Pierce) are making a serious effort to find good, affordable housing for new teachers. They have established a list of landlords friendly to teachers and have instituted a database of new, single teachers looking for roommates in the school system; they try to find a good match.

The neat thing is, if you concentrate on public schools, there are only 67 school systems in the state (each school system is county wide, and there are 67 conties). Google "Florida School Districts". There are several sites that list the schools, show maps, etc. The most valuable would be the one from fldoe.org, the Florida Dept of Education. It's complete with lists of schools and links to each district's web site. The web sites usually have a job list and most have maps of the school locations.

It wouldn't be very difficult to set up a mailng list so you could apply to all 67 districts and see what kind of offers you get. Then, you can do some research on the specific areas and see where you'd like to live. Of course, if there's a specific area you like over others, you canlimit your applications.

In any event, you will have to sit for a certification exam in Florida. There is a reciprocity process if you have passed certification in another state, but I'm told it can be tough.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
You would not have a problem finding a job in Orlando. The Orange County School District has a severe shortage of teachers. They were holding meetings during the summer and helping anyone with a degree in any field learn how they could get certified to teach. I know they started the year with positions still open. Also, with the new UCF Medical University opening and now the Burnham Medical Institute relocating here, there a several new schools slated to be built in south east Orlando over the next few years. These schools will serve upper middle to high income neighborhoods and will have the latest in technology. There should be some great teaching opportunities here.

In the southeast area where I live, I am very centrally located, only 25 miles to the east coast beaches - Cocoa Beach is the closest to me, I can leave my home and be on a cruise ship at Port Canaveral in 30-40 minutes. I am 12 miles from downtown, 5 miles from the international airport, 8 miles from Universal/Sea World and 15 miles from Disney. I live 1-2 miles from several major superhighways that allows me to be anywhere in the central florida area within a half hour at most.

There are MANY young people here. In fact, a couple of neighbors in my new subdivision are single, young people who have just purchased their first new home. Lots of opportunities for social life abound...Pleasure Island, City Walk, etc. If you choose the right areas you shouldn't have any problems with crime, etc. Check out the City Beautiful - you may like it!

Old 08-25-2006, 01:54 PM

32 posts, read 141,013 times
Would you say that Sarasota County is not good for young people like 19 year olds?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
Default Starting Pay Is...

what??? what is starting pay for a teacher in fla (avg.)???

Old 08-25-2006, 09:43 PM

62 posts, read 376,613 times
Teacher pay scales are public knowledge and are generally posted on the various county school district websites. The starting pay in Duval County for a teacher with no previous experience and only a BA is about $35K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida