Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 AM

63 posts, read 254,904 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the machining industry in DB. My husband & I are moving to DB this fall and he has been in the industry for over 30 years, what are wages like & are jobs available. Also what does the avg server make in tips on a 40 hour work week? Any info on DB would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,160,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmlavallee View Post
Can anyone tell me about the machining industry in DB. My husband & I are moving to DB this fall and he has been in the industry for over 30 years, what are wages like & are jobs available. Also what does the avg server make in tips on a 40 hour work week? Any info on DB would be greatly appreciated.

Please check out the other threads about Daytona. I would not recommend anyone moving to this area without a job already lined up. As far as a machinist job, I don't know where you're from, but don't expect big bucks. That's what we hear from everybody: "When I was in Michigan, NY, etc, I made....." Ain't gonna happen here. Sea-Ray, one of the largest employers in the area, just laid off 100 people, as did the local newspaper. Several of the local restaurant chains recently announced cutbacks and some have gone to a tip-sharing policy servers probably won't like.

You might get lucky and find something, but it's hard times around here. I heard Hudson Tool & Die in Ormond Beach was hiring and the snowbirds will be back in November to boost the restaurant biz, but....depends on where you work. The servers with seniority will get the money shifts. Everybody's scrambling, lots of people I know are working 2 jobs.

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:12 PM

574 posts, read 2,041,828 times
I agree with the PP. Our economy is very tourist based so especially with waitressing, your hours and tips are going to depend a lot upon the season. If its holiday time, race weeks (February and July), bike week, spring break or the kids are out of school for summer, its busier. Not only are we tourist based, but as the PP stated, things are not going real well around here as far as the economy is concerned. In addition to the ones he mentioned being laid off we had 240 teachers laid of the end of last school year. A lot of those teachers who didn't leave the area have taken temporary positions as clerks and waitresses. Many people in real estate, since the market is not doing real well now, have also taken some of these jobs.

What else do you want to know about Daytona besides the job market?

Nancy

Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 AM

Talking Daytona Mchining Industry

ssg II & BioAdoptMom3
Thank you so much to both of you for your replies! I have been posting on this sight since early spring & have not found much helpful/useful info on DB (mostly just negative replies) so you have no idea how much I appreciate your responses. My husband & I are moving to DB in a couple months from Vermont. We like motorcycles & nascar (rednecks, we are moving w/out any debt & we are willing to make less money. We are tired of working 60 hours a week & living check to check. Are either of you familiar with AO precision or ODI? When I go to career builder they always seem to be hiring. With my husbands 30 yrs of experience in the machining business he would expect to make at least $15/hr. Does that seem realistic. Again thanks so much for any help you can give me!! Oh by the way we are looking to rent an apt not looking to buy so property taxes etc are not an issue.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,160,862 times
You're most welcome. I would contact any of the companies directly. Sometimes HR will hook up with an online agency and the postiton never gets deleted even though it's been filled. 15 an hour sounds about right for an experienced tradesman in this area.

You might also check the Sunday Daytona News-Journal & the state's website: myflorida.com (I think it's employ florida marketplace or something like that) for jobs and the Pennysaver for apartments.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 AM

Love that PENNYSAVER!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 AM

41 posts, read 215,408 times
I have been looking around Daytona/Ormond beach area as well. I will not be able to move until the housing market picks up here but on my research I found the following websites very helpful:

Daytona Beach News-Journal Online
Employ Florida - System Timeout
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida