U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,554,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
They can't park on your property if you don't want them to. Call the station and speak to a supervisor. They will not park there again.

Our cordless radar and laser guns will allow us to park our car out of view, and stand outside of our car. The public obviously doesn't like it because they look ahead for the marked police car. By the time that they see us, it's too late. We don't have to give warning that we're running radar or dress in bright colors for the public to see us a mile away.

I've had people park down the road with signs, warning motorists of a speed trap. They usually get a ticket for something as simple a parking on the sidewalk. If you decide to be such a hero, be sure that you're parked correctly, and that your car's equipment is not defective. When you drive off, make sure that you stop at the stop signs, and that you're wearing your seatbelt. They think that they are doing the public a service, but the police are there to slow people down. When someone doing 50 in a 30 mows down a kid, people wonder why the police don't write more tickets. They are usually just your typical disgruntled citizen who recieved a ticket themselves. As it is, I always give people up to 15 miles over the speed limit before I stop them.
Thanks for being so nice , but more important did you sware an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the State of Florida? Well then do you know that by giving a ticket to a person you violate the constitutional rights to free travel . check it out it will surprise you .

Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,136,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Thanks for being so nice , but more important did you sware an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the State of Florida? Well then do you know that by giving a ticket to a person you violate the constitutional rights to free travel . check it out it will surprise you .
I'll gladly violate their "constitutional rights to free travel" until I'm ordered otherwise. I think that I'm covered by my department and by the State of Florida. I sleep well at night knowing that by enforcing traffic laws, I may be saving someones life. The day we are told never to write another citation, and allow people to speed, run red lights, and violate every other law, will be the day I toss them my badge and move to another third world country.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,201,123 times
The AAA has designated Waldo and Lawtey as the only 2 towns in Florida to have the honor of having the title of 'speed traps'. Seems that the local 'law enforcement officers' are finding it more difficult to catch 'speeders. So they have a new tactic. They park on the shoulder of US 301 with their lights flashing. They pull over all cars that don't change to the left lane. This is a new law that not many drivers know about.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM

2,902 posts, read 6,453,055 times
Below is from the Terms of Service, ( THE RULES ) for posting here.
This thread is close to being closed. Stay on topic please.

Frank D.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.
Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Ten

163 posts, read 161,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I'll gladly violate their "constitutional rights to free travel" until I'm ordered otherwise. I think that I'm covered by my department and by the State of Florida. I sleep well at night knowing that by enforcing traffic laws, I may be saving someones life. The day we are told never to write another citation, and allow people to speed, run red lights, and violate every other law, will be the day I toss them my badge and move to another third world country.
And there we have it, folks: The Law pledging to violate your prior Constitutional rights in order to run a State's revenue provider.

And the "saving lives" canard? I can prove that highway fatalities are uncorrelated to highway speed:

Speed Doesn’t Kill -- The Repeal of the 55-MPH Speed Limit

And as to third world countries, MV, perhaps you're aware that they tend to be police States where the first thing to go are fundamental human rights.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM

8,368 posts, read 16,064,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
And there we have it, folks: The Law pledging to violate your prior Constitutional rights in order to run a State's revenue provider.

And the "saving lives" canard? I can prove that highway fatalities are uncorrelated to highway speed:

And as to third world countries, MV, perhaps you're aware that they tend to be police States where the first thing to go are fundamental human rights.

Higher speeds also increase road carrying capacity and reduce traffic jams. More people get in accidents on slow-moving roads than on fast-moving highways. Police officers have more accidents than anyone else, so I guess they are not the total solution. It's mostly for revenue or there would be no traffic fines.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post

The only reason why there have been less traffic deaths, is because of car manufactures improving their safety features. That article don't mean squat. And when you arrive on the scene of an accident where the car was split in half because of speed, then you'll realize what I mean. Bottom line is that speed equals less reaction time. It's very simple physics. Speed limits are studied and placed for a reason whether you want to accept it or not.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Higher speeds also increase road carrying capacity and reduce traffic jams. More people get in accidents on slow-moving roads than on fast-moving highways. Police officers have more accidents than anyone else, so I guess they are not the total solution. It's mostly for revenue or there would be no traffic fines.
More people get in accidents on slow moving roads, but more people are killed because of speed. Police may have more accidents than anyone else, but remember that they are also driving for eight hours a day with idiots who feel that speed doesn't kill. Nobody ever said that they were the solution.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyce_inWonderland View Post
ever seen CITY cops of the city of Northport, camping out on the Interstate 75 (FL state trooper 'territory' ) giving out speeding tickets on the INTERSTATE ? now that's unusual ! I couldn't believe it when I actually saw it on the Interstate

If thats where the problem is, more POWER to them.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,201,123 times
You can usually come to a conclusion that you live in a very low crime area by seeing the amount of time and resources a sheriffs Dept or local Police Dept spends on enforcing traffic laws. When people are not calling 911, they have nothing else to do. So, harass motorists for minor infractions. And three vehicles will show up for a tire inspection and spend an hour doing it.
The excuse Northport PD has given for being on I-75 is that they consider I-75 as a local road where drug trafficers from Miami are driving to Tampa. If you get stopped for speeding [everybody does 75-80] which means they can stop anybody, you can be sure that your vehicle will be [illegally] searched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida