U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM

83 posts, read 444,928 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me if it is legal in Florida for a police officer to park there police car on private property without permission of the owner of the property and shoot there radar at passing cars and then chasing after the speeding cars to give them a ticket.
I know the state that I lived in for many years, they could not park on private property without permission of the property owner. They would have to park along the curb and at night the police officer would have to have atleast their parking lights turned on. Also it is not legal there for the officer to hide in the woods or hide behind a building shooting his radar gun at passing cars.
Again is there anybody out there that could let me know or let me know what the state statutes is on this matter.

Last edited by dannl; 08-04-2008 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,291,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
Can anybody tell me if it is legal in Florida for a police officer to park there police car on private property without permission of the owner of the property and shoot there radar at passing cars and then chasing after the speeding cars to give them a ticket.
I know the state that I lived in for many years, they could not park on private property without permission of the property owner. They would have to park along the curb and at night the police officer would have to have atleast their parking lights turned on. Also it is not legal there for the officer to hide in the woods or hide behind a building shooting his radar gun at passing cars.
Again is there anybody out there that could let me know or let me know what the state statue is on this matter.

Ask your local Police Dept, they will not lie to you. But I believe they have to ask for permission to use private property. We do have a few law enforcement members in the forum and they can also provide feedback.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Ask your local Police Dept, they will not lie to you. But I believe they have to ask for permission to use private property. We do have a few law enforcement members in the forum and they can also provide feedback.
Thank you

Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 PM

374 posts, read 1,154,706 times
Ask your local police dept if it is alright for them to use radar on your property.....Then definately make sure you don't speed, jay-walk, run a yellow light or anything else that you can get a ticket for....

Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyb0077 View Post
Ask your local police dept if it is alright for them to use radar on your property.....Then definately make sure you don't speed, jay-walk, run a yellow light or anything else that you can get a ticket for....

I myself am not worried about getting a ticket. Ya if your speeding then you should get a ticket.
The subject here is it legal for the police to sit on my property with their radar guns without my permission as I am trying to run a small business in a small town but nobody wants to stop here because when they see the police sitting here they figure there must be problems there so they don't stop here.
It's pretty sad when 1 or 2 people stop by in a whole month. When the people do stop they say they were going to stop by when they went through this town 2 days ago but we say police here so they said they didn't think it would be a safe place to stay.
I feel the police should sit on the street with there radars, not on private propety. I have asked them to leave and they tell me they have all the right to be on my property.
You read all over that nobody wants to even go through this town let alone stop in the town also telling everybody not to do business in this town.
It is not the business owner writting out the tickets.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,518,257 times
I think it gets a little sketchier if you are talking 'private property' like sitting in your front yard fanging people vs. sitting in a parking lot 20 feet from the front door of your business. If your own the land and parking lot then you can surely ask them to move to another location. If you are leasing your office/shop then I would contact the owner of the property and have them intervene. If you are not getting satisfaction this way go through the top LEO in the area, your local city council member or governing body and ask that something be done. I wouldn't get too belligerent though as the popo folks do have some very good memories.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,761,298 times
You must live in Waldo.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I think it gets a little sketchier if you are talking 'private property' like sitting in your front yard fanging people vs. sitting in a parking lot 20 feet from the front door of your business. If your own the land and parking lot then you can surely ask them to move to another location. If you are leasing your office/shop then I would contact the owner of the property and have them intervene. If you are not getting satisfaction this way go through the top LEO in the area, your local city council member or governing body and ask that something be done. I wouldn't get too belligerent though as the popo folks do have some very good memories.
I hear ya

Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
You must live in Waldo.
How did you guess the write city.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,761,298 times
You said you lived in a small town and have had 2 customers in a month due to this cop, well Waldo is known for people avoiding that town because they will get tickets even going 1 or 2 miles over when every where else you slide unless you are over 5 miles.

It was either Waldo or Lawtey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida