Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 PM

92 posts, read 356,544 times

Advertisements

Tell me how you handled moving even further away from your kids and grandkids. How often do you see them since you've moved to FL and how long did it take you to adjust?

I haven't moved to FL yet but am anticipating missing mine terribly when the time comes. I see my oldest and grandkids weekly and my other kids at least every couple of months.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
The same way you have to handle it when they take off from the nest and move way off like mine have. From the DC are to CO. Yes I miss seeing them but they have lives and dreams to follow too and I just have to accept it. I don't know any other way to think about it. I would hope that they would understand and make pilgramages to visit.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quite a few people here have mentioned others returning to their home states because of grandchildren. It's a good idea to REALLY make sure you LOVE Florida enough to move here, IMO. Especially if you are buying a house. You're likely to have to keep it awhile if you change your mind later. My grown son lives here and he's already told me in looking at other cities to move to that "no offense but unfortunately parents do not enter into our decision" LOL.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:10 AM

12 posts, read 45,244 times
Some of our children take vacations to Florida with the grandkids, so we expect that we will have plenty of beach loving family visit when we move..but we will still miss them...

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Friends of ours have kids in Seattle and some in Florida, they see the ones in Florida more frequently throughout the year.

For children/grandchildren in Seattle they have this arrangement: The kids and grandchildren in Seattle come to Florida for 2 weeks in the summer usually, they leave the grandchildren for two extra weeks (this way the parents get a break). Then the grandparents fly out to Seattle (bringing the grandchildren back) for two weeks in Seattle. Every other Christmas they spend Christmas together, either they fly to Seattle or the family comes to Florida. Then they fly out to Seattle two extra times during the year.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Talking Don't Wait Toooo Long!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallygoodin View Post
Tell me how you handled moving even further away from your kids and grandkids. How often do you see them since you've moved to FL and how long did it take you to adjust?

I haven't moved to FL yet but am anticipating missing mine terribly when the time comes. I see my oldest and grandkids weekly and my other kids at least every couple of months.

Thanks
My parents always wanted to move somewhere warmer than where they are...but always put it off...so they would be available to baby sit my brother's kids...and or to stay at his house to take care of the dog...what a joke......now...the grandkids are off on their own...rarely if ever call no less visit...and my brother has moved off...to be in a warmer climate......and as they as they put it "we are to old to move now" and they like their doctors/etc.....so don't put off your move!!!

Several of my parents friend's had moved south and what they found was that their family would always come to visit...especially during the winter months...you won't see them as much...but at least they will visit...if for no other reason than to have a free place to stay......

Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM

92 posts, read 356,544 times
Thanks for all the comments. I have no doubt that my kids will visit a couple of times a year, but why do I have this nagging guilt about "abandoning" our adult kids?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default You miss them terribly

Quote:

Thanks
especially if you came here by circumstances, not choice. My younger daughter is a new teacher and comes down about 3 times a year on her breaks. However, she is complaining that the airfare is "killing" her. She is getting married next summer. Once she does, she probably won't be coming as much. Although we are going up for a week for the wedding, I cannot be there to help with the wedding planning, the dinners, etc. My future son-in-law's parents are very nice and we hit it off immediately. I would even like to be able to see them, which I cannot. They also want to buy a house before they marry. I cannot be there to help with either. We talk on the computer for HOURS about anything and everything. It is very depressing not being around for all this.

I hadn't seen my older daughter in a year. She was afraid to fly and didn't have any spare money for plane fare. We paid for her plane ticket this year. She seems to have gotten over her fright. However, since she works loss prevention at a very upscale store, she cannot take vacation anytime from the day after Thanksgiving until January 2. Forget about her coming for holidays.

Unless this your LIFE LONG DREAM of moving to Florida, you are eventually not going to be very happy about living far away. I have seen far too many people living here and then deciding that it was not worth it. Their kids/grandkids are more important. I know most people on here won't agree with that, but it is the truth for many people.

Only YOU can decide what is right for YOU. Sometimes we need to listen to that little "voice" in our brains. It is probably telling you how you REALLY feel about the situation, no matter what logic is telling you.

I suppose that is the reason Florida has so many snowbirds. They just live here for a few months a year and then go back home to their familes. They perhaps have the ideal situation for some people.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. I have no doubt that my kids will visit a couple of times a year, but why do I have this nagging guilt about "abandoning" our adult kids?
I'd be asking them what they say about it if that bothers you. The previous poster who told the story about the grandparents taking care of those kids their whole lives and now being too old to move and the damn kids not even calling or visiting is very typical America IMO. Abandoning how? In babysitting duties etc?

FORGET THAT if it is. I'm a mom and not a grandmother and my son already knows that there is no way on the face of the earth that I'm interested in babysitting any kids. Have them at your own risk I continue to tell him LOL

Now the dog, yes, I just took care of her last weekend

I'd be wondering why you think that your own life is secondary to everyone elses? Not trying to play shrink but .....

Another way to look at it is if you raised them to be high functioning independent adults, they'll be fine. If not, they better learn NOW while you're still around for moral support BY PHONE ha ha. Any of us could be gone tomorrow and if our kids can't survive without us, I think we failed them. (that's my version of a pep talk )

Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:

Thanks
I was blessed to be raised in a home that encouraged & supported adventure & trying new things. But with that always came the reality that actions have consequences

My parents always told us they wanted to raise us with wings so that we could fly. They had NEVER made us feel bad that we have moved away & helped us move.

That being said, it has been us kids that have moved back to be near THEM. I had no desire to live near my parents until I was older & had my own family.

There is nothing like having your children be near their grandparents. I find it to be an incredibly special gift you can give to your children. No longer are my folks a 22 hour car ride away or a $400/person plane ticket away. They are 25 mins away. My sons will know their grandparents on a personal level & as I said, that is possibly one of the best things we can do for our children IMO.

If my folks wanted to move away, we'd support them 150%. But we are all at a point right now were we all want to stay put & will do so as long as possible.

I think it's tough when families are separated by long distances but many get use to it. We never did but that's just us. Sure for every person that didn't get use to it there is a person who does just fine.

One day a cashier at Publix in SWFL told me to moved to SWFL to get away from her grandkids, so I guess different strokes for different folks.

My parents are in their mid70s & have no problem telling us that they can't babysit or that don't want anyone over for a few days etc. They travel and so on. We didn't move near so they could be free babysitters. But the other day my son came down with a very high fever & my dh was out of town. I called my mom for some suggestions. She said that if need be, she'd come over. I told her I'd be fine. The most comforting thing was knowing she could come over & that was peace of mind. I guess I just have a good & positive relationship with my folks as does my dh. We like being near them. Some people just want to be far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida