U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,838,276 times
Transplanted NY'er here and I love it! It's very laid back and I honestly do feel like I'm on vacation most of the time The biggest difference between loving and hating Florida is the economy. If you make decent money, you can still enjoy the perks of living here. I can imagine it's difficult to enjoy this place if you're struggling to make ends meet. As far as crime is concerned... I find it laughable that anyone from the northeast would shudder at the thought of crime in Florida. There's crime everywhere- every state has certain neighborhoods or cities known for high crime. I do think it's important to research where you want to move to before you do. Hopefully that can save you alot of trouble before moving here!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 PM

11,449 posts, read 10,625,155 times
It's interesting that many native Floridians hate it and move away as soon as they can, like most of the kids I went to school with in South Florida. Interestingly enough (some, including myself) are moving back as we get older. I guess the big-city rate race, crime, pollution and of course the weather are motivating factors. Personally I can't wait to move, sometime later this year. Tampa Bay area, here I come!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM

304 posts, read 433,437 times
I visited Florida for the first time when I was 14 and we hit all the theme parks. I still remember the heat and the lightning storms to this day, and how stimulating the whole thing was for me.

I came back down to visit a couple of friends for a week here and a week there. As I got on the plane to go back home I felt really sad. I still remember how sad I was. The people seemed friendly, the weather was nice, and there seemed to be a lot to do.

I talked about moving here for years but never did. Then finally I just went and did it. I was worried about the economy in the winter up north.

Now that I'm down here I don't get out as much as I would hope. The money isn't easy to come by here. I like the weather still, but some of the people are definately strange here. I really cant put my finger on it but they are.

Yes there are a lot of friendly social people but for every friendly social normal person there are people who have a weird arrogance about them that I don't like. Also people seem to be very judgemental and picky as to who they will hang with down here probably because there are a good amount of weirdo's. So you kinda have to be reserved and put on a "cool" front where you don't have any kind of meaningful conversations and are just chill and boring until people can "decide" that your ok. I find this annoying. It's like you have to worry about what you say in case someone reads to much into it and thinks your a bad egg.

Up north is the opposite problem where you have to do a lot to get to know someone but if you do it and are patient you make good friends.

Down here it's easy to meet people but very difficult to make reliable friends out of them. I don't like it.

Do I like Florida to live? I've only been here 4 months so I can't say for sure. Right now the weather is spoiling me and I'm trying to find a situation that will allow me to have fun and go out more. So I'm still giving it a chance.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,846,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
We moved here a few years ago from up north. Having lived in larger metropolitan areas and smaller suburbs, thought Orlando would be a good fit. How wrong we were! The people here are not friendly, especially if you have an opinion different from the AG's (Assemby of God) or Baptists. Orange County has the highest child abuse rate in the state I believe, or at least close to Miami. They have to send kids home from school on weekends with backpacks of food they can open themselves as parents are too dumb? or lazy? or poor? (lots of money for beer, tattoos etc though) to take care of the little ones. Schools are not that great; son is in honors classes at HS & even those teachers don't bother to post grades for 2 or more weeks at times. He's thinking about going to a math & science academy after sophmore yr or grad. after jr. yr. Drug, alcohol problems are rampant in HS here, but they try to cover it up.

They are about 5-6 years behind the rest of the country in everything-from recycling, health care, transportation-only public transit is buses & they don't go to all areas. Again, we are ready to leave; love the northeast & hope to get out of here to move closer. Lucky we are professionals who have options. Many people here aren't as lucky.
Oh boy, you would really hate it here in North Georgia. LOL

I used to teach in Central FL and we were definately not sending backpacks of food home with every kid! Yes, there are a lot of child abuse/ neglect cases in FL. There are also a lot of really rough areas where people are living in near 3rd world conditions. A lot of people "wash out" in their hometowns and then make a pilgrimage to the mecca of FL, thinking they will somehow be able to lounge on the beach and bbq on their back porch on a terrible $8/ hr night shift job in a call center.

It all comes down to money. If you have to rent a $400 apartment on Americana Blvd, you will hate Orlando. If you can buy a $400k house in Oviedo, you will probably find a lot to love. For those of us in between, it depends on your situation.

I grew up there and saw a lot of changes from 1974 - 2006 when we left. the grass was greener in NE GA for us. Well, right now my moving truck is booked and our house is under contract to sell (fingers crossed!). We are on our way back to FL at the end of May if everything falls back into place. I can't stand the weather up here (today was rainy and it never got out of the 50's all weekend) I find myself getting S.A.D. in the winters here and they aren't even bad by national standards. I just really miss the bright sun and flat landscape. (as my husband says - he likes the "big sky" of FL) You can see for miles down there, but here, you feel hemmed in by the hills and trees.

We are taking a $50,000+ loss on our house, but I'm just glad a buyer came along. (from FL no less!)

I am being realistic about how life in FL will be for us. I know there is crime and times are really tough there now. I'm used to the "sketchiness" that comes with many areas of FL. You just learn to be aware and use common sense. You can't prevent everything but you can do your best.

By the way, the humidity is actually a great benefit for me. I think my skin does a lot better with some moisture (esp my face as a woman). I won't miss my dry, cracked knuckles one bit! We also have a lot more mildew in our house here in GA because of the periods when neither the A/C nor the heat is on. It gets stuffy and muggy. In FL, the A/C kept things under control and our power bills were the same or lower in FL.

8 weeks 'till we are crossin' that state line! Yee Haw!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:01 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,540,202 times
MOVED - glad you're making it back to FL! I can't wait until the day I don't have to worry about chapped hands and a chapped face from the cold weather.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:30 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,846,164 times
I forgot my most important point:

I just can't see how people in other areas of the country get up in the dark, battle frozen car locks, shovel snow, drive to work on dangerous, icy roads, work all day, and then come home in the dark (up north it gets dark around 4:30 in the dead of winter).

If I am going to have to work, I would much rather get up (still in the dark...LOL) & know that a bright, sunny day will soon be breaking. Drive to work on flat roads as the sun comes up. End the workday and still have daylight to enjoy when I get home. Be able to spend some time outside with my grill or eat dinner on the screened in porch. Take my dog for a walk around the neighborhood and not freeze my tail off.

I still remember the early mornings when I lived out in Clermont (west of Orlando). I got up at 5:45 and took the dogs outside. (often just wearing shorts and a t-shirt) One time I watched as a V shaped flock of Canadian geese flew over, honking to each other. Another time I saw a large heron silently fly right over our house. Another time a saw a shooting star. Not a bad way to start the workday in Florida!

PS - I'm trying not to get too excited about our move since anything can happen before we are at that closing table, but it looks good!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I forgot my most important point:

I just can't see how people in other areas of the country get up in the dark, battle frozen car locks, shovel snow, drive to work on dangerous, icy roads, work all day, and then come home in the dark (up north it gets dark around 4:30 in the dead of winter).

If I am going to have to work, I would much rather get up (still in the dark...LOL) & know that a bright, sunny day will soon be breaking. Drive to work on flat roads as the sun comes up. End the workday and still have daylight to enjoy when I get home. Be able to spend some time outside with my grill or eat dinner on the screened in porch. Take my dog for a walk around the neighborhood and not freeze my tail off.

I still remember the early mornings when I lived out in Clermont (west of Orlando). I got up at 5:45 and took the dogs outside. (often just wearing shorts and a t-shirt) One time I watched as a V shaped flock of Canadian geese flew over, honking to each other. Another time I saw a large heron silently fly right over our house. Another time a saw a shooting star. Not a bad way to start the workday in Florida!

PS - I'm trying not to get too excited about our move since anything can happen before we are at that closing table, but it looks good!

That IS a very good point, and let me tell you - for someone like me who hates the cold weather, I HATE it. I HATE wearing coats, and I wold mich rather wbear flip flops year round (with the exception of work if I couldn't). It stinks getting up when it's dark and coming home when it's dark - dark at 4:15PM. Gah!

Icy roads, getting stuck in snow, is not fun.

Now that the time is changing, the first day it was light out at 6:30am I had tears in my eyes. LOL, I was just so happy to see that.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:48 PM

1,682 posts, read 5,646,714 times
A couple of mornings this year when I had to find the ice scraper and scrape the ice off my windshield before going to work, I remembered what it was like to do that daily....plus going out early to warm up the car, not to mention clearing the driveway!! Oh yeah....made me VERY glad I live in Florida and scraping ice is a rare inconvenience! Here, I hit the car, start it up and am backing out of my driveway in 30 seconds flat every morning of the year!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:01 PM

I'm VERY lucky to have a garage at my apartment, but I spent many years without one, and I still have to clear it off at work, and warm it up. It's not fun and I will never miss that.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 AM
Status: "Enjoying summer while it lasts." (set 29 days ago)

3,535 posts, read 5,308,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I'm VERY lucky to have a garage at my apartment, but I spent many years without one, and I still have to clear it off at work, and warm it up. It's not fun and I will never miss that.
Ya, when you come here you better pray for a garage too... Unless you like a car that can reach 176 degrees in the summer(mine did), or you like your paint fading off the car, dashboard melting, steering wheen causing 3rd degree burns. Don't have a car with leather, you burn your butt off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida