U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2011, 05:15 PM

131,622 posts, read 43,425,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post

If Florida didn't have tourism, then how would the state survive?
We have citrus, mining, paper industry, cattle, and a whole lot of vegetable production. That's just a start. FL is not all about beaches and babes.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:52 PM

8,489 posts, read 11,189,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Number of people isn't exactly a defense, there is over 1 billion people in China and it's not exactly paradise.

Everyone I know in FL that wants to leave are stuck in their houses with FL's wonderful real estate.

Either way, 51% of people on this post did vote that it was a nice place to visit but terrible place to live.
I guess the difference between being allowed to leave someplace and not being allowed to leave someplace might be a huge difference between Florida and China.

There are people in every state that are stuck in their houses.

If you can tell me how many people in the poll have actually lived in Florida and how many have only visited it might be a relative point but you can't so it is not.

Got anything else?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 PM

178 posts, read 270,514 times
You are correct and what you are saying is exactly what we have been trying to get across. I love it here, been here in Palm Beach County since 1964, but maybe the next guy doesn't, so why sit here and complain, why say how you hate this place and knock this state. Why not just move??????
I realize it is not cheap to pick up and move, but when people come here it's no secret, it gets hot, it's humid, we have PALMETTO BUGS, (they can fly). Big deal, we have a lot's of plus things that keep people coming back for many years. Some tourists travel internationally to come here, every year.
If you don't like it here, just leave.... That's all we are saying...

Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 PM

I love this thread and I'm totally PRO Florida.

We have always been a melting pot for this country. The only thing that has never changed, is the fact that some people will come here and never come back.
BUT some people will get "SAND IN THEIR SHOES" and never want to leave, or will come back to stay........ I guess that is what makes us a very desirable place to visit

Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM

Larry, you are right you have Floridians here that really don't care what anyone thinks. WE SIMPLY FEEL :
"If you don't like this state, don't visit it. We are not going bankrupt tomorrow without your revenue. "
We all like visiting places like Colorado, New York, The Carolinas, Etc, Etc,
And we who have actually lived in those places, have chose to live in Florida.
Everyone has a preference of what they are looking for in their residency, and we do not expect to be up to everyones standards.
But, if you don't like it here, please do not complain, just find your paradise elsewhere.
And I by they way, I have lived in Palm Beach County since the early 60's, an I truely know no one that falls into the catagory of people you discribed.......

Last edited by P Andrews; 04-27-2011 at 09:26 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 03:15 AM

8,008 posts, read 3,239,787 times
Florida, I have visited, nice place, no idea what it is like to live there, all the locals I met were nice, lovely place for wildlife. Enough said.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 AM

73 posts, read 64,124 times
I'm only commenting to see if I get to be on page 100!!! This one's for you Reptoid, my CD stalker!

I have lived in Florida and I have vacationed in Florida. That is why I felt I could give MY opinion on the poll. It's great that many of you have been born there, moved there and fell in love. Super duper great. I would say for every one of you there are 2 that have moved away from Florida. I would say that MOST of the residents of the US would agree that Florida is great to visit but not to live. Look at the poll results.

Why all the negativity towards those who don't like Florida? Why do you want haters contaminating your state anyway?

Did I make it? Did I? Did I?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM

131,622 posts, read 43,425,617 times
This poll is far from accurate. It's not a Gallup quality poll. FL is what you make it.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 AM

73 posts, read 64,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
This poll is far from accurate. It's not a Gallup quality poll. FL is what you make it.
Nobody is claiming it's a Gallup quality poll. It is a representation of the people, who have lived and visited Florida. It's people's OPINIONS based on their individual experience.

Really, Florida is 'what you make it'? That sounds like something idealistic that would come out of a 9 year old's mouth who really has not had a dose of reality. Florida is what it is. You either like it, or you move. You can't 'make it' be a pleasant place to live just because you dreamt it.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 AM

14,697 posts, read 16,214,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
Nobody is claiming it's a Gallup quality poll. It is a representation of the people, who have lived and visited Florida. It's people's OPINIONS based on their individual experience.

Really, Florida is 'what you make it'? That sounds like something idealistic that would come out of a 9 year old's mouth who really has not had a dose of reality. Florida is what it is. You either like it, or you move. You can't 'make it' be a pleasant place to live just because you dreamt it.
Some real deep seeded issues above. Lots of weird resentment of geography.

Florida is not a monolithic state where everyone has the same experiences or lifestyle. Period. I do not live the same lifestyle as someone in Tallahassee, Miami, Orlando or Micanopy. Heck, I have a vastly different lifestyle than people in the SAME CITY! Like the United States, Florida IS what you CHOOSE to make of it, and where you CHOOSE to go and how you CHOOSE to live your life in Florida can mean the difference between hating it and loving it.

Problem is, you've got people who CHOOSE to move to gated, walled communities with 3 car garages comprising the entire front facade of their homes, and then complain the neighbors aren't friendly. Really Sherlock? Ya think MAYBE people who have such distrust of the outside world that they choose to live in security enhanced neighborhoods might not be as friendly or outgoing as others?

You've got people who move here with no skills, no plan and no money, and then get upset when they can't find a job making $20.00 to be a store clerk. As the bottom rungs of the economy erode, this problem is increasingly becoming an "America" problem, not a "Florida" problem.

You've got people who move here, and then complain about how hot it is, as if Florida's climate is a secret kept by the chamber of commerce in an attempt to fraudulently conceal hot summers to lure new residents! I certainly wouldn't move to Alaska and then pretend to be SHOCKED at how cold the winter is!

And by the way, while it's not a gallup poll, people who have only "visited" the state really can't say whether it's a good place to live, work, have a family, etc. Some people simply FAIL in FLorida, just as people FAIL to thrive in other "dreamer" places like NYC and Hollywood. They can't make it here, and that's really not Florida's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida