Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:15 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Christmas in Florida is just plain horrible. It's like that joke of Christmas in July, only here its the real thing in December.

Why bother at all.

More natural and real this way. Bears much more resemblance to Bethlehem(the original one, not talking about multiple western hemosphere immitations).

Old 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
More natural and real this way. Bears much more resemblance to Bethlehem(the original one, not talking about multiple western hemosphere immitations).
Doesn't MOST of the world celebrate Christmas either in an equitorial climate OR in the southern hemisphere where it's summer?

If you miss fall leaves and snow for Christmas, that's fine. (I kind of do to.)
But don't assume that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be and Forida is wrong. Most of the world doesn't live this way.

What may seem "right" to one person may be all "wrong" to another; to each their own, right?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:59 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
In Philadelphia, white Christmases were a rarity. Instead, Christmas is just plain, cold, gray, and dreary. If anything, we might get some freezing rain. Snow showers sometimes hit earlier in December and more so in Jan and Feb, with those months getting a snowfall that is pretty when it falls, but stays around to get ugly and black from the city grime. No, I will not be missing Christmas in Philadelphia as I do not miss anything about the outside of my house. As long as I have my family to celebrate with....both those who live here and those coming down here, then I am a happy camper. I will do all the same traditions and cook the same way, except this time, my family room sliders will be opened all the way so we can enjoy the beautiful lanai and lake that extends the back of my Floridian home. It won't be ugly, gray, or grimy. It won't be white either, and I am ok with that. Truly, Christmas is what you feel in your heart at the very least.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
For both Thanksgiving and Christmas I shut out the sun and palm trees as much as I can. I do not want to see them for the holidays. No, I rarely had white Christmas where I used to live but I would still take COLD, GREY, and RAINY over SUN AND PALM TREES with those stupid spirling lights up them.

Actually, I have stopped wearing capris and short sleeves now. Even if I have to SWEAT my ass off I will not dress like it is SUMMER IN DECEMBER.

I have to get out of here before I lose my mind. Truly.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:33 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
For both Thanksgiving and Christmas I shut out the sun and palm trees as much as I can. I do not want to see them for the holidays. No, I rarely had white Christmas where I used to live but I would still take COLD, GREY, and RAINY over SUN AND PALM TREES with those stupid spirling lights up them.

Actually, I have stopped wearing capris and short sleeves now. Even if I have to SWEAT my ass off I will not dress like it is SUMMER IN DECEMBER.

I hope you are seeing a therapist. It really isn't normal to complain as much as you do. If you are that miserable, I think you should figure out a way to leave now, job or no job. No job is worth losing your mind over.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:28 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
In Philadelphia, white Christmases were a rarity. Instead, Christmas is just plain, cold, gray, and dreary. If anything, we might get some freezing rain. Snow showers sometimes hit earlier in December and more so in Jan and Feb, with those months getting a snowfall that is pretty when it falls, but stays around to get ugly and black from the city grime. No, I will not be missing Christmas in Philadelphia as I do not miss anything about the outside of my house. As long as I have my family to celebrate with....both those who live here and those coming down here, then I am a happy camper. I will do all the same traditions and cook the same way, except this time, my family room sliders will be opened all the way so we can enjoy the beautiful lanai and lake that extends the back of my Floridian home. It won't be ugly, gray, or grimy. It won't be white either, and I am ok with that. Truly, Christmas is what you feel in your heart at the very least.
There's a guy in Royal Palm Beach down the street from my mom who paints his lawn white every year (I don't know what kind of paint it is--must be whatever they use on sports fields). A lot of people in her neighborhood, including her, decorate pretty elaborately for the holidays.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:

<sings for TANaples> "I'm dreaming of a cold, gray, rainy Christmas . . ."

Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I'm sorry to say, but I think most people would want a colder, wintry Christmas. I doubt many people want Christmas feeling like summer. Why do you think white Christmases are so special and sung about? Because everyone hates when it snows on Christmas? lol

Old 11-01-2008, 08:47 AM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
I hope its cold at Christmas this yr... I remember last yr I was in S FL, on Christmas Eve,and it felt pretty warm and humid.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Well, it was 89 degrees last Thanksgiving when I was roasting my turkey all day. Had to blast the AC. I kept thinking to myself this is crazy. And I used to complain when it was 60 degrees on Thanksgiving in NY? Yes, Virginia, that does happen sometimes.

This year I won't have that problem. I will be back in NY for Thanksgiving. Spending Christmas here in Florida this year (boooo), but next year will probably go back to NY for Christmas. YEAH! I am also going to NY in JANUARY for a nice long weekend. OMG JANUARY. It will probably be VERY COLD. LOL

I have to go back as much as possible in Fall AND Winter. Hopefully, it will make me feel better and make my time here pass quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida