Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:27 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Number of people isn't exactly a defense, there is over 1 billion people in China and it's not exactly paradise.

Everyone I know in FL that wants to leave are stuck in their houses with FL's wonderful real estate.

Either way, 51% of people on this post did vote that it was a nice place to visit but terrible place to live.

China is not somewhere whose growth is fuled by migration and immigration. Florida is. Just like New York... it's not for everyone, and that's a good thing, because we don't WANT everyone to live here!

Florida appeals to many people. "Natives" want things to stay the same, and thus are some of the most vocal on changes to Florida.... BUT, Florida never does stay the same. It grows and evolves over the decades. Been like that for the past 100 years or so, and we should expect things to continue to change and evolve over the next 100.

By the way: You and others who have or want to leave will have to understand that many of us are very happy or at least content where we are.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
I understand, all I'm saying is I know a fair share of people who grew up in FL and have never even really been anywhere else. You at least owe it to yourself to check out other places and see what they are like. Maybe it is because of the changes, I dunno, I lived in FL for 27 years and was just fine for most of it.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM

73 posts, read 113,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post

That must be why Florida is the 4th most populated state in the US. What's Colorado again... 22nd wow.
If this were a 'population-off' you would toooootally win!!!
In spite of the #22 ranking, I would list Colorado as a great place to live AND vacation.
By the way being #4 is that supposed to be a good thing? Cuz last time I checked those people populating Florida are not exactly the cream of the crop if you know what I mean. Lunatics and ex-cons dropped off at the beach and procreating.....but I digress.

This thread is funny. I knew I would see countless posts of angry Floridians 'go back to where you came from!' and 'you're unhappy anywhere!' and other classy variations.
Sorry, it's true. Florida is a lovely place to visit but terrible place to live. Stop the denial. What do you care anyway? They're just opinions of losers who weren't cool enough to cut it in Florida.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Quote:
Having been born in FL and lived there 99% of my life I think it's a bad place to live. I think really the only people who like it just don't know any better and haven't seen other places. Moved to Colorado about a year ago and it's really like 100 times better in pretty much every way (IMO of course).

Having grown up in Florida I know a lot of natives, and pretty much everyone I know wants out

Nah, you're wrong. I have lived in Alaska, Washington, Texas and now Florida. Each place is great and has their own pros and cons. We like it here best, so far.

Colorado is a great state and very beautiful. But man people are not interested in driving on roads with large cliffs during the winter time. Not everyone likes snow and winter.

I think its absurd the debate about how awesome Florida is or how much it sucks always come up. Everybody likes different things. If we all liked the same things life would be boring. I refuse to east mushrooms in my food, I think they are gross.... but I understand that many people do like them... for reasons I cannot understand. Does that mean mushrooms suck? Well, to me.. yeah... but not to many, many other people.

You have to take each place you live for what it is.

Alaska
Pros: Beautiful, gorgeous, best summers on the planet, great fishing and great people.
Cons: Long cold dark winters, costs a fortune to travel out of state, high cost of living, many stores cannot be found there.

Washington
Pros: Beautiful, Major hub airport in Seatac, great metropolis area (Seattle), no snow in winters, mild summers, lots of water.
Cons: High cost of living, lots of dreary cloudy days, tons and tons of traffic.

Texas
Pros: Affordable cost of living, friendly people, good education system (where we lived), excellent BBQ, cheap gas.
Cons: Landlocked (where we lived), winters do get below freezing often but they are short and no snow, everything is newly developed resulting in chain stores galore.

Florida
Pros: Excellent winters, best boating and fishing in the country, lots of family activities, lots of nature and the Caribbean out your back door.
Cons: Some counties have terrible educational systems, weird news all the time, lots of old people, due to its transient nature not a large sense of community.

Dependent on the lens you are looking through, your opinions will vary.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 AM

73 posts, read 113,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
China is not somewhere whose growth is fuled by migration and immigration. Florida is. Just like New York... it's not for everyone, and that's a good thing, because we don't WANT everyone to live here!

Florida appeals to many people. "Natives" want things to stay the same, and thus are some of the most vocal on changes to Florida.... BUT, Florida never does stay the same. It grows and evolves over the decades. Been like that for the past 100 years or so, and we should expect things to continue to change and evolve over the next 100.

By the way: You and others who have or want to leave will have to understand that many of us are very happy or at least content where we are.
What a typical post. ***MOD CUT*** It's a good thing that you don't WANT everyone to live in YOUR state. It ensures that all people with your mindset stay right there where you are happy, among like-minded people like you. That way you don't taint the rest of this lovely country with your ignorance.

Oh, and I can't even get into how ignorant it is to compare China and it's economy to tourism in Florida. The original poster was commenting on the fact that it's ridiculous to tout population alone as a factor that your state is DA BEST, because China has a large population but is far from paradise. Compreende?

If Florida didn't have tourism, then how would the state survive? You should be nicer to us would-be tourists who may be considering coming over to hand over our hard earned dollars to help boost your economy.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-28-2011 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: racial attacks not allowed

Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
What a typical post. ***MOD CUT*** It's a good thing that you don't WANT everyone to live in YOUR state. It ensures that all people with your mindset stay right there where you are happy, among like-minded people like you. That way you don't taint the rest of this lovely country with your ignorance.
I'm pretty sure he means that it's good that people have different tastes, or else certain places would become vastly overpopulated. You're trying to make an issue out of something that doesn't really matter.

Quote:
If Florida didn't have tourism, then how would the state survive? You should be nicer to us would-be tourists who may be considering coming over to hand over our hard earned dollars to help boost your economy.
I'm sure the cotton farmers in the Panhandle, the citrus farmers, cattle ranchers, and phosphate miners in Central Florida, and the sugar cane farmers in South Florida wouldn't care.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-28-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
All of this I like this place, or whatever is opinion, but there are factual based things that can make something good or bad.

Example, high unemployment rate, high obesity rate, high foreclosure rate, high diabetes rate, etc... these aren't opinions just facts about certain places.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:

Oh, and I can't even get into how ignorant it is to compare China and it's economy to tourism in Florida. The original poster was commenting on the fact that it's ridiculous to tout population alone as a factor that your state is DA BEST, because China has a large population but is far from paradise. Compreende?

Way to completely misconstrue and misinterpret an entire post, Larry! None of your response is even remotely on point to anything I wrote, but I hope it made you feel better writing it.

The tourism thing? Why are you even bringing that up?

BTW, of COURSE we don't want EVERYONE to live here! Where would they live, Larry? How would scarce resources keep up? What do you propose?

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-28-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Number of people isn't exactly a defense, there is over 1 billion people in China and it's not exactly paradise.

Everyone I know in FL that wants to leave are stuck in their houses with FL's wonderful real estate.

Either way, 51% of people on this post did vote that it was a nice place to visit but terrible place to live.
Wow so my assertion of how quickly Florida is growing is off, but your source, a City-Data poll, is a much more accurate measure.

Quote:
If this were a 'population-off' you would toooootally win!!!
In spite of the #22 ranking, I would list Colorado as a great place to live AND vacation.
By the way being #4 is that supposed to be a good thing? Cuz last time I checked those people populating Florida are not exactly the cream of the crop if you know what I mean. Lunatics and ex-cons dropped off at the beach and procreating.....but I digress.

This thread is funny. I knew I would see countless posts of angry Floridians 'go back to where you came from!' and 'you're unhappy anywhere!' and other classy variations.
Sorry, it's true. Florida is a lovely place to visit but terrible place to live. Stop the denial. What do you care anyway? They're just opinions of losers who weren't cool enough to cut it in Florida.
Nobody's in denial, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. And your opinions about the type of people populating Florida are way off base, rude, and untrue.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:10 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Larry, don't take it here! Respect the fact that there's 98 pages in this thread and start your own thread if you want to stir people up! Folks, do not engage this guy. We don't want an almost historical (98 pages! My God!!!) thread getting shut down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida