U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-19-2008, 10:41 AM

3,534 posts, read 5,054,252 times
You're welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaMike View Post
My wife and I discovered this thread last night, and really enjoyed finding all the kindred souls who had posted here. I am a south Florida native, and my wife is a California transplant. Neither one of us like Florida, and we dream of a day when we can get out.

I agree with most of the anti-Florida sentiments posted here earlier. The weather here is awful, consistently hot and muggy. And the climate is a lot like the landscape - the same no matter where you go in the state. I've visited a number of other states, and I have to say that the sights are very mundane and very boring. A historically low cost of living has also invited a large population of "undesirables" from other states. People here are probably not the worst, but many of them are pretty bad. If I have to hear another local newscaster talk about how this is paradise, I think I'm gonna lose my lunch.

The lack of seasons is a constant source of a depressed malaise feeling as well. Putting up Christmas lights outside, wearing shorts and a T-shirt in November, when it is 87 degrees outside, sweat dripping from your face, sorta takes all the fun out of it. Not exactly the same experience as the Grizwald's had in Christmas Vacation. And 84 degrees on Christmas makes the world seem a little less joyous too. One of my favorite lines form a movie comes from Home Alone II. The family is planning to spend their Christmas vacation in Miami, and Kevin asks his mother, "Who wants to spend Christmas in a tropical climate, anyway?!". I probably repeat that quote 100 times between Thanksgiving and New Years.

I think what keeps us here is family connections, but mostly uncertainty about job markets and housing in other states - just the fear of the unknown. We watch house hunting shows to catch a glimpse, and maybe get an idea of other areas. Hopefully soon we will settle on an area, and start making plans to move there.

Anyways, thanks for this thread, and all who have added topical content. Nice to know we are not alone out there.

Unread 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM

72 posts, read 97,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaMike View Post
If I have to hear another local newscaster talk about how this is paradise, I think I'm gonna lose my lunch.
You and me both! Nauseating.

Unread 09-19-2008, 02:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,662,159 times
Default Add me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine View Post
You and me both! Nauseating.
When I was up North, I NEVER put on my AC unless the temps were over 85 degrees. 70s? NEVER. The difference is the HUMIDITY. Here it is on in the 70s to take the HUMIDITY out.

I've said this before, it has to get into the 60s and 50s (rare nights) before you can shut down the AC when there is no humidity.

Unread 09-19-2008, 03:09 PM

72 posts, read 97,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
When I was up North, I NEVER put on my AC unless the temps were over 85 degrees. 70s? NEVER. The difference is the HUMIDITY. Here it is on in the 70s to take the HUMIDITY out.

I've said this before, it has to get into the 60s and 50s (rare nights) before you can shut down the AC when there is no humidity.
This year Imitation Winter went away in early February. I couldn't believe the air back then. It was way too early to be so hot and humid.

It's so exciting when, for those two days in December (or January), I can actually wear a jacket!

Unread 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Yep, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine View Post
This year Imitation Winter went away in early February. I couldn't believe the air back then. It was way too early to be so hot and humid.

It's so exciting when, for those two days in December (or January), I can actually wear a jacket!
by Noon, you are taking it off and carrying it around with you.

Unread 09-19-2008, 04:39 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,762,970 times
Quote:
by Noon, you are taking it off and carrying it around with you.
haha very true. It's like a tease.

Unread 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM

Well, here is what I will be seeing in a little over a week...

Unread 09-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Palm trees pale, literally, in comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
Well, here is what I will be seeing in a little over a week...

I really cannot see how they can be considered beautiful even when alive. When they die, they turn brown and ugly. They look like road kill in the middle of a street.

I am going to NY Columbus Day weekend. It's still a bit early. I hope the leaves have at least started to turn then.

Since you are moving back permanent, at least you will be there to enjoy them.

Unread 09-20-2008, 10:34 AM

I'll send you pictures anytime you want to make you feel better if you want?

Quote:
I really cannot see how they can be considered beautiful even when alive. When they die, they turn brown and ugly. They look like road kill in the middle of a street.

I am going to NY Columbus Day weekend. It's still a bit early. I hope the leaves have at least started to turn then.

Since you are moving back permanent, at least you will be there to enjoy them.

Unread 09-20-2008, 10:37 AM

I agree, I never thought Palms were attractive at all. I was excited to see them the first week I moved to FL a long time ago, but not since. There are nice flowered trees here, like midnight Jasmine, and Gardenia's and a few other ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida