Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 PM

72 posts, read 162,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome Home View Post
Yes, I did......
Just rambled on because I miss Florida.
You and I have opposite feelings about Florida (overrated sunshine, love gray skies, etc.) but I know what it feels like to miss a place.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
TANaples and I go back a long way, a couple of the original malcontents. Yes it is hard to hold back on here, but a little silence of the heart(and mouth) goes a long way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine View Post
We're tied for first place. Let me tell you, I hold back an awful lot on this forum.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
TANaples and I go back a long way, a couple of the original malcontents. Yes it is hard to hold back on here, but a little silence of the heart(and mouth) goes a long way...
Oh, I know, been lurking here for a long time. In good company. I was just thinking about the extreme, intense hatred I have for Florida in general. "Hater" is a better word for me, come to think of it.

And yes, it does go a long way.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:44 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default You moved here as a kid?

Quote:
Oh, I know, been lurking here for a long time. In good company. I was just thinking about the extreme, intense hatred I have for Florida in general. "Hater" is a better word for me, come to think of it.

That must really be rough. I know some people think that growing up here from childhood will make kids love it, but I know that isn't always true. Like the little boy from Michigan who I work with. He is only 8 years old, but my husband's boss came here as a teenager and is now 45 years old and still hates it. He says it all the time. He says he is just waiting for retirement to leave. All his siblings have long since moved back to NY. He stayed here for his widowed Dad.

Most people here know my story. I suppose mine is the most different than 99.9% of the people who move to Florida, especially in that, I lived here 30 years ago, left, and never wanted to come back. Just try to think how that would make one feel?

There was another posting about ways in which we "malcontents" cope. We talked about decorating our homes with Fall, Winter themes, etc. I just thought of something else. In the middle of the winter, it sometimes gets to the 50s or a few times, the 40s at NIGHT. I have to get up for work very early anyway. On these nights when I know it will get "cold", I set my alarm to get up about 4 AM. I put on the flannel pj's, fleece robe, and go sit on my lanai in the dark of night. I just sit there. I cannot see anything but darkness outside. I feel the nice cool breeze (not COLD) on my face and again, try to pretend I am back up north. It does feel nice because it is so dark out and I cannot really see the palms trees, etc. The major difference is the smell. Even though at those temps, the humidity is just about gone, it just does not have the same smell. There are no smells of fireplaces or that musky smell of northern woods. It still has the tropical smell, but I suppose I should just be grateful just for the cool air.

Yes, I can believe you hate it. I do feel that myself, but you do reach a point where you just become numb. You just don't care about nothing anymore. It kind of sustains you, especially when you cannot do anything about it in the immediate future. I wonder. Maybe this is what some people call rudeness? You just alienate yourself from everything. It is a coping mechanism. I also find that because of my job, I have to now spend more and more time outside. I also find that I desire to go out less and less in my free time. If I didn't have to go to work, I would probably just lock myself up in my house and only go out for necessitaties.

Well, enough of my ramblings. Just know you have people here you can understand how you feel.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Well, enough of my ramblings. Just know you have people here you can understand how you feel.
I know, and that brings a smile to my face. Even though I know people personally who really hate Florida, no one in my life seems to hate it quite as much as I do. But when I read this forum, I realize there are others and I feel less alone.

The numbness sounds familiar. But no, I cannot imagine leaving Florida for good and then having to come back!

I actually hate to complain so much, because this is where God put me and I am very fortunate. If this is where I have to live for the next 50 years, I can do it. But no way will I like it.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Ya, you have been on City D for a while. You just started to express how you feel. Well, join the rest of us...

I'll still be on the threads here, but from a different happy place...LOL.

Quote:

Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
Quote:

I have been doing the exact same thing. Lurking and reading these anti FL threads and feeling happy as hell to be outta there! It took me a long time to finally do it, but it is the best thing I ever did. I hope everyone who wants out gets their wish!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 PM

My wish is coming true next weekend!

It just takes time and a little work, PLUS A LOT OF PATIENCE!!! Soon enough you will be on the way out(Citrine). It's been a long 3 or so months of saving every paycheck, and getting determined to go where I want to be. And STAY this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I have been doing the exact same thing. Lurking and reading these anti FL threads and feeling happy as hell to be outta there! It took me a long time to finally do it, but it is the best thing I ever did. I hope everyone who wants out gets their wish!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
This is so funny, I do something similar, I put on my snowboard pants and a long sleeve thin shirt and go outside in the back yard. Those two nights that it does get really cold, I will put on my ski jacket, hat, gloves, scarf and take the dogs for a walk at night. Oh that crisp air against your face...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
There was another posting about ways in which we "malcontents" cope. We talked about decorating our homes with Fall, Winter themes, etc. I just thought of something else. In the middle of the winter, it sometimes gets to the 50s or a few times, the 40s at NIGHT. I have to get up for work very early anyway. On these nights when I know it will get "cold", I set my alarm to get up about 4 AM. I put on the flannel pj's, fleece robe, and go sit on my lanai in the dark of night. I just sit there. I cannot see anything but darkness outside. I feel the nice cool breeze (not COLD) on my face and again, try to pretend I am back up north. It does feel nice because it is so dark out and I cannot really see the palms trees, etc. The major difference is the smell. Even though at those temps, the humidity is just about gone, it just does not have the same smell. There are no smells of fireplaces or that musky smell of northern woods. It still has the tropical smell, but I suppose I should just be grateful just for the cool air.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,879 times
Default Agree ... Florida ain't that great

My wife and I discovered this thread last night, and really enjoyed finding all the kindred souls who had posted here. I am a south Florida native, and my wife is a California transplant. Neither one of us like Florida, and we dream of a day when we can get out.

I agree with most of the anti-Florida sentiments posted here earlier. The weather here is awful, consistently hot and muggy. And the climate is a lot like the landscape - the same no matter where you go in the state. I've visited a number of other states, and I have to say that the sights are very mundane and very boring. A historically low cost of living has also invited a large population of "undesirables" from other states. People here are probably not the worst, but many of them are pretty bad. If I have to hear another local newscaster talk about how this is paradise, I think I'm gonna lose my lunch.

The lack of seasons is a constant source of a depressed malaise feeling as well. Putting up Christmas lights outside, wearing shorts and a T-shirt in November, when it is 87 degrees outside, sweat dripping from your face, sorta takes all the fun out of it. Not exactly the same experience as the Grizwald's had in Christmas Vacation. And 84 degrees on Christmas makes the world seem a little less joyous too. One of my favorite lines form a movie comes from Home Alone II. The family is planning to spend their Christmas vacation in Miami, and Kevin asks his mother, "Who wants to spend Christmas in a tropical climate, anyway?!". I probably repeat that quote 100 times between Thanksgiving and New Years.

I think what keeps us here is family connections, but mostly uncertainty about job markets and housing in other states - just the fear of the unknown. We watch house hunting shows to catch a glimpse, and maybe get an idea of other areas. Hopefully soon we will settle on an area, and start making plans to move there.

Anyways, thanks for this thread, and all who have added topical content. Nice to know we are not alone out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida