U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 AM

3,535 posts, read 5,482,343 times
Default For those who are miserable in FL only...

I think it's safe to say I can possibly start a thread for us negative people who just want to move away from Florida? Move to our home state, or another place we can be happy.

Post our positive outlooks on where we are headed? What things make us happy where we are going?

Why we are leaving Florida too.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,253,006 times
Oh boy, you know this is going to make the "paradise loving locals" mad, but who cares lol

Old 08-07-2008, 11:58 AM

3,535 posts, read 5,482,343 times
Not too worried about it. I figure if I start my own thread where us "miserable people" can all vent, the paradise lovers can go on with thier happy lives on the other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Oh boy, you know this is going to make the "paradise loving locals" mad, but who cares lol

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-07-2008 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: This is not the right place for complaints.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,922,972 times
Default I guess I am your top contender for this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I think it's safe to say I can possibly start a thread for us negative people who just want to move away from Florida? Move to our home state, or another place we can be happy.

Post our positive outlooks on where we are headed? What things make us happy where we are going?

The same as you, this is not my first time living in Florida, so I KNEW exactly what it would be like. Unlike you, I DIDN'T want to come back here the second time. I did not move here either time for the sunshine, beaches, etc.

I moved here first in May of 1971 for a PERSON, not the state. I lived in Gainesville then. By the time December came around I couldn't take the warm weather anymore, besides missing my parents back then. Mind you this was Gainesville, where it was much cooler than Naples where I am now. I wanted COLD, not 70 degrees in December. Even the 30s at night at Gainesville were not enough. It warmed up too much in the days.

I can remember the day I came back as if it was yesterday. Riding that Greyhound bus on the Jersey Tpke. and how all the people on that bus CHEERED when the driver announced that the Manhattan skyline was coming into view. It was SNOWING that day! I was so happy to be home. I swore I would never go back.

I came back to NY for 30 years. In all that time, I came back to visit Florida only 3 times; once as a newlywed for a free trip to Miami Beach, once to see Disney Word and my husband's aunt in Tampa before we had kids, and one more time when my kids were little to Disney World. Each time I returned to NY, I said to myself that I was so glad I didn't have to live in Florida anymore. My husband and daughter went to Florida more times for Disney World and Spring Training. I didn't go. I just didn't want to go back to Florida anymore. 3 times was enough for me. My older daughter didn't want to go either and stayed home with me. Since she was a baby in diapers, she has always complained about being hot.

I was absolutely CRUSHED when my husband got the job here. I DID NOT want to move here ever again. In fact, I fought it TOOTH and NAIL. I had to choose between him or this state. We reached a compromise after 3 years. When we can retire, we will go back to NY. Since that will be at least 5 or 6 years, I have to stay until then. I am going to try to go back to NY as much as I can possibly afford to until that that, in Fall and Winter. So here goes.

I want to be able to HUG my kids, not say say hi on a computer. I want to be able to go look at houses with them. I want to be able to go to wedding dinners, showers, etc. I want to be able to cook a nice dinner with a roaring fire going for my future son-in-law's parents. I want to be able to just sit around and laugh and talk with them again. I want to be able to be there when my older daughter needs to have a shoulder to cry on or another bed to sleep in. I want to be able to see my future grandkids grow up. I want to go to their soccer or hockey games.

I want to feel the first nip of cold in the air. I want to be able to wear jeans, hoodies, long wool sweaters, coats and boots. I want to put on flannel pj's and crawl under a nice down comforter while the winds howl and the snow comes down at night. I want to go apple and pumpkin picking as I look at the beautiful fall leaves. I want to SMELL Fall and Winter. I want to smell fireplaces going as I walk through the snow. I want to put the oven on and cook and bake for hours. I want to see flowers coming up through the dirt after the snow melts. I want to see REAL trees which grow, change colors, then die, and bloom again in the spring. I want to SMELL spring in the air.

I don't know if that really answered your OP, but I guess it's a start.

Last edited by TANaples; 08-07-2008 at 01:05 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,922,972 times
Default I think I just realized what it all is about

Quote:

Just looking at part of what I posted. I think those of us who really enjoy being up North are more sensual people. The 4 seasons feeds our senses more. That is why we are happier there.

Does that make "sense"? lol

Old 08-07-2008, 03:20 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,989,695 times
Quote:

A thread can be used to present your concerns, but the bashing and insults are not allowed. If you present your views without breaking the rules no problem. I'm listing a few that you all need to review and follow:

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Link to the TOS http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

If you can stay within our rules post, if you can't not please don't post.

Thank you.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,085,519 times
I a heading to Indiana at the end of this month. Whooo-hooo!

I did not want to come back here, but my husband insisted for family reasons. I am leaving my husband and his family here to sweat their butts off, unemployed.

I will be happy to be just an unemployed somewhere that does not cost so much just to live. I am looking at dozens of houses under $20K! Most of them just need new carpet & fresh paint, but some need more. I took a trip up there a couple of weeks ago to house hunt. Made an offer, but someone beat me to it by a couple of hours. House had been on the market for a while & the seller was so excited to get an offer they accepted on the spot. Mine came in for more money a few hours later. There are many, many more up there for me to look at.

I just want to have some space around me where I don't know what the neighbors are eating because I can smell it cooking, or know how long it takes them to have sex because I can hear it. I want to wear layers of clothes and my ear muffs.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM

6,395 posts, read 12,591,256 times
You almost got me thinking maybe we should move to the northeast with this paragraph. I can just imagine everything you said. As a native Floridian those 3 days of cool crisp air gets me energized, oh the smell of a fireplace is so nice on those crisp days up north...

To the OP I just want to be able to wear a scarf, or be able to go to a real pumpkin patch. I can't wait to live in a cooler place so i can exercise outdoors 2/3 of the year. I can't wait to live in a place that people actually enjoy the holidays like they should be enjoyed. Christmas actually being cool and being able to wear pants or a sweater on Christmas day (no shorts or flip flops), and the 4th of July I look forward to actually spending it outdoors with no mosquitos. I look forward to not having a hurricane season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I want to feel the first nip of cold in the air. I want to be able to wear jeans, hoodies, long wool sweaters, coats and boots. I want to put on flannel pj's and crawl under a nice down comforter while the winds howl and the snow comes down at night. I want to go apple and pumpkin picking as I look at the beautiful fall leaves. I want to SMELL Fall and Winter. I want to smell fireplaces going as I walk through the snow. I want to put the oven on and cook and bake for hours. I want to see flowers coming up through the dirt after the snow melts. I want to see REAL trees which grow, change colors, then die, and bloom again in the spring. I want to SMELL spring in the air.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 PM

878 posts, read 2,851,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I want to be able to HUG my kids, not say say hi on a computer. I want to be able to go look at houses with them. I want to be able to go to wedding dinners, showers, etc. I want to be able to cook a nice dinner with a roaring fire going for my future son-in-law's parents. I want to be able to just sit around and laugh and talk with them again. I want to be able to be there when my older daughter needs to have a shoulder to cry on or another bed to sleep in. I want to be able to see my future grandkids grow up. I want to go to their soccer or hockey games.

I don't know if that really answered your OP, but I guess it's a start.
The first paragraph are the most wonderful reasons to want to move.

I moved from Fla, after living there for 20+ years to GA. I was born and raised in Ct, so I know about winter. I have to say one or two days of cold is nice here, but it does get old, and fast. I am a warm weather girl, and if I could live fall, spring and summer here, and winter in FLA, my world would be complete!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,307,894 times
I to am hoping to leave Florida soon aswell. As a young professional I find that the lack of career opportunities, low wages, and lack of culture makes Florida the wrong place for me to live. I also have a daughter now and want her to experience childhood as I did growing up in the North East. I miss the strong sense of community and pride of my old neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida