U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 45,789 times

Advertisements

We have purchased a home in Florida and plan to live there 6 months out of the year. How do most Snowbirds handle the need for a vehicle? Our home the other six months of the year is Oregon - so we don't plan to drive to Florida. Our home does not have a covered garage, so we don't want to leave a vehicle there. We thought about shipping a vehicle back and forth... but that gets a bit spendy. Does anyone know anything about short term rentals or leases? The little I have found on those seem awfully expensive - more than shipping!

Any advice?
Thanks a bunch!
Cpow
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,741,043 times
It would be cheaper for you to buy a used car and keep it in Florida. The shipping back and forth would be outrageous after a while.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,669,139 times
I agree that the best route possible would be to register and keep an older car in Florida. This offers you a number of benefits, as well. This could be your first step in establishing Florida residency (therefore, no state income tax and the initial perk of SOH/ reduced property taxes). Without state vehicle inspections, you would only need to pay the insurance, registration fees, and possibly someone trustworthy to drive it for you occasionally. Be warned, however, Florida auto insurance will probably cost close to double what you are paying now.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,687,245 times
Question AmTrak???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpow View Post
We have purchased a home in Florida and plan to live there 6 months out of the year. How do most Snowbirds handle the need for a vehicle? Our home the other six months of the year is Oregon - so we don't plan to drive to Florida. Our home does not have a covered garage, so we don't want to leave a vehicle there. We thought about shipping a vehicle back and forth... but that gets a bit spendy. Does anyone know anything about short term rentals or leases? The little I have found on those seem awfully expensive - more than shipping!

Any advice?
Thanks a bunch!
Cpow
I'm not sure if there is a rail system out there...but my brother goes to Florida for 3 to 4 months every year...he drives down to Washington, DC and puts his vehicle on the Amtrak Train...takes longer than driving...but he has his own vehicle for his time there...perhaps there is something similar out there......and something to remember...most insurance companies only offer coverage for 30 days on a rental car...so check it out...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
Default Depends where you are going

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I'm not sure if there is a rail system out there...but my brother goes to Florida for 3 to 4 months every year...he drives down to Washington, DC and puts his vehicle on the Amtrak Train...takes longer than driving...but he has his own vehicle for his time there...perhaps there is something similar out there......and something to remember...most insurance companies only offer coverage for 30 days on a rental car...so check it out...
Amtrak only going goes to certain cities. I suppose you could then drive your car to your final destination wherever that may be. I am guessing it won't be cheap to take a car on Amtrak. I checked into Amtrak for my older daughter who was afraid of flying. The train was not much less than a plane and the time to get here was a measured in days, not hours. You could almost as easily drive down yourself.

My two next door neighbors are both snowbirds; one from UK and other from Pa. They keep cars down here in their garages.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:49 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,256,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
It would be cheaper for you to buy a used car and keep it in Florida. The shipping back and forth would be outrageous after a while.
I choose the above, if $$ and cents is a factor.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM

2,867 posts, read 6,403,332 times
There are plenty of snowbirds here with "condo cars". They leave them at their condo when they are gone. Sometimes they use a car cover. Another option is rent an open space in a storage lot. Plenty of people keep their car, boat, RV there.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 AM

28 posts, read 85,044 times
Just curious since you've been to both places and must like them enough to live in each one half of each year...My question to you is I have decided to relocate to Portland from Orlando and I need your advice/ opinion on what I should expect. I know its a drastic change, which is, quite honestly, why it appeals to me so much. I crave to be outdoors and be surrounded by Oregon's natural beauty. I'm over Florida's beaches and theme parks and outlet malls...It's all become very boring to me. Buy, my question is, am I expecting to much? Is it worth the 3000 mile trip?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,648,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
It would be cheaper for you to buy a used car and keep it in Florida.
There is no better advice here. Buy a second car, insure it in FL and let your insurance agent know that the car is going to be garaged in FL year round and will be unused 6 months of the year and they will give you a much lower rate during that time so for the most part, your car will not cost you anything to keep it in FL. Take a taxi to the airport from your home and from the airport to your winter home.

On the subject of no garage at your home, you would do well to invest in a carport to at least keep the sun from overly damaging the interior for the 6 months that you aren't there. If you check around, you might be surprised how economical an addition of a carport can be for you.

Since you will have to arrange for someone to maintain the yard at the FL property on a regular basis, you might want to include some work on your FL car, too. You could hire someone to wash and wax the car as it sits in your driveway, apply ArmorAll or some similar protectant to the tires once a month.

A membership with AAA (American Automobile Association) will give you free jump starts when needed. It is a real treasure to have no matter how much or how little you use your car.

There is no living without a car in FL. You just about have to have one.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 12,368 times
There are reasonable services in Canada that will drive your car to and from Florida every year. Probably cheaper than buying another car and insuring and plating it plus I believe you can load all your stuff in the trunk (you can bring a lot more stuff back and forth). Check out carstoflorida.com

[url]http://www.carstoflorida.com[/url] They seem to have a happy clientele
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida