U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 7,044,178 times
I don't get why the OP is asking the question since he used to live here in Florida himself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM

131,636 posts, read 42,818,699 times
Something to think about. If you carry a gun on you hip can you out draw the bad guy(s). I think not. That was in the wild west Hollywood days. If you frequent an area where you feel like it would be a must, how long do you think you would survive before a gang of thugs would kill you for another gun? Just a thought.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,123,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
There is no law that says..."Canada...thou shalt have low crime." LOL.

What can we learn from Canada? I suppose there are some things if I really sat down to think about it. I've been up here 8 years and can't stand living here.

But in regard to fighting crime I don't think there is anything one could learn. Zippo. Nada. Low crime is NOT a factor here of better enforcement. Better and tougher laws and sentences - they are an absolute joke. People go out and decide to kill someone on the spur of the moment, get charged with second degree murder, and end up with 4 or 5 years in the can on a first offense. While the family of the murdered victim suffers their whole life! It makes me sick I tell you. It happens all the time here. Sentences here are insanely ridiculous. If you are going to commit crimes come to Canada!

Sentences here are based in part on the likelihood of the criminal reforming (can you hear it? Yes your honor...I promise to do better. I promise!). And what their background has been. How rough they have had it in life as a mitigating circumstance.

Low crime here in my opinion is a result of various factors. Strong family connections. Low transience. The generally passive nature of the Canadian psychic. The extreme cold weather - yes, that is a factor. Plentiful jobs and great pay (at least in Alberta). It's not the police or the laws in my opinion.

I will say one nice thing about Canada though...the police here are absolutely professional bar none. I have been stopped about 10 times (I live in my truck and sometimes it looks a bit suspicious) and every single time with rare exception the cops here have been ultra-professional, nice, respectful, and have not abused their authority once.

Florida cops treat everyone like if they are suspected of committing a crime and could learn a thing or two from Canadian police. I never imagined a cop lying under oath until I saw one do that in Florida where I was a witness for the defence. Unreal!

Carlos
Thank you for reply, yes Canada is just like any other place in the world, crime will take place. But you bring a point that is found all over the world and quote "Strong family connections." I translate it into family values and a solid core of a family. Something that has deteriorated and we don't want to look at our mistakes.

Until we step to the plate and sit on the table no change will take place.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,446,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post

I think people who don't live in/near NYC have the NYC in the 1980s mentality. It's nothing like it was then. The south Bronx isn't no man's land anymore with rubble/abandoned buildings, but it's still no walk in the park, even though it's much safer than it used to be. It's a little something I call street smarts. I know women teachers in their 50s who walk in deserted areas near the school and nothing has ever happened to them.
The reverse could be said about Florida. It is not the quaint safe old Florida of the 80's or even 90's or even early 2000's for that matter.

Have you lived here? At 24, it's probably safe to say not really. Saying Florida is so safe while you're in NYC is the same as us projecting about NYC from here. (except I know about NYC and also know it's not nearly as "wild west" as it used to be pre Guiliani.)

Things are getting WORSE in Florida than better. Juxtapose with things getting BETTER in New York. Do you need to carry a gun here? No. Do you need to wonder about safety (being short and pudgy ) when sitting in Canada reading stories? Yes.

Two unrelated separate incidents of women and their children being kidnapped from the Boca Raton mall happened last year. UNSOLVED. To my knowledge it was not even suggested that it was the husbands as you would immediately wonder. I think one woman escaped the other is missing if I'm not mistaken.....

Had that happen in the Bronx lately?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,416,037 times
It can happen anywhere. I'm not saying bad things will JUST happen mostly in the south Bronx because it's stereotyped to be a huge crime spot. I'm just saying, anyone can walk around in a bad area and be fine. Not be afraid plays a big role in how much crime you personally encounter. Of course there's the chance that you'll be in the wrong spot at the wrong time and something will accidentally happen, but I'm just saying you can avoid it a lot if you can based on your mentality. You probably know what I mean.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 20,096,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The reverse could be said about Florida. It is not the quaint safe old Florida of the 80's or even 90's or even early 2000's for that matter.
Are you kidding me?

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/flcrime.htm

Watch the trends and watch the size of the population. Crime is up from record lows in 2006.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM

By the way, Rachel, the third night I was living in my brand new rental house, 2600 sq foot, in beautiful Vero Beach, a gated GUARDED HOA community, I saw a human shadow against my patio wall at midnight.

I was sitting in a robe type of thing at my open patio door watching tv. My patio faces an entire estuary of wildlife and wetlands you can't see in from any house.

I watched this shadow of a man frozen for quite some time like 10 minutes. I sneak a glance and it's some guy hiding behind the concrete pillar of my patio .

Of course being from Philly and spending my whole life in NYC up and down the village and lower east side some a@@hole is not going to intimidate me so I start yelling at him and he takes off.

Well guess what this is my immediate neighbor across the street. I right away called and had solar reflective window film put up to prevent further peeping tom-ing into the window.

NICE. Move all the way to freaking Florida to live next to a random idiot wierdo.

The following two weeks I personally met and spoke with, unknowingly TWO registered VIOLENT sex offenders living right in the neighborhood.

Another time, I almost considered a rental house before knowing that a registered rapist lived about four blocks away and the neighborhood was crappy but a realtor steered me there.

Minor? Yes. Shocking to have so many occurances immediately? yes....

Don't assume because there are palm trees and tourist attractions that there's no crime here. Check out the gang info. They may be lame but they still want to be criminals. And there are whole cities here you don't want to drive through.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Are you kidding me?

Florida Crime Rates 1960 - 2006

Watch the trends and watch the size of the population. Crime is up from record lows in 2006.
I don't get it

You said crime is up... What did I say? And are you feeling that good old Ft Lauderdale is the quaint old FLL of yesteryear? You know how I feel about that.

Don't get me started on my Mainlands rant, now LOLOL

Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 20,096,752 times
Quote:
I don't get it

You said crime is up... What did I say?
You said in the 90s and the 80s Florida was a serene. Crime is up about 1.7% from 2006 record low. Crime was literally twice as high in virtually every category throughout the 1980s, 90s got a little better but still worse than now. That's the "big change" everyone is talking about, crime finally went slightly up when it got lower per-capita than it ever has .

Quote:
I don't get it

You said crime is up... What did I say? And are you feeling that good old Ft Lauderdale is the quaint old FLL of yesteryear? You know how I feel about that.

Don't get me started on my Mainlands rant, now LOLOL
You might of been quaint (sorry I couldn't resist lol), but FLL wasn't quaint. Drive through crack markets, youth gangs infiltrating (that are no longer there), unemployment past 10%. Not really that great. 45 murders in Ft. Lauderdale in 1980, seven thousand burglaries. I didn't live down here back then but I have family roots that have been established down here since 1950. I can't even believe the stories from the 80s that I hear. They used to rob peoples gold chains off of their necks when they drove down Sunrise Blvd on the way to work in the late 80s. Why do you think they chose BSO for the first episode of COPS in 89?

http://www.disastercenter.com/florida/crime/1788.htm

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-11-2008 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,557,122 times
I would be more afraid in Canada of some dude getting on a bus and stabbing me to death then cutting off my head... Did you see that lovely story in thew news last week???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida