U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM

2,313 posts
Default Buying used mobile home and moving it?

I am zeroing in on a piece of property we are very interested in and have made an offer, but in all honesty will pay full asking price if I have to. It has electric, septic tank, water and telephone on the property now. We will build as soon as we can but are thinking of just moving on the property with a mobile home right away rather then renting in the area for what could be up to year. My question is, what problems can I anticipate with the mobile home? How hard are they to move and the costs? What can I expect to pay for a single wide in decent condition? Any information that can be of help will be appreciated. This will be in Liberty county by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM

13,496 posts, read 23,308,739 times
Macguy, it's probably too far away from the panhandle for you to consider this, BUT just to get estimates, you can go to Ocala4Sale. They have mobile homes listed and several of them have to be moved. They have ads from businesses that move them, too. You may have to call to get a price and info, but the phone numbers and all that info should be on that site.

Unread 01-28-2007, 01:15 PM

2,313 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Macguy, it's probably too far away from the panhandle for you to consider this, BUT just to get estimates, you can go to Ocala4Sale. They have mobile homes listed and several of them have to be moved. They have ads from businesses that move them, too. You may have to call to get a price and info, but the phone numbers and all that info should be on that site.
Thanks for that web site. It got me thinking maybe instead of a full fledged mobile home. Something more like a large travel trailer that I could transport myself of even a class A motor home. I bet you can get them cheap now with the gas thing. They would also be easier to get rid of when you were done with them if you buy something nice like an Air stream. Lot of things to consider. This is five acres with a couple of very nice out buildings and kind of rural. I doubt I would get any hassle from anybody.

Unread 01-28-2007, 01:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,668 posts, read 10,142,105 times
Good luck with that, Macguy. It sounds like a good plan to me.

11 years ago, my hubby was living in a nice single wide when I met him. We sold that to a young couple with kids when we bought our house that summer. They moved it, and we never heard of any problems. I still see it every so often when I go back to that area, and it still looks like it's in good shape.

Back then, the house was about 5 years ago, and we sold it to them for $18,000, including all appliances (washer and dryer, too). The price you could expect to pay would depend on how old the house is (they typically depreciate with age, much like a car), how big it is, what condition it's in, and what's included. I think it would make a nice transition for you while you built your place. Like anything else, do your homework.

Once again, I wish you luck.

Unread 01-28-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Thanks for that web site. It got me thinking maybe instead of a full fledged mobile home. Something more like a large travel trailer that I could transport myself of even a class A motor home. I bet you can get them cheap now with the gas thing. They would also be easier to get rid of when you were done with them if you buy something nice like an Air stream. Lot of things to consider. This is five acres with a couple of very nice out buildings and kind of rural. I doubt I would get any hassle from anybody.
Another possibility. They make real nice travel trailers nowadays.

Unread 01-28-2007, 01:38 PM

598 posts, read 1,404,040 times
It's a great idea! You might want to check with your city zoning dept before jumping into anything though. Some areas do not allow mobiles or travel trailors any longer and if they do, there can be regulations on age and size / construction of what you can put in there so you have to be more choosey when searching...

good luck!

Unread 01-28-2007, 01:43 PM

2,313 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Another possibility. They make real nice travel trailers nowadays.
Something like this could be very nice
http://www.airstream-rvs.com/airstream.gif (broken link)

Last edited by macguy; 01-28-2007 at 02:29 PM..

Unread 01-28-2007, 01:47 PM

Yeh, baby! From what I understand, Airstream's the gold standard. Get ready to store a lot of stuff, though! You'd be surprised, however, at the unique places they have for storage in those things. Hubby and I considered buying a fifth-wheel and trekking cross-country the rest of our lives but gave that up. It sure was fun looking, though.

Unread 01-28-2007, 01:53 PM

2,313 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
It's a great idea! You might want to check with your city zoning dept before jumping into anything though. Some areas do not allow mobiles or travel trailors any longer and if they do, there can be regulations on age and size / construction of what you can put in there so you have to be more choosey when searching...

good luck!
I know what you mean. One of the things I am sure I will not miss is having people screwing with me all the time. I once got written up because I didn't have the numbers on my house correctly. Another time my motor home could not be parked on my property. Another time I had some bricks stacked on the property and they wrote me up for having building materials stored. Out where I am moving just from looking around and talking to a few people it seems people mind their own business. I don't know, maybe it's me, but I just have trouble tolerating fools anymore as I get older and just want to be left alone.

Last edited by macguy; 01-28-2007 at 02:30 PM..

Unread 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM

13,496 posts, read 23,308,739 times
Oh yea, I could easily live in one of those. We had some friends from New Jersey visit this summer and they came here with their camper. It was so cute and homey. You could probably get a very good deal on one if you ever visit EBay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida