U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:53 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,397,552 times

Advertisements

Where exactly is Lake mary?? How is the weather in Oviedo in the winter is it similar to SWF?[/quote]

Lake Mary and Oviedo are bedroom communities of Orlando although they are in a different county. They are both great areas. There are 5 areas I would live in Central Florida right now....Lake Mary, Oviedo, Windermere, SOME parts of Longwood and East Orlando (Avalon Park, Waterford Lakes, Lake Nona - where I live). These areas are nice, have newer communities (although Windermere has an older 'downtown'), and good schools.

Our weather is not as warm in the winter as SWF. BUT, it only stays cool for a couple of days and then it's warm again. The average low for January our coldest month is a low of 50 and a high of 72. So you see, it is quite pleasant in the winter here. June, July, August and September are our hottest months. The lows average 71-73 and the highs average 90-92. They are the months we spend in the pool, at the beach or in our air conditioned homes or schools. The other 8 months of the year are quite pleasant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 AM

232 posts, read 793,571 times
pianogal looking at oviedo it appears pretty close to the shore is it considered more central? How are the taxes? better? How far from Orlando? Is the drive into Orlando congested? Considering I would more than likely be working there..such great information..thanks all!!
Is Boca Raton expensive as far as taxes go??

Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 PM

129 posts, read 425,163 times
Hi shedav,
I have lived in Boca Raton for 20 years. I am 42 now(over the hill). I also work with the Palm Bch. County Sheriff ou on the road as a crash invest. I am a civilian. I am no sure if you are looking in the city of Boca or the county of Boca. I can tell Boca is not a town it is a big city. High traffic both city and county. Also, the schools are not the best. It isnt the teachers but how the schoolboard operates. I dont know why we were in the top 10. That is funny! As for the crime we have it! As for the city they have it! From break in of homes cars. To rapes and murders. The homes in both are expensive and hig taxes. There is some good, were I live I have a great nieghdors. That is hard to find here. Of course I do not live in a fancy home and the home is very old. Also, when Wilma hit us. THAT WES BAD AND Scary alot of people were nice tome the first couple of days. I am not sure you want to more here. There is prolem better areas. If you have question about Boca pm me. Hope i helped.
Ice

Old 01-29-2007, 12:19 PM

232 posts, read 793,571 times
Humm...that IS funny too icelady considering it was rated one of the top 10 and crime and good schools were suppose to be a factor they used. thanks for the info!!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 32,542 times
Hi ,
I am a Lake Mary resident, Lake Mary is a suburb of Orlando about 20-25 min north of downtown and is one exit north of Longwood, Fl.(approx 5 min drive). I love the area and was actually suprised to see the Oviedo was on the list before Lake Mary.
Things to know about Lake Mary: -Lake Mary has the some of the best schools in Seminole county, offers a variety of of single family housing anywhere from $200's up to the million+++ range. Lake Mary also numerous golf courses, awesome new restuarants,shopping and convient to I-4 and 417which are two major highways in the Orlando area.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:09 PM

713 posts, read 2,369,669 times
Default I live in Boca and I love it!

But then this has been home for several years so I am use to it. It is expensive but there are some great realty buys as there's a glut of homes on the market.

Not knowing your family's financial situation, well, if you can afford it here or any on the list, go for it. If you want more home for less money, try central Florida. Again, do a realty search on 34608 and 34609 and you'll see near mansions for cheap. Ex: 3/2/3 c. garage on 1/3 acre for $225,00. Same house would go for about $500,000+ in Boca Raton.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,601 times
I agree with the above. All very expensive. I have family on Key Biscayne. Back in the day my mother and uncle went to the elementary school, and that is "the only" school you get there. After all it is a small barrier island. The people there that are newer, are horrid self centered wealthy types that have let money go to their heads. The children are spoiled rotten and has it a very large latin influence due to the surrounding Miami community. If you are for over development of th island, maximizing your house on a tiny lot, and not protection of the historical heritage, stay away. The Homes have gotten overly expensive and the local "gustepo government" is hard at work spending everyones money and increasing taxes. The police force has doubled in the last 5 years and have brand new everything! I do hope that 16% Tax releif bill goes through! The Governments won't know what to do with themselves after been over spending so much lately on things that aren't as important as the **** poor excuse for public school systems. The Miami-dade area public schools are horrendous, avoid them at all costs, most if not all of the Key-(b)rats go to private schools after elementary school. Try footing a college education 2x before they even get accepted to university life! That is private schooling down here. The central school districts tend to have higher ranks in fl, the stuart area etc. That would be my choice, as I prefer the east coast as opposed to the west coast of FL. However, Naples is a very nice place to live and bring up children as it has grown tremendously. If you are younger (late 20s to early 30s like me and my gf) then there are upcoming areas ex: Punta Gorda types of cities that are not yet developed to their full potential. The next future residential real estate boom should boost some cities.
Bottom lines, if you don't have extra doe to send your kids privately to school, stay away from Miami-dade county! Hope this helps!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,215,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
I found this information on neighborhoodwatch.com and found interesting. The criteria was based on the 6 things most parents are looking for..low crime, good schools, single family homes etc. The top ten towns were
1 Windemere
2.Boca Raton
3.Winter Springs
4.Key Biscayne
5.Longwood
6Orange Park
7. Fort Lauderdale (chiefly west of the Florida turnpike)
8.Jupiter
9.Oviedo
10.Naples

So, does anyone live in or near these areas? I would like to get more information from personal people instead of just statistics. The areas I considered were Oviedo, Boca Raton or Naples( I know Naples is quite expensive) and for others thinking about moving down with families I hope this helps. Sherry
It's interesting that Orange Park made the list.

Orange Park is in Clay County, just to the west of where I live (I am in Duval county/Jacksonville).

I would agree that it is family friendly because it is a bedroom community, and most bedroom communities are primarily residential.

If someone was looking for a suburban locale near a large city, it would be worth a look - it is not expensive.

I personally would not live there myself because I would be driving into Jacksonville for everything - work, shopping, entertainment, the beach, downtown, etc. I'd rather be in the center of it all than outside of it all.

There are tons of family friendly areas inside of Jax, so I have not found a compelling reason to move out of Jax yet .

Old 06-19-2007, 05:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,138,593 times
For those who want to know were a specific town is located, go to google, above the seach bar is a link MAP , cliick on it and it will come up showing your town and the surrounding areas as well as you can expand it to as big or small as you want. You can even get down to a street.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,356,140 times
i have seen orange park being named a nice place to live numerous times now. oviedo and winter springs are both nice. actually, really nice.

windermere, boca, ft lauderdale, jupiter, and naples are too expensive imo. all of these areas are nice, although i'm not too familiar with ft lauderdale, but i am sure it's got nice areas.

i wasnt too impressed with longwood, but i dont know much about it. i know nothing about key biscayne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or