U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:14 PM

18 posts, read 49,469 times

Advertisements

My family is researching info about moving to a warmer climate. We are very open as to the location but need to know what area is best for a self-employed home inspector and a school guidance counselor. We have a four year old daughter so schools are very important too. We love the Bradenton area (Lakewood Ranch seems nice) and have researched the Raleigh area too. NC seems like it might be better for my husband in terms of building a home inspection business but the retirement system for NC schools seems to be much lower than FL. Also, Raleigh is a little too far from the beaches for me! My husband is concerned w/FL's weather during the summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 03:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,819,704 times
I vote Raleigh Triangle for sure hands down!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:43 PM

523 posts, read 2,631,981 times
Where are you coming from? North Carolina gets cold. I love Florida.
I am to cold today. 53 degrees, We get cold weather Jan and Feb sometimes, and summers get hot, But I moved her 40 yrs ago to escape the Lake Erie Snow.
Bradenton is nice, but new homes are very expensive in Lakewood ranch, and they have cdd fees i believe. I avoid them. You and your husband should have no problem with jobs here. Lots of new subdivision close to Bradenton
like Port Charlotte, North Port more reasonable. Good luck

Old 01-28-2007, 07:06 PM

18 posts, read 49,469 times
We are coming from IL (west of Chicago) where it is currently 11 degrees and is supposed to snow for the next 3 days! Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,350,161 times
I don't know much about North Carolina but Upstate South Carolina is beautiful. We recently purchased a house in that area. I'm a native to Florida, lived here all my life and never thought I'd want to leave, but the last two years have changed my mind! Wer'e kind of looking forward to moving, but for now we just go there and hideout as much as we can! When we finally get there we just catch our breath and look at each other with that " Holy Crap" look! The growth and crime rates here in South Florida are too much for me to deal with anymore. The freindly Southern Florida I used to know is gone. People are rude, even the ones who don't speak english. I'm not sure what happened, but all the people I grew up with are moving or are already gone. It's strange why there are so many disgruntled people here now, when I go to the store even the people working there tell me to "have a nice day" with an attitude. I get the distinct impression they don't really mean it.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,995,323 times
Id stay away from south Florida as Firemed said. Thats where I live and I cant wait to get out. NC is OK but not my choice of state. If you insist on Florida, north FL is still allright and theres plenty of cheap land for you to build a house

Old 01-28-2007, 10:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,816,954 times
Ask anyone over 35 who grew up in Florida and they will tell you, don't move here!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:46 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,350,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Ask anyone over 35 who grew up in Florida and they will tell you, don't move here!
So true, But what do we Know. Come on down to paradise but don't foget your check book. Just think of it as purgatory but a little hotter.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:44 AM

15,214 posts, read 31,190,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's funny how those of us who grew up here and have experienced everything are just deemed "negative" or "trash-talking" when we are just giving our honest answers. For years I really loved my Florida having been born here, and for now I still have a funky little home in a safe little rural town, but even that is being paved over at an alarming rate. We have one foot out the door with the home we purchased in NC, and will just have to wait and see what the future holds for Florida regarding taxes, insurance, hurricanes and crime.

To all those who don't want to hear the truth, good luck.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 AM

168 posts, read 700,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's funny how those of us who grew up here and have experienced everything are just deemed "negative" or "trash-talking" when we are just giving our honest answers. For years I really loved my Florida having been born here, and for now I still have a funky little home in a safe little rural town, but even that is being paved over at an alarming rate. We have one foot out the door with the home we purchased in NC, and will just have to wait and see what the future holds for Florida regarding taxes, insurance, hurricanes and crime.

To all those who don't want to hear the truth, good luck.
i'm 58. my folks brought me to florida in 1951. lived in miami until 1984.

lived in NORTH CAROLINA from 1984 - 1986.

couldn't stand it anymore, so returned to florida and lived in gainesville from 1986 - 2003.

i think if anyone is sensitive to being accused of "trash" talking florida then it might be because their posts point out what they think is wrong with florida and how much they dislike their present situation - more times than not.

those of us who have had better experiences during our tenure in florida (and mine might even be one the longest of many who post here) seem to be outnumbered by those who jump on every new thread to spread their "truth" about florida in hopes of discouraging newcomers.

as with most things, those who are happy with something don't generally complain and since they are not discontented you will find less of them on a board such as this. however, those with axes to grind, or who are just plain unhappy, will make their voices heard whether it is with a shoddy product or with their living situation.

i found this site because i am actually unhappy with MY current living situation out of state and hope to return home to florida. but even i don't get on my current state's forum day after day, seek out the most current thread, and rail about what a godforsaken place it is. i don't like it and i've posted as much. but i haven't made it my life's work to discourage others from moving here (there).

however, it seems that in the florida forum that is exactly what i have found with a certain group of discontented floridians - whether short termers or native-born - and i've hung around basically to hopefully present a different side to the story they often tell.

i won't deny their experience, but then again, neither should they deny mine. mine was far better, apparently, than theirs. and my "truth" is an valid as theirs.

i'm basically a working class person with no privileges to enjoy anything more than what florida can offer the average person. i suggest anyone new to this forum scroll through all the threads to get a balanced opinion of many contributors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or