U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-20-2008, 11:21 AM

190 posts, read 487,344 times
Hey Big...thanks for the edit info!

{weee what fun to learn new things}

Last edited by Pink flamingo; 08-20-2008 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: add additional note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
SKB

898 posts, read 2,236,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Sorry about that SKB. I meant no offense. I've met a lot of very nice Canadians. Maybe you are one, if so, my comments weren't directed at you per se. My apologies.

I shouldn't have really said Canada since I have not seen most of Canada. But I didn't want to identify the specific region and city of Canada where I live (even though I previously did already on this forum). I am beginning to realize that my posts will be enshrined in this forum...well...for as long as the forum exists. And I would not want to endanger my status with Canadian immigration or otherwise by being too specific. One never knows where what one says on the Internet will end up.

I can see it now..."Applying for a renewed Landed Immigrancy card are we? Are you the Carlos who said he 'couldn't stand Canada' in this here forum?.........". Gulp!

Having said the above I think there is a lot of rather serious things to not like about Canada. I wish there was a Canadian forum where I could go into more specifics but since this is a forum about Florida I will just have to leave it at that.

Carlos
LOL, that is so funny because my husband actually works as a Customs Officer but for Homeland Security.
So it is true, you really never know who is reading this stuff.

BTW, there is a Canadian forum on this site: http://www.city-data.com/forum/canada/

Unread 08-20-2008, 05:53 PM
SKB

898 posts, read 2,236,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I love Canada - especially Niagra on the Lake. AND I LOVE YOU TOO.
Canadians are cool! Floridians are HOT! I love them too!
Thank you

I love the USA!!! and we now live in Florida!!!!

Unread 08-20-2008, 09:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,197,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
LOL, that is so funny because my husband actually works as a Customs Officer but for Homeland Security.
So it is true, you really never know who is reading this stuff.
Gulp! (running my finger around my collar to let some air in as sweat beads on my forehead and falls off unto my nose).

Yeah...that view count to the posts I have made keeps going up and up. It's now into the thousands. Gulp again! LOL.

It probably would have been more prudent for me to not have said what I said in quite the way I said it but still...I really don't want to come back to Canada...and I am not the kind of guy to hold back when I feel strongly about something...so I said what I said...and now, for better or for worse, it's recorded for all time in my post.

The last time I came through Canada customs I was pulled aside and grilled on why I had not become a Canadian citizen. I stood my ground and after making it through I complained about the customs officer who inappropriately did that, to his supervisor.

You never know what they are going to ask or get into. That's for sure.

In fairness to Canada Immigration though...they are generally much more professional and less threatening than US Immigration. Not sure why that is.

It would be nice to be able to come back to Canada without problems. Just today I was talking to someone at a laundromat who told me that a friend of his was making $37 per hour after going through a two year apprenticeship program in how to stucco.

There is a lot of money floating around up here. That is about the biggest advantage up here. Money and making it. To me, money isn't the end all and be all so I'd rather head south. But if I absolutely can't make it down there in window cleaning for some reason, which would really surprise me, it would be nice to have something to come back to, just in case.

Quote:
BTW, there is a Canadian forum on this site: http://www.city-data.com/forum/canada/
Yeah I saw that but I think I will just stay away since what I have to say might generate a lot of controversy and and take too much of my time posting and replying.

Still...it might be interesting to discuss things about Canada with others if I can find the time to start some threads there .

Unread 08-20-2008, 10:07 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,180,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Gulp! (running my finger around my collar to let some air in as sweat beads on my forehead and falls off unto my nose).

Yeah...that view count to the posts I have made keeps going up and up. It's now into the thousands. Gulp again! LOL.

It probably would have been more prudent for me to not have said what I said in quite the way I said it but still...I really don't want to come back to Canada...and I am not the kind of guy to hold back when I feel strongly about something...so I said what I said...and now, for better or for worse, it's recorded for all time in my post.

The last time I came through Canada customs I was pulled aside and grilled on why I had not become a Canadian citizen. I stood my ground and after making it through I complained about the customs officer who inappropriately did that, to his supervisor.

You never know what they are going to ask or get into. That's for sure.

In fairness to Canada Immigration though...they are generally much more professional and less threatening than US Immigration. Not sure why that is.

It would be nice to be able to come back to Canada without problems. Just today I was talking to someone at a laundromat who told me that a friend of his was making $37 per hour after going through a two year apprenticeship program in how to stucco.

There is a lot of money floating around up here. That is about the biggest advantage up here. Money and making it. To me, money isn't the end all and be all so I'd rather head south. But if I absolutely can't make it down there in window cleaning for some reason, which would really surprise me, it would be nice to have something to come back to, just in case.

Yeah I saw that but I think I will just stay away since what I have to say might generate a lot of controversy and and take too much of my time posting and replying.

Still...it might be interesting to discuss things about Canada with others if I can find the time to start some threads there .
Keep the quote simple . I started a catering business in 2000 " Southwest Bar-B Que" although I did any type of Bar-B-Que Meats . My quote was Very simple . "WE BRING THE KITCHEN TO YOU" Had 3 units working untill 2006 , then Retired . So in your case maybe something like . "IF YOU DON'T DO WINDOWS , I DO !" just a thought.

Unread 08-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Hey Carlos,
I know you have all the extention pole techniques down pat, but in Florida most of the houses are only one story, so you should be able to do jobs more easily (but so should others), and quicker for the same reason. Your advantage of reach, may not be quite so helpful for you in Florida. - Just a thought.
It seems like you have a lot of things thought through.
Gosh...I just thought of something else...no basements! Hmmm...I make a fair bit from cleaning basement windows up here. No one wants to get down in deep wells and scrape them clean. I'll loose that in Florida...hmmm. Hadn't thought about that one.

Still...not having 3 story walk-out houses like a number of my richer customers have will be nice.

Thanks for the tip Big House!

Unread 08-21-2008, 07:22 AM

8,211 posts, read 12,747,745 times
There are some cheap advertisement options here you might want to consider. It brings in business. My husband has a landscaping business. He only advertises in a paper called the Treasure Chest which gets delivered to homes throughout the area. He gets all his business from there and referrals. It costs about $150 for 3 months. I know you can do it for less too depending what you want in your add. You can also do it weekly to see how it does.

Unread 08-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks very much beckycat! Excellent tip.

Reasonable rates for 3 months too.

I don't know if I will use that approach in the normal course of my business or not but it may benefit me to do so initially.

Thing is that I pick and choose the houses and neighborhoods that I solicit in. Blanket coverage of an area type of advertisement would tend to bring in houses that I don't particularly want to do. I usually go for the juicy houses with relatively easy windows to do (i.e. modern windows with nice, clean cut, trim on them instead of peeling paint). Juicy in the sense of being houses that I can make $150 on up on for a few hours of work.

There is a certain type of neighborhood that is ideal. Such neighborhoods rarely have that many houses in them and to find them I must roam around quite a bit when I am in a new area. Such neighborhoods are usually sorrounded by other neighborhoods that are not so ideal and which I would rather not do. This makes the nice neighborhoods hard to target with advetisements.

It remains to be seen whether I will be able to do as I have done in Canada and pick and choose what I want to do, in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida