Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,022,208 times

Advertisements

Here is the link. From what I understand the Amendment would have allowed the property tax to be cut, and it is not clear what it would be replaced with. The property tax portion that this amendment dealt with primarily was the funding that would go to schools.

What are your thoughts Floridians.

Judge Cooper orders tax-swap proposal off ballot | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat

My leading thought is that although tax relief may be needed, cutting the funding for schools without a clearly defined replacement would be more problematic. Schools need to be properly funded. We need a well educated next generation, the future of the country depends on that!

It does seem that the interests or security of the large elderly population, may be at odds with the expense of educating the next generation.

What are other people's thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,226,184 times
It's a tough call on either side. I understand both. I personally think that it is a real can of worms no matter what is decided.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,002,136 times
it would have been a disaster.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,797,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Here is the link. From what I understand the Amendment would have allowed the property tax to be cut, and it is not clear what it would be replaced with. The property tax portion that this amendment dealt with primarily was the funding that would go to schools.

Judge Cooper orders tax-swap proposal off ballot | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat

My leading thought is that although tax relief may be needed, cutting the funding for schools without a clearly defined replacement would be more problematic. Schools need to be properly funded. We need a well educated next generation, the future of the country depends on that!

It does seem that the interests or security of the large elderly population, may be at odds with the expense of educating the next generation.

OK I only scanned the article briefly since it's a moot point now....and I don't own property here and have no school aged kids in my life...but ...I don't see it as having anything to do with retirees. The first link that I found from a census estimate for 2005 says that although Florida has the highest senior population it's only 16.8%.

I don't see where this article says anything that would allude to seniors. I see it as a typical lazy poorly worded, poorly thought out and yes, bait and switch amendment that "who know who" tried to slide onto the citizenry. YES seniors vote more and of course would vote for it. But so would everyone else who has a gripe about property taxes taken at face value.

I'm totally sure that your average voter who doesn't bother to think about these types of amendments' potential negative repercussions would absolutely vote for lower property taxes no matter what. Wasn't that the point of the article that it hid the fact that schools would suffer? I don't see where it was said that people )voters especially) intentionally WANTED to punish schools/children.

I see it as an attempt to control people's activities like not moving out of state due to property tax issues, incenting new out of state people to buy property here, compensate the people in mortgage financial crisis here even if they brought it on themselves, throw a bone to deflect bad press against the state for allowing freaking FELONS to be mortgage brokers here, and in general just another typical politician trick to shut the masses up AND to get re-elected by being great property tax decreasers. But it didn't fly.

That's my take but I may be wrong due to lack of research and paying attention

Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,905,883 times
From the article I guess I understood that he amendment was not dead only how it was written for the ballot.
I know that I fear cutting service to the people of Florida, and education is a critical service. If we cut the education budget where will it be done? limiting bus service? lower teacher salaries? larger teacher student ratios? or is there bloat in the system?
Government will always cut the services first rather than the fluff.
If the shift from property taxes paying for education to sales taxes can be accomplished without reducing the quality of education then I guess I'd be supportive. At least runswithscissors will have to pay t

Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
From the article I guess I understood that he amendment was not dead only how it was written for the ballot.

If the shift from property taxes paying for education to sales taxes can be accomplished without reducing the quality of education then I guess I'd be supportive. At least runswithscissors will have to pay t
LOL you get some rep for that one

HEY, I agree with you. I don't hate the idea of a different tax structure that also includes some income tax too...ala Alabama.

I also agree that my interpretation was only that it was struck for technical reasons of how it was worded and constructed on the ballot, yep.

Another option is that everybody needs to buy WAY more lottery tickets YAY....

Old 08-14-2008, 11:14 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,673,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post

I agree. We need to educate our children. To neglect this is selfish.

I agree 100%! It is our responsibilty to educate our children. To neglect this is selfish and will hurt us in the end.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,673,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OK I only scanned the article briefly since it's a moot point now....and I don't own property here and have no school aged kids in my life...but ...I don't see it as having anything to do with retirees. The first link that I found from a census estimate for 2005 says that although Florida has the highest senior population it's only 16.8%.

I don't see where this article says anything that would allude to seniors. I see it as a typical lazy poorly worded, poorly thought out and yes, bait and switch amendment that "who know who" tried to slide onto the citizenry. YES seniors vote more and of course would vote for it. But so would everyone else who has a gripe about property taxes taken at face value.

I'm totally sure that your average voter who doesn't bother to think about these types of amendments' potential negative repercussions would absolutely vote for lower property taxes no matter what. Wasn't that the point of the article that it hid the fact that schools would suffer? I don't see where it was said that people )voters especially) intentionally WANTED to punish schools/children.

I see it as an attempt to control people's activities like not moving out of state due to property tax issues, incenting new out of state people to buy property here, compensate the people in mortgage financial crisis here even if they brought it on themselves, throw a bone to deflect bad press against the state for allowing freaking FELONS to be mortgage brokers here, and in general just another typical politician trick to shut the masses up AND to get re-elected by being great property tax decreasers. But it didn't fly.

That's my take but I may be wrong due to lack of research and paying attention
Here is a good website with current age statistics for each county in Florida. My impression from this site is that the % of people over 60 years of age is much higher than the 16.8%

2008 Florida County Profiles (http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/english/Stats/County_2008/2008cp.html - broken link)

Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Here is a good website with current age statistics for each county in Florida. My impression from this site is that the % of people over 60 years of age is much higher than the 16.8%

2008 Florida County Profiles (http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/english/Stats/County_2008/2008cp.html - broken link)

No, if you click on the blue state of Florida map it is 17.4 percent for 2008.

You have to look at 65 Plus.
That's how the census defined it in the link I was looking at. Social Security doesn't kick in until you are 65.

Releases: Aging Population

I think it's interesting that the 70 plus goes way down to 13 percent in your link.

Note in MY link, Florida leads in growth of SCHOOL AGE population. Which makes sense since Hispanics are leading in growth of having kids too.( the date is a couple years old)
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/001342.html (broken link)

Here's 2006, same thing, 16.8 percent natl average is 12.4 percent

Florida MapStats from FedStats

Also note where births far exceed deaths.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:31 AM

By the way, senior bashing has been thoroughly debated on this thread about "America Stop Sending Us Your Old People" complete with stats so it can probably continue on that thread so the comments about the ammendment can continue.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...our-old-2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida