U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,589,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The only thing that surprises me is that local enforcement agencies have not attempted to "relocate" these 8000 homeless (out of sight, out of mind).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,357,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
The only thing that surprises me is that local enforcement agencies have not attempted to "relocate" these 8000 homeless (out of sight, out of mind).
Exactly, and that 8000 number is only for the Orlando area, I can imagine how many people are now homeless all over Florida.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,201,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Exactly, and that 8000 number is only for the Orlando area, I can imagine how many people are now homeless all over Florida.

There are probably more then that I see tons on the east side from semoran blvd and colonial all the way into bithlo. Even some camps off woodberry drive in the waterford area.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,357,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
There are probably more then that I see tons on the east side from semoran blvd and colonial all the way into bithlo. Even some camps off woodberry drive in the waterford area.
At least in Orlando it looks like every empty wooded lot has homeless people camping out in it. I heard that they are even camping out on the woods around the University of Central Florida.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,098,890 times
Is Orlando really getting that bad? The homeless problem here isn't any worse than it's been, acutally it's a little better. There aren't any camps or shantytowns or anything like that! You do however have your occasional homeless sex offender living under a bridge. There used to be a whole bunch of them downtown, I was expecting the problem to resurge with the economy but it really hasn't. I mean it's Florida, their around (mostly with drug problems) but nothing that severe.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:32 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,834,739 times
What makes an area more conducive to better jobs and long lasting positions is the diversification of the industries in the area. If we limited the area to hospitality and attractions (parks, etc) the external jobs generated are low paying and transitional. Look at the salaries of individuals working at hotels, fast food, car rentals, gas stations, etc. The salaries are not the greatest and the turn over of employees is very high.

If you have a location that can diversify with manufacturing, import/export, local agricultural farms the chances for success can be larger. Yes keep some of the entertainment and hospitality. The above industries will also generate other smaller business that will add jobs in the area. The success will based on maintaining a balance and local government keeping an eye on how they control the growth.

Just imagine if Disney had chosen Gainsville for the parks, Keep Sea World in Orlando, Universal in Weston. The growth of hotel, restaurants, fast food, car rentals, etc will have to be shifted to the other locations.

The local government needs to control the how they move forward and look at what the future will provide. You either depend on one industry or multiple, the 2nd is a better choice.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,201,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Is Orlando really getting that bad? The homeless problem here isn't any worse than it's been, acutally it's a little better. There aren't any camps or shantytowns or anything like that! You do however have your occasional homeless sex offender living under a bridge. There used to be a whole bunch of them downtown, I was expecting the problem to resurge with the economy but it really hasn't. I mean it's Florida, their around (mostly with drug problems) but nothing that severe.

Yes there are homeless camps all over Orlando and orange county just in my area alone are several small communities of homeless.

Every wooded area around here has homeless camps. The outskirts of Orlando has more because the Police in the city are tough on them, not allowing them to sleep on benches or under over passes, the county seems to be a bit more lenient.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,631,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Yep its getting worse all the time. Their even starting to come down near the Hunter's Creek area

Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 PM

1,381 posts, read 5,093,037 times
In Punta Gorda were lucky to have Sister Judy and her mission. She and her volunteers provide shelter and food to the homeless. Judy doesn't put up with any back sliding, no drugs, alcohol, or crime. She helps people, gives them something to do, access to health care. The mission networks with other support groups to share resources. Donations are always welcome, food, clothes, chairs, appliances, building materials.
Maybe you have someone in your area working to help the homeless. I'm sure they could use a helping hand.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,225,819 times
Here's a really interesting study on homelessness and foreclosures.

People even gave presentations to congress in the spring asking them to not focus on housing as wealth building and just bailing out the bad loans for financial institutions to go back to status quo. But to please consider the homeless, near homeless and renters too who are victims of foreclosures of their landlords.

I don't think that plea worked.

Even though I'm against the "bailout" as it was.....I was wondering why the bailout didnt address any homeless and/or short term housing assistance and only focused on people's mortgages....that's when this popped up....

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/housing/foreclosure_report.pdf (broken link)

I think I'm concluding that yes, the bailout didn't REALLY want to HELP people....it only wanted to prop up the institutions. I understand that in part, but with how much??.....300 BILLION....would it really be so hard to transition the non mentally ill to a place with a ROOF? And aren't there football fields of trailors that they wrote about in Lousiana that were standing empty years after Katrina that FEMA "forgot" they had set aside for Katrina homeless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or