Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Add very low wages, road rage, and Moderator cut: unnecessary to the list, and your mom is exactly right.
Yeah remember Ohio when Florida is 95 degrees with 80% humidity too. Moderator cut: unnecessary

Last edited by cmj_fla; 08-18-2008 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 12,497 times
It was so funny to read this my husband and I are in your situation. We're in atlanta looking at orlando. Looked at Tampa and it wasn't what we're looking for. We are ready for a change and want to stay south plus we're looking to get closer to family in cape coral. Good luck and hope all works out!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMluvsWDW View Post
It was so funny to read this my husband and I are in your situation. We're in atlanta looking at orlando. Looked at Tampa and it wasn't what we're looking for. We are ready for a change and want to stay south plus we're looking to get closer to family in cape coral. Good luck and hope all works out!
What are you looking for?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Well, many people will say "Southern California sucks, don't move there!", while there are thousands upon thousands (actually millions) of people there that love living there no matter what the cost of living, traffic, crime rate......whatever is. Living there was ok, but we wanted a "new" area and moved to Colorado/Denver metro. And, all we heard about before moving to Colorado was, "why would you want to live in snow, ice/cold weather?" Live in CO for 5 1/2 years and it was ok, but at our age (60) didn't want any more winters. Moved to NC/Charlotte area, and before moving here, heard the "Colorado people" wonder why we wanted to move to NC. Now we are thinking about moving to Orlando (where there is NO winter at all) people here in Charlotte area say "No way" to us about that.
So. Calif. isn't perfect, neither is Denver, CO metro, neither is Charlotte NC and neither is Orlando FL. But, whereever we do move to, it will be our choice......good or bad.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:03 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Certain areas do have a high population of Hispanics. (nothing against anyone) I wouldn't limit yourself to those areas. Depending on what you like there are many more places around Orlando that don't. I would say take a trip down and look around. After that, make your decision. Just b/c one doesn't like the area doesn't mean the other won't.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:54 PM

216 posts, read 913,596 times
We moved to Orlando six days ago, from NH. I LOVE it here. Where we came from was a pretty small town with very little to do and it got extremely cold & snowy in the winter.

We are loving the fact that we will never again see snow and there are TONS of things to do here with little kids. That was what mattered most to us - weather and things to do with kids.

We have had nothing but positive experiences so far, with every place we have gone and every person we have interacted with. We are so happy we made the move!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
One thing that I noticed was that a lot of people that didn't like it, didn't like the heat, but moved there in the middle of the summer. If possible, just a suggestion, move in the fall or winter. That way you have time to adjust to the temperature change and it is not so overwhelming. I moved the day after Christmas, left 4 feet of snow in WV and hit 70 degrees in Orlando. It was so funny, me and my roommate were laying out in the sun and my friends cousin came over in sweats! We thought that was so funny. But after being there for a few years, I did the same. LOL Now if it is below 75, I am freezing.
I second that for sure. The company I worked for, back up North prior to my move to FL, kept sending me on these Sales Mtg's based out of the Convention Center. Almost immediately I fell in love with the palm trees, something about those palm trees that got me plus being from MI it was such a change. Going from 30 degree weather to 75 degree temps was insane to me but on the same token it was absolutely wonderful. Then having the Beach within close proximity was another huge benefit IMO.

The only thing that I was not prepared for was the low paying jobs. It took awhile to find a good paying job but once that happened, I've been on the good ole' gravy train with biscuit wheels.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
We moved to Orlando six days ago, from NH. I LOVE it here. Where we came from was a pretty small town with very little to do and it got extremely cold & snowy in the winter.

We are loving the fact that we will never again see snow and there are TONS of things to do here with little kids. That was what mattered most to us - weather and things to do with kids.

We have had nothing but positive experiences so far, with every place we have gone and every person we have interacted with. We are so happy we made the move!
Sorry you moved just in time for FAY. Thankfully, it should be little more than a day inside.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Add very low wages, road rage, Moderator cut: unnecessary to the list, and your mom is exactly right.
I third that.... But if all thats listed doesnt bother you..then welcome!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I love Fl and whiole there are those that seem to complain they often have nothing to compare it to or strangely never leave. Any place is what you make of it. You can have a great experience here or otherwise. Most will depends on what you bring to it and your attitude. With the new health center you should find plenty of opportunity. with the resorts I suspect there is a demand for trainers too.
I have lived in GA, KS, MO, IA, AK, TX, NE and been to most of the others. FL is my number one choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida