U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:54 AM

850 posts, read 2,819,209 times

Advertisements

"What I'm trying to say is that you get used to an area. You learn to live with the environment instead of fighting it. Once you break that threshold, your home." j - I think you just summed up life for everyone.

I read all around the threads form state to state, and I get so tired of people 'warning' others about this and that - when it really comes down to personal preference.
Some like it hot, some like it cold. Some like the snow - some want the surf, some don't mind bugs and humidity, and others love the thought of a dry heat and 115 degrees.

If I had only one wish to make for all of those visiting the forum - keep in mind that others are looking for sincere opinions, good and bad - but your bad experiences may be rare. Your taste may not be theirs.

My parents have lived in Sebring since April 2004. They made it through that rough hurricane season, they have lived 'inland' on the sweltering hot days - and they wouldn't trade it for the world. My grandparents lived in Venice when I was a baby (they moved back because of me), I have family in Orlando and Sarasota. Somewhere on the Gulf was a motel ran by my grandfather's family, just a hole in the wall, but quaint, and the old Florida way of life. It's in my blood.

I am in Kentucky. Born and raised here and I love the people, places, everyday life. It is home. But the cold and up and down weather, as I have gotten older, is just something 'I' cannot tolerate.
My son loves it!

As we awoke to snow this morning, I am grumbling and trying to pretend I am looking at sand, while he is having a ball running for the car to do doughnuts in the church parking lot (yes, around here you can still do that).

I think all of us need to realize 'home' is different for everybody, likes and dislikes are different, too. By all means - if taxes are high, a certain bug is out during a certain time of day - whatever - tell them - but choice is something we all have to make on our own, and telling someone how rotten a place is and how fast you want to leave it - doesn't sound very encouraging and makes them wonder if everybody in the state is like that. Sometimes it may even cause them to miss out on something really great.

Don't exaggerate, don't sugarcoat, just be honest with what information you know for fact.

We all have to find our own paradise. Florida - is mine, Kentucky is where I am. That - is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 38,748 times
Default I for one am happy

I would like to start out by saying that many of the complainers on this forum make me laugh. If I had found this site before I moved to Florida, I probably wouldn't be here now. To get back on topic, I would say that I am a very happy transplant. I am originally from Michigan, moved to Alabama, then Tennessee, and next Florida. The first time we moved to Florida we had to cut our stay short (only one year) because of a sickness in the family. No one else in my family would leave Michigan to help out my uncle, so seeming that we were not yet established in Florida, we moved to North Carolina for 10 months. I could not wait to get back to Florida.
We have been back for a couple of years now and would not leave again for anything. My wife and I are also in our thirties and have two girls (ages 10 and 8). The kids love it here, and the school that they are in is better than any other before it. Yes it gets hot in the summer, but if you are active and like to go to the beach or if you have access to a boat it is a great time of year.
Living in northern Florida, the winters get a little cold so we head down to the WPB area every now and then to warm up. Having only visited the area I can't comment on everyday living, but from visiting quit a few times, I think that Jupiter is a very nice area. The restaurants and stores we have been in have been clean. I can only advise you to take a look for yourself because Florida is nothing like the Midwest. Good luck in your decision.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,585,232 times
THanks, KimmieyKY. That was refreshing.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 PM

612 posts, read 2,479,500 times
Here's another perspective.

I grew up in Northern NY and moved ASAP after college. I lived in Tallahassee for four years, Miami for four and just left Tampa for Atlanta after four years. We've been here three months. We bought our house last July so everything was green and flowers blooming then. Since we moved in November, I can probably count the days I have seen the sun. Also, in Florida it will usually rain for a few hours. Here, it rains for a few days. My dogs are miserable, my cats are miserable, my daughter is miserable, I am miserable. I am used to green grass year round and planting flowers and being in my pool (we had a heater). Here, pools are closed down for the winter.

Hopefully, I just have SAD. I was so excited that the weather was supposed to be in the 50s today so I pulled out the power sprayer to do some work...and froze. I came in and pulled up the weather and it was 42 and felt like 34. Another day we're stuck in the house. There is just so many malls you can go shopping at...

I miss Florida.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:59 PM

13,371 posts, read 39,757,450 times
Wow, Jgussler's post was so insightful, and Kimmie's was so mature!

It was nice, among the 4 or 5 negative (dare I say, off topic?) posts, to read stories from people who did relocate here and are indeed happy, just as the OP asked.

I agree with gypsychic that everyone has a different idea of what paradise is.
Actually, I don't really think I am in paradise; that word is a bit fulsome for me. I do see the bad with the good. But I am still pretty happy.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:36 PM

467 posts, read 1,510,324 times
I am an outdoors kind of person. I can't stand being in doors. I used to live in nj and it just killed me being trapped all those months..I couldnt stand being cold.
Since I moved to fl. in 1991, being outdoors is so natural I dont even think about being closed up. I don't have to hurry to get things done because I can go outside every single day and do whatever outside activity I want on any given day. (even in august) that was worth everything to me and It was the best thing i did. My kids grew up here and being outdoors is second nature. They can't even imagine not being able to just be out doors.
The move worked for my family and we love it.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM

17,157 posts, read 24,593,165 times
I lived in Jupiter for four years and God willing will be moving to Downtown West Palm Beach in a couple months. I can't wait to get back "home!"

Jupiter is an incredibly safe community, with tons of amenities, gorgeous warm water, white sand beaches at Juno Beach, and close enough to downtown West Palm and the airport to make escaping from Suburbia feasible.

What communities are you looking at in Jupiter? It is NOT cheap to live in Jupiter, but I imagine homes aren't that far off Chicago prices. As for education, here is a site that rates schools in different cities:

http://www.greatschools.net/city/Jupiter/FL

Looks like Jupiter gets good grades!

The Jupiter intracoastal waterway is sparkling blue and clear, and as PSLOldTimer said, a great place to Kayak from the Jupiter Outdoor Center. Also, jetskiing!!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:47 PM

833 posts, read 4,328,670 times
Of course choice is something we have to make on our own. But when there is a discussion forum, and someone is asking if a certain city might be a good choice for young families, everyone is expressing their opinion to that question. If the person just wanted facts about the city, they could go to Wikipedia or another section of city-data.com. I've asked questions about Chicago and Grand Rapids, MI and have really appreciated ALL of the feedback I have received regarding those cities...both good and bad feedback. I'll make my own decision and choice in the end, but forums were created for people to have open dialogue and discussions of opinions, not just facts. I think it's wonderful to have both positive and negative aspects about a community pointed out...even if it's 'just' opinion.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:59 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,725,513 times
My sister in-law lives @ Jupiter Farms and is considering relocating to northwest Florida because of the HOI. She has a small lot 2 - 3 acres , 2000 SQ ft home and is very nice area, but the turn-off is the insurance cost.

I visited many times and is a great place, schools are good (according to my sister in-law) and people in the area are very friendly....

Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM

22 posts, read 79,781 times
I graduated in 95 with a BSME, moved to work in FL in the Sarasota area. I just absolutely loved it there. Hot and humid in the summer? Yes....So is Atlanta, where I lived for a few years. I left Sarasota and came back to Atlanta to pursue graduate study. Now that I'm done with that, I'm going back to Florida in the Boca area to work as a professional and to PLAY. There's nothing like blue water, fishing, sunsets, beaches, surfing, and boating. If I can't be near the water, I may as well move to TN. I hope this helps. The key thing is be ready for anything once you're there and don't rush your decision if you're not sure. Florida is not Utopia but few places are. I enjoy it very much because it has alot to offer to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or