U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:29 PM

66 posts, read 341,052 times

Advertisements

I moved to Florida from Louisiana almost 4 years ago. (And the crime here is not nearly as bad as it was there.) We loved it when we first came. We considered south Florida at first, but were told by too many people that south Florida is no place to raise a family. We ended up in the Fl panhandle. Now, don't get me wrong...2 years ago this was what I thought was going to be my everlasting home. But recently, due to all of the hurricanes, things are changing. The property taxes have gone up tremendously and lets not even talk about the homeowners insurance. We have come to the conclusion that unless you are wealthy, you can't survive here. So many people are leaving. Governor Crist seems to be trying hard to change things to keep people here. But to be honest with you, I can't afford to wait around to see if it happens. I will miss this place, and I will come visit often, but my family's wellbeing is much more important. But, as far as raising a family, the Florida panhandle has a lot to offer. Okaloosa county (Crestview, Fort Walton Beach) is said to have the best school system in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 07:24 PM

458 posts, read 428,633 times
I moved to Jupiter from Pennsylvania. I have lived in the midwest, northeast, and the south. I have no idea what some of these posters are talking about.

It is no more humid in Jupiter in the summers than the mid-altantic. The air is clean, the place is clean, there are tons of things to do.

News flash...sweating is healthy, exercising is healthy....being outside a lot is healthy...being active is healthy...palm trees beat no leaves for 7 months out of the year.

Hurricanes? Well yeah, but before a few years ago Jupiter went 45 years without a hurricane. Does the midwest go 45 years with no tornadoes...no. Mudslides in California? Wildfires? Everywhere has its harsh weather. At least with a hurricane you have like 2 weeks warning for goodness sakes.

Jupiter and other parts of Florida are amazing. But since almost 70% of the adult population is sedentary and overweight, I suppose thats why there are so many negative posts here. Some of these people are just miserable people, plain and simple. They would find a way to be miserable anywhere they lived.

If you are a coach potato, lazy, and not into exploring nature and having fun...by all means don't move to Florida. If you love being active, engaged, social, and have a positive outlook on life, and don't act like a wusss every time you sweat a little, then come on down!

Old 02-02-2007, 07:32 PM

155 posts, read 211,941 times
Thumbs down No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannievb View Post
I am considering moving to Florida with my husband and two young kids. We currently live in downtown Chicago and it appears that the cost of living is similar to Jupiter/West Palm area so we feel confident we will be able to handle the cost of living there. Is there anyone familar with these areas? Does it seem like a good place for younger families? We are in our 30's and my kids are 3 and 4 years old. We love Chicago's urban lifestyle but are over the brutal winters. I'm just trying to find out if there are people who have relaocated to Florida and are happy with their decision. Thanks in advance for the input.
Compared to Chicago with high taxes and very very high crime, Jupiter will be paradise. Just keep in mind a few things:

1. Jupiter is on the coast. That means you will be at very high risk for hurricanes.

2. Because of being high risk, car and home owner's insurance will be through the roof. You might not be able to get coverage and have to go for the bankrupt, public owned Citizen's Insurance.

3. West Palm is not really that family oriented. I don't know about Jupiter.

4. Jupiter is not a "urban" setting if you compare it to Chicago. It is nicer, medium-size town feeling. Better than Chicago, if you ask me.

Finally, as for your question: "I'm just trying to find out if there are people who have relaocated to Florida and are happy with their decision".

My answer is: I lived in a "brutally cold place" (Denver) and is not 1/2 as bad as Chicago. We moved down here and it is NOT what it seems cracked up to be. Violent crime, urban sprawl, illegal aliens, terrible summers that last 9-months, and absurd cost of living/low wages made us very FL weary.

One important consideration: If you think you will leave Chicago where you make $200,000/year, get ready to make $100,000 or less in FL. Wages here are much lower and jobs are hard to get.

One more thing: FL gets a ton of tornadoes.... you need to do some research on that. We just had one today!!

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

The answer is NO, I am not happy with the decision and we are moving out of state.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

ML

Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,207,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannievb View Post
Good point - what months do you consider to be the most brutal of summer? Is the heat to intense to go outside - even to the pool or beach? Thanks for you opinions.
It is hard to enjoy the beach when you can't walk on it. The humidity in April to Sept was a killer. So were the 600.00/month central air bills.

I love the beach, but if you get up at 7AM and are already dripping from the heat- that is too much for some people.

sunny

Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 AM

155 posts, read 211,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
It is hard to enjoy the beach when you can't walk on it. The humidity in April to Sept was a killer. So were the 600.00/month central air bills.

I love the beach, but if you get up at 7AM and are already dripping from the heat- that is too much for some people.

sunny
FL is pretty, if you like beaches, it's even better. The issue is that there are other factors that come into play that diminish the pleasure of outdoor activities: the heat, bugs, and oppressive humidity.

Not to mention the safety issue. How many people get robbed while walking on the beach at night? Quite a few!!

As SunnyHelena correctly pointed out.... the cost of having a decent lifestyle here are quite high and many cannot afford it or if they can, they feel that nightly walks on the beach are not eneough to justify such costs.

Thanks to Sunny for such a good post!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 AM

598 posts, read 1,996,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
News flash...sweating is healthy
Yeah, a little heat-stroke never hurt anybody... lol

Old 02-03-2007, 01:25 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,270,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou2007 View Post
Compared to Chicago with high taxes and very very high crime, Jupiter will be paradise. Just keep in mind a few things:

1. Jupiter is on the coast. That means you will be at very high risk for hurricanes.

2. Because of being high risk, car and home owner's insurance will be through the roof. You might not be able to get coverage and have to go for the bankrupt, public owned Citizen's Insurance.

3. West Palm is not really that family oriented. I don't know about Jupiter.

4. Jupiter is not a "urban" setting if you compare it to Chicago. It is nicer, medium-size town feeling. Better than Chicago, if you ask me.

Finally, as for your question: "I'm just trying to find out if there are people who have relaocated to Florida and are happy with their decision".

My answer is: I lived in a "brutally cold place" (Denver) and is not 1/2 as bad as Chicago. We moved down here and it is NOT what it seems cracked up to be. Violent crime, urban sprawl, illegal aliens, terrible summers that last 9-months, and absurd cost of living/low wages made us very FL weary.

One important consideration: If you think you will leave Chicago where you make $200,000/year, get ready to make $100,000 or less in FL. Wages here are much lower and jobs are hard to get.

One more thing: FL gets a ton of tornadoes.... you need to do some research on that. We just had one today!!

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

The answer is NO, I am not happy with the decision and we are moving out of state.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

ML
Are you still here??????????????

Old 02-03-2007, 03:32 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,193,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post

sunny
Wow.
Between April and October I walked my dog every morning on the beach between 7-8am, and swam in the Gulf every afternoon between 3 and 4.
Our AC bills were less than half that.
Is this the difference between north and south Florida, or is this merely the difference between a person's comfort levels?

Old 02-03-2007, 07:40 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,570,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
The company I work for sent me down to Tampa for a project. When I got there, I hated life in itself. I had a rv and stayed in Thenonasassa just outside of Tampa. The humidity sucked. The heat sucked. The bugs were terrible. The RV park I set up in was hooded with big tall oak trees that shaded us pretty good. So thick I couldn't even get a satallite signal.

I'm not sure when the transition happened. But I was down there for 13 months. I worked independently and I was the only rep there. Finally one day, the boss called and said, "I need you in Grand Prairie Texas." I said, "What, you want me to leave paradise??????" I don't want to go. I stamped my foot and said "I ain't going, it's nice here." An hour later I was hooked on and pulling toward Grand Prairie.

Like I said, I'm not sure when I transitioned from not liking it to not wanting to leave. Sure, there was some humidity, got used to it. There was some heat. Got used to it. When I got there, I thought, damn thunderstorm every day. By the time I left I'd be setting out in a lawn chair drinking a beer with a neighbor saying, "Where's our thunderstorm today?"

But I moved to Grand Prairie. The morning I pulled in there, I was setting up my trailer on jacks and hooking up my water. It was 10 in the morning and the temp was 110 degrees. I was there for a while. Took pictures of over 20 tornadoes that I could take pictures of with no zoom. Finally one day the boss called and said, I need you in xxxx. I said, "What, you want me to leave paradise? Are you nuts?"

What I'm trying to say is that you get used to an area. You learn to live with the environment instead of fighting it. Once you break that threshold, your home.
BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO!!!!
I TOTALLY agree with you. Deal with what you got, and, if you don't like it, don't just moan and complain about it....DO SOMETHING about it. If you don't like one place, get up, and move away. (That's what makes the US so great....going where ever your little heart desires....lol) That's exactly what we are doing. FL was a mistake for us, so now we pick up the pieces and look for our little "paradise" someplace else.
The only other thing I am saying is, I am shocked, and VERY sad, on what FL has become. Not unly pertaining to the people living here, but with the whole eco system (Lake Okechobee, the everglades...etc.)
I am sorry, but I am really concerned....

Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,207,880 times
Smile It may be cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Wow.
Between April and October I walked my dog every morning on the beach between 7-8am, and swam in the Gulf every afternoon between 3 and 4.
Our AC bills were less than half that.
Is this the difference between north and south Florida, or is this merely the difference between a person's comfort levels?
where you are cil- you are on the NW gulf? I am being honest in that while December was beautiful I found March through September intolerable for me. We could only visit the beach in the fall. Summer was impossible.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or