U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2006, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 117,719 times

Advertisements

Help!
I have read all these postings, and would like more input from everyone. We are relocating to Florida in April. My husband will be working in the Fort Myers area. Realtors b/s about certain areas because they want to sell a house in their own areas (i get that) so the more input i get from all of you the better. One realtor told me the Ft. Myers was busy, crowed, high crime, not very safe area. He swore the Cape was the safest, quietest and best place to be.

Where would i find info on homeowners ins. & hurricane ins.? Is flood ins. a seperate ins.? And the schools, my daughter will be in 11th grade next year, and would love any info anyone has about the schools.
One last thing - which side of the state is better to live in as far as crime rate, weather & hurricanes go??

Thank you everyone ~
Wendi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 12:12 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,339,446 times
Cape Coral has higher crime then you think Check this out. The News Press. “The real estate scheme involving a Cape Coral police officer that cheated investors out of nearly $30 million is the first of its kind in Lee County, one official said.”

“‘Honest-to-goodness, I’ve never heard of anything like that happening here before,’ Richard Barnes, Lee County sheriff’s detective said. ‘It’s mind-boggling that it was as big as it was and it went on for as long as it did. It seems like a pretty elaborate operation with a lot of people involved,’ Barnes said.”

“It was Gonzalo’s job to help locate potential properties and write contracts through Atlas Real Estate. The homes were promised to be sold within six months. Ronald Luczak, a former New York stock broker and ex-convict, would tell investors the excess money would go into an escrow account, which would be used to make the monthly mortgage payments. Sometimes he made the payments, sometimes he didn’t.”

“The investors were told they would get $5,000 upfront and half the profits after Luczak sold the house. Investors would sign off on the loan application and wait for the properties to be sold.”

Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,316 times
Default how about Lehigh Acres

I am also relocating to the Cape Coral area and was wondering about the services, etc... in the Lehigh Acres area. Housing seems more affordable there but it dosent seem to have a lot of conviences in the area. Can anyone give me a heads up on this?
Art

Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM

1,247 posts, read 699,073 times
Where will you be working?

Lehigh Acres is not a good place to live. It was one of the last affordable areas to buy, in Lee county, during the real estate boom. It has since become more and more unsafe. Where you work is important. The road infrastructure is atrocious, overall. While there are certain roads that are wide and in good condition, there are even more that have too few lanes and are falling apart.

I feel for the guy who lives in Naples and works in Cape Coral. That drive is crazy. I lived in Fort Myers and worked in Naples for several months (45-75 minutes, every day, each way, depending on traffic), before I bought a place 10 minutes from where I work. Beyond the money I save on gasoline, I get 1-2 hours of my life back, every single day. You can't put a price on that.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
Wow, maybe that is why I heard someone say that they call it Cape Communist...this is not a joke.
OK this is slightly exagerated....Yes these are all rules on the books Cape Coral is like one big deeded community we have county code enforcement officers that ride around and issue tickets but heres the truth...Most of the time they are not going to bother you unless a neighbor complains occasionally they may drive around a neighborhood and cite people for violations. They don't just hand you a ticket they give you a warning and ask you to correct the issue within 5 days..at least my experience is most of the guys that do this are pretty understanding of the working folk..years ago we had a code enforcement officer that went around out neighborhood about once a week..he would stop and chat with my husband and mostly verbally warn him all silly things- trash cans in frount of the house, trailer at the side of the house and parking a lettered vehicle in the driveway...my husband used to work as a plumber and when he would be on call he obviously brought his van home..In the cape this is a big no no..the only time he ever wrote up a warning was if one of our neighbors called and complained...

I have many times left my trash cans at the street for several days, put my trash out days earlier than trash pick up day, left my garage door up all night and have rarely been warned or ticketed for these heinous acts.Its a bit annoying yes but on the other hand drive around the cape and its rare to find a run down house with out of control weeds, trash scattered about or in general being kept as storage facilities for trailers, boats, rv and used car parts

Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,635 times
Things to watch for:

Cape Coral Utility Expansion: The city of Cape Coral is fast tracking the expansion of the city utility system, water, sewer, and irrigation. They are doing it in one year increments. All areas south of Pine Island Road, except three, now have utilities.

If you buy a home in an area that does not yet have utilities, be prepared for a $20,000+ assesment fee in the future. All homes north of Pine Island Road will be subject to the utility expansion within the next eight years.

Property Taxes and Homeowners Insurance: There is a very good chance the type of home you are looking for will come with at least a $4,000 a year property tax. Coming from the NE, that may not bother you. The real problem to me is Homeowners Insurance. The supply of insurers keeps dwindling in Florida causing rates to skyrocket. I've gone from $850 a year to almost $2,000 in four years. Allstate has informed me there is another 40% increase coming this year. State Farm is trying to get a 75% increase!

Age Of Home: Try to avoid homes built prior to 92/93, pre-Hurricane Andrew. Newer homes are built under stronger codes. You want to avoid frame construction. They are difficult to get insured.

Hurricanes: Parts of Cape Coral had it's first evacuation last year. It's a reality down here and is predicted to be for a long while. You need to be prepared that may happen and decide if you can live with that and do you have a place to go. It is a stressful event, especially if you have pets.

Employment: Good paying professional jobs are difficult to come by in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers metro area. While many national articles rave about the low unemployment and local economy, be aware, it is mostly driven by the construction, service, and medical industries. Someone with a BS in Business looking for a fortune 500 type of company will be disappointed. Affordable housing is becoming a major issue in the area. The civil service sector is struggling to find affordable housing in the area causing many to live in undesriable areas further away.

Schools: Sorry I can't be much help here as I do not have children. I work with many who do and most are from other parts of the country as well. Some say the schools are ok while others don't care for them. As a whole, Florida ranks in the bottom third when it comes to education. There are some decent schools, you'll just need to do you homework.

Hope that helps...[/quote]

I agree with much of this posting...I don't recall a mandatory evacuation last year only voluntary which goes with the hurricanes and these storms are being taken much more seriously for obvious reasons.

Schools I have 2 children in Cape Schools One in High School one in Elementary School...both my children attended Gulf Elementary School and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the school, they both had wonderful caring teachers...I have heard others talk about the other elementary schools in the area and have rarely heard a negative thing about one of them..Middle school thats anouther story all together I changed my daughters middle school 4 times in 3 years and finally decided its 3 years of hell you just have to try to survive...High schools been a totally different story I have my kid back she attends Ida Baker High and it truly is a very wonderful school with a unique program...teachers again seem to care...I have heard different things about all the high schools good and bad and I guess it all depends they all have their unique programs and I think one just needs to take the time to tour the schools and find the right fit...however with the lottery system getting into a school of your choice can sometimes be difficult and very frustrating this is in all of Lee County Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or