U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 AM

317 posts, read 1,100,622 times

Advertisements

I saw the news on TV. I am praying everyone here and your loved ones are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 09:55 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,046,829 times
From Arizona: Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,298,333 times
OMG, I am SO sorry for what some of you had to go through last night. I saw all the storm watches last night on the weather channel and have first now caught up on the horrible damage and loss of life. I was just feeling sorry for myself and dreaming about Fla. cause we have a terrible cold spell here with windchills expected to reach down to the -40s, but after seeing what you went through, I feel so silly for my whining. I hope you're all safe and my prayers are with you.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:27 AM

1,608 posts, read 8,997,023 times
I'm in Volusia County... it was nasty last night, that's for sure. I haven't went out of the house but places around here like DeLand and New Smyrna Beach are a mess. I just looked up the state rankings for what states get the most tornadoes...Florida is number 4, I didn't know that!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,298,333 times
Yes, and I didn't realize that tornadoes in Feb. isn't extremely rare there either. The weather channel said it's when you have your most powerful tornadoes.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM

58 posts, read 383,940 times
Default Tornados

I have said a prayer for all of the people affected by this disaster, especially for those who did not make it through. May God Bless all who have suffered.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 AM

14,602 posts, read 29,445,844 times
I only live in Pasco, didn't get the brunt of the mess - but all last night the weather was JUST like a freakin' hurricane! Very windy and lots of rain. This is now the second time for tornadoes - last time they hit San Antonio in Pasco Christmas Day and destroyed several homes.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,506,717 times
I too am in shock over this.....and praying for all those effected.
I'm eating my words a bit.....as I said, I'm new to this Florida thing, and have stated I have much to learn.

As many of you know here, we are closing on a home in Leesburg this week.
Our new home is only 11 miles or so south of Lady Lake.....we were actually there a few weeks ago.

It goes to show you.......none are guaranteed tomorrow. We plan on being down there this Wednesday. It kind of reminds me of a statistic I read years ago......the article stated that Oklahoma City was the safest place to live in the US.....one week before the famous bombing. You never know.

I spoke to some this morning who live down there. They said that it is the first time they remember anything like this in this part of Florida......usually it is a bit more North.

My prayers are with all affected.

Frank D.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:58 PM

168 posts, read 686,071 times
frank, let us know how your house is and how your neighbors are. your new house is close to where this huge storm passed through.

you can't control the weather - there is no "eating of words" frank. there isn't a place on earth immune from the vagaries of weather. even in oregon (still hoping to come home to florida soon), we were something like #2, i think, on a recent list of levees that could blow at any time. i live within a block of the mckenzie river and both it and the willamette have been known to cause huge floods in this area.

they have forest fires, hail storms at the drop of a hat - and don't forget the tsunami warning horns on the oregon coast.

these tornadoes were part of the "el nino" effect. doesn't make them any less horrific and my thoughts are with my friends in florida (i'm trying to get ahold of one of them right now who is in marion county), and all of those affected.

i experienced tornadoes while living in gainesville - fortunately one skipped over the apt complex in the mid-70s (really frightening storm at night); and the other one(s) skipped around and hit a nearby city in the 90s.

i wish i could live in a plastic bubble, but i don't. no one does.

let us know how things are, frank.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,685,307 times
Hang in there, Frank. We're with you. Let us know, ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida