U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 AM

8 posts, read 24,189 times

Advertisements

HI
I am wondering if anyone ...here is from Lady Lake and has children and are now homeless from this disaster!
I have some items I would like to send to them as right now I know money is easier but I have items of interest that I would like to send to a family that is now in need of anything and everything!
Please email me and we can try to help if possible!
Thanks and prayers to all in Florida that are going through this right now!
God Bless!
MzTee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 11:42 AM

251 posts, read 956,387 times
This thread smells fishy.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Why... some people just want to help... but cant afford the cash! I have two girls and have many brand new and used items that I can box up for JUST THE RIGHT FAMILY! And I guess there are none out there that actually want to help but cant afford to help with $$ because I have things that some might need! Yes... I can give to our local charity but I can do that any day and I would like to help when, where and if I can anywhere!
I can sell the items on ebay or consignment stores but sometimes I would just like to help! I have done this before with a family from New Orleans and sent a box to a family with a little girl that had lost all her toys and such!
Yes they are doing fine now and I know they appreciated the thought that someone just wanted to help!
NO FISHINESS HERE! Hey ...I have to trust that the ones whom reply are actually homeless!
So please to whomever that is in need please do get in touch! Thanks
MzTee

Old 02-02-2007, 02:32 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Hmmm.... well, would someone who is homeless be on the internet?

Perhaps a better question is, "Does anyone here KNOW anyone who needs help in Lady Lake?"

Old 02-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Actually some might be looking for family on the internet and some might have family looking for help for someone in Lady Lake! A question is a question and why do you have to be so Hmmmm about it! I am ONLY TRYING TO HELP! But get snarty remarks ... go figure... if you dont need help why are you reading this! Thanks for your kind remarks!
Guess my help is not needed on this site!
Thanks for your warmth!
God Bless anyhow!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 PM

168 posts, read 688,500 times
mztee, in times of weather disasters, what people don't need - and please don't read any snarkiness into this - are things sent to them by people out of state or out of the area. what they generally need are what the red cross provides or (one hopes) FEMA.

i speak from experience - after andrew, all of florida (and the country) loaded up big rig trailers with clothes, and other "needed" things, and sent them to the miami area. NONE of it was used. they ended up having to dump all of it (tons and tons and tons) and burn it.

i was one of the ones who volunteered in gainesville to sift thrown the tons of donations from our city/country and along with others, loaded the stuff onto trailers and off it went. this was a city/county wide effort. we felt as if we were doing a good thing. turns out, all it did was needlessly clog the roadways with tractor trailer rigs, put a tremendous strain on south florida clean up efforts (since they already had tons of debris and their own area donations to deal with), and in the end, nothing was used.

if you want to help, donate money to the red cross.

at least, that's my suggestion. your heart is in the right place, but what people will need more than anything is money to get back on their feet.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 PM

238 posts, read 595,809 times
gloating? no , i have dear friends and family in florida , what i get tired of is the out of state non natives whining that we complain and rain on there parade. when all we have tryed to do is get them to see its not what it use to be . i have ran from more canes and tornadoes , fires , flooding then most ,as iam a 4th generation floridian . in fact my grandfather who is 97 this year was born in wachula , fl . he can tell some stories about florida; you could say he is a cracker. actually i feel really bad for the people in these areas esp the elderly and children and do not wish this on anyone but at the same time PEOPLE moving here need to listen to those of us who know florida and stop wearing rose colored glasses. The reason i said this was due to franks whining post about florida bashing and the FACT that i knew he was not living here yet nor has he lost his money as he is closing next week , eye opener so to speak not malice as you see it

Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,907,475 times
Lightbulb Florida Tornadoes Spur Major Red Cross Response

If individuals are interested in providing assistance, the Red Cross is the best organization for this type of emergency. Normally the will take money or will coordinate drop-off places to collect clothing and other items.

http://www.redcross.org/index.html (broken link)

Link for donations:
http://www.redcross.org/donate/goods/ (broken link)

Central Florida residents and vacationers received a devastating blow to the start of February as tornadoes ripped through communities across the state, prompting Florida Gov. Charlie Crist to declare a state of emergency in Lake, Seminole, Sumter and Volusia counties.

In the wake of these devastating tornadoes that also affected mobile homes and disabled power to thousands, community members are in need of a safe place to stay, a nutritious meal and support as they begin the road to recovery.

http://www.redcross.org/article/0,1072,0_312_6154,00.html (broken link)

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-02-2007 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: added link for donations

Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 PM

168 posts, read 688,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
gloating? no , i have dear friends and family in florida , what i get tired of is the out of state non natives whining that we complain and rain on there parade. when all we have tryed to do is get them to see its not what it use to be . i have ran from more canes and tornadoes , fires , flooding then most ,as iam a 4th generation floridian . in fact my grandfather who is 97 this year was born in wachula , fl . he can tell some stories about florida; you could say he is a cracker. actually i feel really bad for the people in these areas esp the elderly and children and do not wish this on anyone but at the same time PEOPLE moving here need to listen to those of us who know florida and stop wearing rose colored glasses. The reason i said this was due to franks whining post about florida bashing and the FACT that i knew he was not living here yet nor has he lost his money as he is closing next week , eye opener so to speak not malice as you see it
although i am currently out of state, my "cred" is as good as yours. i can tell you some stories about florida, too, and mine don't come anywhere near as horrific as the tales some select people here seem to enjoy telling about florida.

the fact is, if people stop coming to florida or wanting to live there, the florida economy would nosedive. do you wish to be on welfare if that should happen? i personally would like florida to have less population - the ecology of the state simply can't handle the constant influx of people who decide to live there.

it's one thing to tell of your experience - and by the way, please list the tornadoes experienced personally (year would be good; also the damage incurred), the fires that affected your home, the hurricanes that took your roof.

those things happen - certainly they do. but the hystrionics that i continually read here about florida is like a potboiler novel by carl hiassen. it's the same people, with the same grudges, with the same histrionic posts about florida. i stay here because my experience and that of not only my lifelong florida friends, but also my coworkers, has been perhaps better but certainly it never made any one of us feel the way the group here feels.

i've been in two or three tornadoes in florida myself - one went right over the top of my apt building in the dead of night in the 70s; two others affected the county i lived in in the 90s. been through my share of hurricanes - lived in miami from 1951- 1984. had them affect gainesville too (1986 -2003). had forest fires choke up north central florida for a month, never lost a thing to them nor did any of my coworkers/friends/family. and the flooding - i missed some hurricane flooding too. did you?

my uncle came to miami in 1913, btw. so while i wasn't born there, i most certainly can speak about my own long time experience with the state.

the problem is when you and others post it comes off as a vendetta against florida. that you see yourselves as "saviors" - as in, saving people from themselves (moving to florida) is really kind of...weird.

but when you come into two separate threads to gloat to frank, who is most likely worried sick not only about his new house in leesburg but ALSO of his neighbors (one is someone whom he has said is a longtime and beloved friend), that's really pathetic.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:13 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,334,554 times
Who is Frank?! I don't see a post from a Frank here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or