Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM

40 posts, read 191,092 times

Advertisements

We are buying a foreclosure in N. Naples.

My realtor told us that a termite inspection is not required in FL and that few people do them on concrete/stucco homes. This is the first state we have lived in where the seller did not have to provide this! House was built in 2003. Construction is stucco over concrete block and concrete tile roof. There is a 2nd floor bonus room that is frame.

The house sat vacant for ~1yr. w/o regular maintenance. During our home inspection, inspector found mold on the coils of the AC and in the pan. The filters are also filthy. Should we get the mold inspection to make sure this mold is non-toxic before closing? Or should we wait until we have the AC serviced to see if this remediates the problem?

What about radon inspection? I am getting to the point of not knowing whether people are looking out for our best interest or if they are just trying to up sell every product that they offer.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:41 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Your realtor is just trying to avoid issues. I would definetly get a termite inspection and have a full home ispection by a licensed home inspector.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
A termite inspection is highly recommended, I believe it is the buyer's responsibility, it should have been a part of your general inspection.

The seller should have released to you a statement that they have no knowledge of the presence of mold.

It sounds like there was or is leakage from the AC system. You should definitely have a mold inspection.

It sounds like the general inspection also included a search for mold. If the general inspection mentions mold in just one or two areas, and you don't want to spend another $500 for a whole-scale mold inspection, try to find a mold inspection company that will analyze the mold that you detected around the AC unit, you could save a couple hundred.

I am in a similar situation right now.

What do others think?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
A termite inspection should be done. They are usually only $25-$35.

Mold around the A/C is very common in Florida especially for a home that was vacant.
A spray bottle with bleach cleans it up quickly. If it makes you feel more comfortable get the inspection.

If it is a newer home radon should not be a problem and it is only common in a few areas to have radon problems. There are some websites where you can check to see if an area has a high incidence of radon.

Zone 1 counties have a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) (red zones) Highest Potential
Zone 2 counties have a predicted average indoor radon screening level between 2 and 4 pCi/L (orange zones) Moderate Potential
Zone 3 counties have a predicted average indoor radon screening level less than 2 pCi/L (yellow zones) Low Potential

Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

Mold around the A/C is very common in Florida especially for a home that was vacant.
A spray bottle with bleach cleans it up quickly. If it makes you feel more comfortable get the inspection.
Thanks for some common-sense advice, both about the mold and the rest.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
A termite inspection is not required by law in Florida, but I wouldn't buy a house without an inspection for wood destroying organisms.
In Florida there are dry wood and subterranean termites. Get a termite inspection. The presents of termites shouldn't be a deal breaker unless there is significant damage.
Mold in A/C units and duct work is common in older homes. I add a table spoon of bleach to my drain pan each month when I change filters. If there are signs of plumbing leaks you might consider a mold inspection.
I've never tested for radon since moving to Florida, had it in Maryland. I live with my home open most of the year so my radon risk indoors is about the same as outdoors.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:43 AM

40 posts, read 191,092 times
Thanks all for the good and practical info and advice. I think we will go ahead with the termite inspection and maybe look into the mold more. We are having a HVAC guy come and check the AC, he may have further advice.

We did have a future neighbor tell us to spray a can of lysol into the AC change the filters before and after. The bleach in the pan sounds like good advice too!

Thanks for the radon info too...I will try and find the website with the map. From the attached map, I couldn't tell which was zone 1, 2 or 3.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Zone 3-Low Potential

Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
I wouldn't touch a house without a termite and mold inspection.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 AM

986 posts, read 3,549,915 times
In my experience if you are paying cash you dont have to have them done. If you are using a mortgage then they usually require it. Regardless of whether you are paying cash or using a mortgage, Get a mold/termite and an inspection done. all in all for the sake of no more than $450.00 you are getting piece of mind and i dont think you can put a price on that.

I also recommend getting a home warranty which costs no more than $399.99
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida