U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:08 AM

20 posts, read 86,399 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am thinking of relocating my family to Florida don't know exactly where yet because I have to do my research and plan everything accordingly, I have three children 13,12,6 (2 girls and 1 boy) I am tired of the city life and I want a place where my kids can run play explore, (maybe have a pool) but I am afraid of hurricanes, and of course crime ( that we have everywhere ) of course but I would like opinions on where I should start looking .
MY plans are to purchase a home not that expensive but comfortable for my family I was told that Tampa was good and Kissimmee was good also any suggestions? also my industry is IT I work as helpdesk coordinator in NY would it be hard for me to find a job over there?
My husband and I are very excited my children a bit scared but I think it will be in their best interest please help me out and give me some suggestions
good neighborhoods, and area that my children could have fun and low crime.
Thank You in advance for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 11:34 AM

598 posts, read 2,035,926 times
Well if you're tired of the city life, don't come to Tampa! lol This is big city living for sure. Lots of crime, miserable traffic, overcrowded schools (portables everywhere) and certainly NOT a safe place to let your kids explore or play out of your sight. Sorry to put a damper on one of your choices, but this area is especially worrysome for kids. There are alot of sex offenders here. Maybe in the gated communities it's better? Can't speak for Kissimmee though as I've never been there.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM

That was one of my options do you have any other recommendations? I heard alot about the sex predators in Florida and that's a scary thought
do you live in Tampa?

Can I get any Pros and Cons of moving to Florida from NY
Please any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thank You

Last edited by Marka; 06-02-2006 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,545,153 times
Default sexual predators living in fla

there are many there --- as does any state with 17-18 million ppl, but here's an interesting fact..... go to "familywatchdog.com" and type in your zip code/ potential zip code and it will tell you how many are in your area. here's an interesting note: i did a comaprison of where i live now (28806 zip code) vs my new zip code in oviedo (32765 zip code) and the asheville area had many, many more registered sex offenders. now when you comare the amount of ppl that live in the 32765 zip code (many ppl) vs the 28806 zip code of west asheville (less ppl i would think) and it's pretty alarming. i then compared the w asheville zip to my old zip code in west palm bch, and yet again, more sex offenders in west asheville. yikes.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Thank You for the website I will def use it!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:21 PM

no problem... lemme know if that is the correct web address. i am pretty sure it is family watch dog dot com. and like i said, you might be suprised. some bigger cities with more ppl (orlando) have less than small hick towns in nc. quite strange but it's sometimes true. yikes.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:38 PM

Default more info for you... interesting facts:

registered sexual offenders:

west asheville, nc (28806) - 136

oviedo/east orlando, fl (32765) - 25
wpb, fl (33417) - 25
pembroke pines, fl (33029) - 21

Old 06-01-2006, 05:13 PM

598 posts, read 2,035,926 times
try it by county from the dept. of law enforcement:

Hillsborough (Tampa) 1395

Orange (Orlando) 1331

Palm Beach 838

Buncombe (Asheville) 257

http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/sexual_predators/search.asp?sopu=true& (broken link)

http://ncregistry.ncsbi.gov/(S(awprm2b0xvszr52x5hj0tjzs))/search.aspx (broken link)

NYJV, I live in Pinellas Co. but work throughout Tampa. I wish I could offer you a nice area to move to, but I've only lived in Tampa Bay (as far as Fla) and just like you I'm looking to move out from the big city. We've had enough of Florida after many years here and are looking forward to moving out of state to lower bills, cooler weather, change of seasons, LESS people, quiet country living

Good luck with your search.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:35 PM

14 posts, read 47,995 times
I would only say one thing about your proposed move to FL! DON'T DO IT!! The expenses here are exorbitant and increasing every day. Insurance is unbelievably expensive (if you can get it). Traffic is horrendous and there are no "small, quiet, country-living type towns." Everything is now being torn down for condos. If you are very wealthy, go ahead and try it. We've been here 28 years and can no longer afford it. Moving back up North.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Default hard to say

which site is correct, and why numbers are different (i went with the one the doctor phil had talked about on his show one day, ha ha). but anyways, it is easier to do (imo) a zip code parameter than an entire county or city b/c the # of ppl in tampa area heavily outweigh the # of ppl comapred to asheville (65000 ppl) --- thus it is not really a good comparison.

so in your example, there is: 257 in asheville and 1330 (or whatever in pinellas co.), but in tampa area, there's atleast times as many ppl. so it's tough to do a county or metro area, b/c of the difference in ppl. it has to be a per capita comparison to really do a fair comparison.

needless to say, there are too many in the areas of tampa and asheville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or