U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,597,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
There is no point my argueing with you because you have just illustrated that that you do not know what yoru talking about. Firstly, unless a realtor is representing both buyer and seller which is very unusual, they will not earn 6-7%. The total which is usually 6% is split between both agents so our brokerages would take in 3%. From there the agent has to split this amount with the broker which could be anything from a 45%-100% split. The realty of the situation is that most end up getting 1.5% which has to cover all our expenses (gas, realtor fees, mls fees, national and regional fees, super key fees add to this the amount we recieve is then taxed).

It is common sense that premis by looking at whichever set of figures you choose (NAR or other) to use that is you purchased in 1999 then 6 years would have put them right at the peak and they would have realisec a profit. Even if they purchased in say 2003 then by 2010-2012 the market will have evened itself out and people will see a long term return on their investment beyond that. I think you are missing the point completely. People buy a home to live and raise their families. The first thing on their mind isnt how much can i make on this property. I have to be honest you sound like an investor pure and simple and im not surprised your bitter because you have probably been burned. But you dont even understand how a realtor is compensated so its difficult to take in what your saying because i think you have just shown to anyone reading this that you dont really understand the mechanics and the realty of the situation. I bet for the people who bought in the late 90s and sold around 2005 real estate wasnt a big time loser. Besides, you havent even considered that the majority of peoples wealth comes from their home. I dont know how you will be able to dispute this as this is a well know fact.

I do sincerely wish you the best though because by the sound of it you dont really know what you are talking about and that is ashame considering that not only i but from what i have read the majority of people disagree with everything you have said. There is no point argueing about it because you do come across as one of the people on here who thinks they know everything, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and i wish you the best.
I may not be the most intelligent person (despite my postgraduate degrees) in the world, but I was/am smart enough to know that I would have made the biggest mistake in my life if I purchased a home from you, a deceptive (or totally misinformed) Florida realtor during the past decade. I am not dealing with foreclosure and/or unrealistic bank payments for a piece of property that devalues daily. I did not rely nor trust in your presumptive professional real estate market knowledge (???) to guide me through this sometimes cumbersome process. I do not have to look at a block building that I could have purchased from you, and realize that for all the money I paid, I still have no equity because the house is not worth anywhere near what you (or one of your colleagues said it was worth). I am not kicking myself for indirectly paying 6-7% of the sales price of the house from an industry representative(s) who overall value commission over integrity.

It is still a misnomer to call a house an investment. This "smoke and mirror" effort to mislead your clients certainly aids in your sales propaganda, but is not the truth. Even in the best of times, housing prices have struggled to keep pace with inflation. It is one thing to purchase a house for one's domicile, it is quite another to equate it as being a "cash cow". I truly empathize with the individuals who are have counted upon this perceived investment as a means to safely stash their savings.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:50 AM

944 posts, read 2,650,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Yeah, I hear you. I make a point about how the O.P. has no clue what he's talking about and that half the things he says are false and all I get in response are childish comebacks. It really makes you wonder if some of these people are what they say they are or if they are some bored 12 year old that gets their kicks pissing people off..
You're ruining an othwerwise productive thread with misinformation and presumptions. I'm sorry your house is losing value and your beloved refrigerator is a source of stress and moral dilemma.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 AM

985 posts, read 2,238,848 times
I think you have proven my point for me. You dont know me from Adam and yet you are slaming me and my reputation all because you dont know what you are talking about. I pity you. You obviously don have a clue about what you are talking about and anyone reading your posts can see that. To slam someone you dont know really shows your ignorance.

TNRyan23 i have to agree with you completely, although i do see some of Muggys comments aswell. I do hope you are not endorsing retiredcoaches views though Muggy because otherwise that would make you the same as him and we all know what i think about him/her.....;-)

Im going to leave this thread now because there is no point arguing with people who do not know what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I may not be the most intelligent person (despite my postgraduate degrees) in the world, but I was/am smart enough to know that I would have made the biggest mistake in my life if I purchased a home from you, a deceptive (or totally misinformed) Florida realtor during the past decade. I am not dealing with foreclosure and/or unrealistic bank payments for a piece of property that devalues daily. I did not rely nor trust in your presumptive professional real estate market knowledge (???) to guide me through this sometimes cumbersome process. I do not have to look at a block building that I could have purchased from you, and realize that for all the money I paid, I still have no equity because the house is not worth anywhere near what you (or one of your colleagues said it was worth). I am not kicking myself for indirectly paying 6-7% of the sales price of the house from an industry representative(s) who overall value commission over integrity.

It is still a misnomer to call a house an investment. This "smoke and mirror" effort to mislead your clients certainly aids in your sales propaganda, but is not the truth. Even in the best of times, housing prices have struggled to keep pace with inflation. It is one thing to purchase a house for one's domicile, it is quite another to equate it as being a "cash cow". I truly empathize with the individuals who are have counted upon this perceived investment as a means to safely stash their savings.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 AM

944 posts, read 2,650,978 times
This thread is beyond bizarre. I usually disagree with Mike, but like that he is fixing up a house and dislikes strippers. I've always admired Retiredcoach's posts, lost some respect, but then he posts again and we're back on track. Fan writes a bunch of stuff I agree with but then underhandedly insults me. To top it off, we've got some guy from another state tossing around inappropriate analogies. For folks watching at home - thinking about moving here - this is a lot like daily life in the Sunshine State. I still say people that strip their houses are criminals.

I'm surprised that so many people are upset that I would like to buy a house at a discount. After the bubble am I supposed to still pay an inflated price? The best thing for Florida would be to get solvent, responsible, young families like mine into neglected, flopped properties.

Apparently everybody hates this idea.

Last edited by Muggy; 09-13-2008 at 06:43 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I think you have proven my point for me. You dont know me from Adam and yet you are slaming me and my reputation all because you dont know what you are talking about. I pity you. You obviously don have a clue about what you are talking about and anyone reading your posts can see that. To slam someone you dont know really shows your ignorance.

TNRyan23 i have to agree with you completely, although i do see some of Muggys comments aswell. I do hope you are not endorsing retiredcoaches views though Muggy because otherwise that would make you the same as him and we all know what i think about him/her.....;-)

Im going to leave this thread now because there is no point arguing with people who do not know what they are talking about.
All I ask is that you prove me wrong with the facts, not your random thoughts. Please prove to me that residential real estate home prices have kept pace with inflation (they have not). Please prove to me that a home buyer "will be all right in 7 to 8 years" from any reliable research study (beyond a guess). You have convinced yourself that because you took a few hours of classes, you are an expert on real estate and market conditions. It is easier for you to attack my position than to prove your own. This may come as a surprise to you, but realtors such as you, who attempt to purvey random thoughts as market investments, have violated a public trust. I would not go to my family doctor for electrical wiring, my plumber to represent me in my legal matters, nor ask for a medical prescription from my lawyer. You are merely as a used car salesperson with a few hours of classes pretending to be something you are not. Unfortunately, your license allows you to do this, and many who trusted your limited knowledge are paying a heavy price for your misinformation.

Muggy , TNRyan and I may not always agree with each other's posts, but none of us is using our limited knowledge to mislead those who trust us. Our random thoughts or our reading/questioning/researching will not translate into 6-7% commissions, and we are ever more cognizant that those advising us may be sacrificing integrity/trust to sell us a "bill of goods".

Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
This thread is beyond bizarre. I usually disagree with Mike, but like that he is fixing up a house and dislikes strippers. I've always admired Retiredcoach's posts, lost some respect, but then he posts again and we're back on track. Fan writes a bunch of stuff I agree with but then underhandedly insults me. To top it off, we've got some guy from another state tossing around inappropriate analogies. For folks watching at home - thinking about moving here - this is a lot like daily life in the Sunshine State. I still say people that strip their houses are criminals.

I'm surprised that so many people are upset that I would like to buy a house at a discount. After the bubble am I supposed to still pay an inflated price? The best thing for Florida would be to get solvent, responsible, young families like mine into neglected, flopped properties.

Apparently everybody hates this idea.
Muggy,

The market is still in the process of bottoming out. I like to read Larry's take on Cocoa Beach real estate. He continually updates the sale prices, and his perspectives are often informative and insightful. Many properties are being reduced to shockingly low levels in that area, and yet, are still not being sold. Those that are sold, are often at a deep discount.

You would be crazy not to attempt to purchase your home at the absolute lowest price possible. You are in the driver's seat, and you should be able to dictate the price that you will pay. The months ahead are traditionally slower in the Florida real estate marketplace, and there are even fewer willing buyers (such as you) looking to buy a home. Good luck (even if the refrigerator or toilet is missing)

Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,972,075 times
Remember to check your fridge for mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Yeah, I hear you. I make a point about how the O.P. has no clue what he's talking about and that half the things he says are false and all I get in response are childish comebacks. It really makes you wonder if some of these people are what they say they are or if they are some bored 12 year old that gets their kicks pissing people off..

Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 AM

let me see I have a law degree from the university of Greenwich with specialties in contract law and conveyancing. Once again you have judged someone without knowing them.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 AM

5,974 posts, read 3,061,598 times
Quote:
let me see I have a law degree from the university of Greenwich with specialties in contract law and conveyancing. Once again you have judged someone without knowing them.
Unless you have a bar license it means nothing to your clients, you are not able to give anyone legal advice.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 AM

the point you made was all realtors are uneducated which was a sweeping statement which was false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida