Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:18 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I DON'T CARE where it hits, you said blizzards kill more than hurricanes, that is MY point man.... And you contradicted yourself with the government preparedness and response, because you yourself said the same about the levees in New Orleans, bad planning and poor government preparedness.....????? I'm a bit confused by your arguement now.

All in all Heat and humidity do suck, so does freezing cold, and I am done with this pissing match. On to better topics now. Have a great day!

You don't care where it hits because it contradicts your assumptions and challenges yours (and others) assumptions that hurricanes are worse for personal safety than the weather in whatever Shangrila you come from or want to go to. The FACT is, however, that every year IN THE UNITED STATES, more or the same amount of peopel die in blizzard related accidents, freezing to death, etc., than die from hurricanes.

If you want to trot out Haitian and Cuban deaths to prove a point, fine. Lots of people die from mosquitos in Africa too, but it's not an issue in the United States.

And I didn't contradict myself on New Orleans. A Combination of a broken levy (ultimately a government created problem), and a local government that didn't take the storm seriously enough to coordinate an evacuation is to blame for the deaths. Florida actually has a very good hurricane response and evacuation system in place, because WE take storms seriously.

And you're done pissing for now. Before you go have more to drink that is. ;-)

Old 09-09-2008, 03:35 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,068 times
I thought the topic was about Florida's weather, How did Blizzards and Florida get into the same topic?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default February 10, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Blizzard Death Toll Hits 22 - US news | Newser: Know More. Search Less.

Five Denver deaths may be blizzard-connected - The Denver Post

Blizzard of 1999 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

January 1996:

Alabama--2 deaths, some roads closed by ice.
Arkansas--4 deaths.
Connecticut--4 deaths, 27 inches at Darien.
Delaware--4 deaths, 22 inches at New Castle, a record for January.
District of Columbia--Federal and local governments closed.
Georgia--1 death, up to 12 inches in mountains of northeastern Georgia.
Indiana--3 deaths, up to 9 inches in southern portion of state.
Kentucky--6 deaths, 28 inches at Pine Mountain.
Maine--no deaths reported, up to 12 inches of snow along coast.
Maryland--6 deaths, 33 inches at Frostburg.
Massachusetts--no deaths reported, 18 inches in Boston.
New Hampshire--no deaths reported, up to 17 inches in southwest portion of state.
New Jersey--4 deaths, 27.8 inches at Newark Airport.
New York--7 deaths, 27.5 inches in New York City on Staten Island, 20.2 inches in Central Park.
North Carolina--5 deaths, up to 30 inches in northern mountains.
Ohio--3 deaths, up to 18 inches in southeastern counties, 14.4 inches at Cincinnati.
Pennsylvania--80 deaths, 30.7 inches in Philadelphia.
Rhode Island--no deaths reported, 24 inches at Warwick.
South Carolina--2 deaths, 10 inches in mountains of Pickens County.
Tennessee--4 deaths, up to 30 inches in higher mountains.
Virginia--13 deaths, 47 inches in Shenandoah National Park.
West Virginia-- 6 deaths, 48 inches at Snowshoe--highest total for the storm.
Overall snowstorm death toll--154.

North American blizzard of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not from a newspaper, but my real life experience. That was exactly one year and a day before my daughter was born. We had 25 inches of snow in Queens. My brother-in-law's sister gave birth to her daughter on that day. YES, they got her to the hospital. It did NOT shut down the entire city. In fact, we still had our POWER and heat. Hurricane Gloria we DID lose power.

I came home from work in Manhattan to Queens. Yes, the subway was running, however the buses in Queens were running but over an hour delayed. I decided I did not want to just stand at a bus stop in a blizzard. By the time the bus got there, I could be home. I lived a mile and a half away from the subway stop. We KNEW we were going to get a lot of snow, so I went to work that day totally prepared with boots, down coat with hood, sweater, and heavy gloves. I walked that mile and a half in that blizzard. It took me about an hour. There were also a lot of other people walking too. Movement is better than just standing still. Yes, there was a lot of wind, but actually the temps aren't quite as cold with the snow. I can say I have lived with much colder weather than that was. I wrapped my scraf around the my face so only my eyes were showing.

I also had enough foresight to leave a shovel outside my front door before I went to work, just in case. When I did get home, I was able to shovel my way into the house. By the time my husband got home from work, and he too WALKED it home, I had turned up the heat a bit and made dinner. Basically, you just go with the flow.

Let me see. In just about 60 years, I have lived through many blizzards, ice storms, a couple of hurricanes, even a tornado as a kid visiting in Indiana. That is in addition to the 1965 and 1977(?) blackouts, and then, 9/11.

When you quote stats about people dying in NYC from blizzards, you do not mention WHO these people were. From what I can remember from my own recollection of newspaper articles, a lot of them were homeless people who had nowhere to go. Then there are a lot of people who live in city tenements, where the landlords don't give heat. I have heard of these people, and the elderly, who have frozen to death in their apartments because of lack of heat. They would include all these people in the stats of who died in a blizzard.

You know what? I would rather walk that mile and a half in that blizzard than spend ONE SINGLE DAY at a beach FRYING in the sun. That is no exaggeration.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:03 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,159 times
Ask TRImt7....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
I thought the topic was about Florida's weather, How did Blizzards and Florida get into the same topic?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,159 times
Whatever buddy... You are right about everything, I am dumb, I know nothing, Florida is the greatest place on earth, nowhere is better. New England is the worst. Blizzards are far more dangerous. Snow is the work of the devil. Heat and humidity rule!!! There ya go. I don't drink pal, don't assume what people do if you don't know them. Later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You don't care where it hits because it contradicts your assumptions and challenges yours (and others) assumptions that hurricanes are worse for personal safety than the weather in whatever Shangrila you come from or want to go to. The FACT is, however, that every year IN THE UNITED STATES, more or the same amount of peopel die in blizzard related accidents, freezing to death, etc., than die from hurricanes.

If you want to trot out Haitian and Cuban deaths to prove a point, fine. Lots of people die from mosquitos in Africa too, but it's not an issue in the United States.

And I didn't contradict myself on New Orleans. A Combination of a broken levy (ultimately a government created problem), and a local government that didn't take the storm seriously enough to coordinate an evacuation is to blame for the deaths. Florida actually has a very good hurricane response and evacuation system in place, because WE take storms seriously.

And you're done pissing for now. Before you go have more to drink that is. ;-)

Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Ask TRImt7....

Whats the matter? Have people not been following along the conversation?

Someone asked about hurricanes. I made an offhand remark that hurricanes kill less than blizzards each year, and SOMEONE (to remain nameless), took great offense, challenging me to back up my assertion, which I did.

THAT is how we got where we are.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
And who cares....
"Who cares?"

Lol, I am seriously done now. What next? You going to stomp into your room, slam the door and scream, "WHATEVER!" ??

Old 09-09-2008, 04:17 PM

893 posts, read 789,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
How could you guys live in Florida, or even in Southeastern U.S.?
It's SOOOO Hot and soo HUMID that I almost died when I visited Florida in august this year for three weeks!!
Even the rain is so bad... thunderstorm almost everyday, then sun, then clouds, then rain etc.
Well, OK the weather gets much better for few months, but it's still hot & humid for around 8 - 9 months... omg!
Well, many people would say that NJ has humid summers too... but at least we have many days with dryer air during the summer, 4 distinct seasons with pleasantly spring and fall, plus it's not 90's F every day and humidity is not 80 - 100%. A place where you can't walk outside without sweating is horrible.
Evidently you forgot the sun doesn't shine in the northeast in the winter. I can't wait to get back south. I'll take a little sweating over dark and dreary anyday.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:22 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,068 times
Wow this forum is off the chain today.....

Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,210,937 times
I smell yet ANOTHER closed Florida thread! C'mon ppl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida