U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,535 posts, read 5,312,549 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1077 View Post
I'd bet the house that if North Dakota had Florida's weather that a lot more people would live there. Mattias used poor judgement and visited Florida in August and most probaby visited the theme parks. Well, get this Mattias--the average temps on Siesta Key from Nov.-April are 76 for the high and 59 for the low! Hard to beat when you're shoveling or shivering. Sure it's hot half the year but 89/72--Siesta Key's May-Oct. high and lows--is better than snow and sleet IMO. The thing about Florida's warm weather is that you can still enjoy being outside for 60% of every 24 hours wearing shorts and t's and can excersize in comfort--just get up early and enjoy the evenings. I'll take Florida over the NE anytime.
That is one of the problems.... Do everything at dusk and dawn, the rest of the day is a waste here. SOME people like to spend the entire day outdoors hiking, or cycling... OR camping... Well we all know hiking is out the window, no mountains.

 
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Philly to Odessa
437 posts, read 840,220 times
Reputation: 149
I enjoy reading everyone's opinions on the forum and I read much more than I post (sometimes too lazy!) I get a good laugh every now and then and have learned so much. I always find it funny when the topic of the weather becomes a big issue here. I moved to Florida partly because of the weather and have not been disappointed. I don't think it's too hot, humid, or as the op said, "sucks." My family and I are out every day enjoying our surroundings. I do feel bad for those here who definitely don't want to be here. It must be so frustrating waiting for the opportunity to move. And it makes me feel even more blessed that I am not one of them.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Hope, AR
1,505 posts, read 1,970,061 times
Reputation: 240
It's a rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
So you use Tilex in the closets on your carpet? In dark places in the house? Under cabinets???? Sure...
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Parents moved me to FL, must escape!
72 posts, read 100,960 times
Reputation: 21
Visit my parents here in Florida and see if you can handle it without an air conditioner! Theirs broke, but none of the repairmen they called out were honest men. They gave up and bought fans, and a couple of those window units, because they're so much cheaper. Well, the fans blow hot air around the house, not helping much at all a lot of the time, and the window units have been running so often for the past few years that they're useless now.


I live with them, and the air makes us all feel lazy. It zaps our strength and we feel exhausted, with an occasional headache. It can be hard to sleep at times, and every single day the uncomfortable, oppressive air wakes me up. My only relief is a cold shower!
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,535 posts, read 5,312,549 times
Reputation: 1588
Oh that's great. LOL. All the apartment complexes I worked at we made people sign a mold addendum, meaning you MUST run your AC to reduce mold. They will love you if it starts to grow in there. Some places I worked for made people MOVE for that reason(not running the AC to stop mold growth). It's in the lease take a gander some time.

Ten Things You Should Know About Mold
  1. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
  2. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
  3. If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
  4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
  5. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60% ) to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.
  6. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
  7. Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
  8. Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
  9. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
  10. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
It's a rental.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,535 posts, read 5,312,549 times
Reputation: 1588
Yes, I agree with this post naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine View Post
Visit my parents here in Florida and see if you can handle it without an air conditioner! Theirs broke, but none of the repairmen they called out were honest men. They gave up and bought fans, and a couple of those window units, because they're so much cheaper. Well, the fans bow hot air around the house, not helping much at all a lot of the time, and the window units have been running so often for the past few years that they're useless now.


I live with them, and the air makes us all feel lazy. It zaps our strength and we feel exhausted, with an occasional headache. It can be hard to sleep at times, and every single day the uncomfortable, oppressive air wakes me up. My only relief is a cold shower!
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Hope, AR
1,505 posts, read 1,970,061 times
Reputation: 240
that's not a worry--as I mentioned, it's not growing here. I do use the AC, but not 24 hours a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
Oh that's great. LOL. All the apartment complexes I worked at we made people sign a mold addendum, meaning you MUST run your AC to reduce mold. They will love you if it starts to grow in there. Some places I worked for made people MOVE for that reason(not running the AC to stop mold growth). It's in the lease take a gander some time.



Ten Things You Should Know About Mold
  1. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
  2. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
  3. If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
  4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
  5. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60% ) to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.
  6. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
  7. Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
  8. Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
  9. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
  10. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,535 posts, read 5,312,549 times
Reputation: 1588
Just be careful with closet areas. It likes to grow there. I have seen some nasty mold issues down here. Where we had to move people out, then rip out all the drywall, have it remediated, then rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
that's not a worry--as I mentioned, it's not growing here. I do use the AC, but not 24 hours a day
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Hope, AR
1,505 posts, read 1,970,061 times
Reputation: 240
ok thanks, I'll check it out, although I don't think it's there. I gave you a rep point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
Just be careful with closet areas. It likes to grow there. I have seen some nasty mold issues down here. Where we had to move people out, then rip out all the drywall, have it remediated, then rebuild.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM
 
Location: O-Town
1,782 posts, read 4,572,938 times
Reputation: 454
I keep the A/C on 78 just enough to keep the humidity in check, couldn`t imagine having no A/C in the summer My Mobile home gets really hot unlike a house that cools off better.

The heat is like the cold you still need to go inside and get a break, But I don`t think Florida's weather sucks IMO.

I was stuck in the house more when it was cold up north then I do here when it`s hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top