U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,535 posts, read 5,551,828 times
Reputation: 1594
This is without a doubt one of the best posts I have seen yet, and spoken with true class, which is more than I can say for a few other people on here... You get rep points on this one... Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Why do people get so bent out of shape with others that don't like the FL humidity? Some like hot weather, some like cold. Why do those that like hot weather assume that EVERYONE does? I certainly can understand why someone wouldn't like cold weather, but warm-weather lovers don't seem to understand that many people like having 4 seasons and cold winter too.

And what's with all these comparisons to other extreme tropical climates to "prove" that FL isn't that hot? Guam? That's like saying "Come to Fargo, ND! It's not really that cold....when compared to the North Pole!"

Maybe that should be Florida's new marketing slogan: "Come to Florida....it's not as humid as the Amazon, Guam, or Vietnam!"

 
Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach - Flamingo Park
14,667 posts, read 15,924,940 times
Reputation: 6273
Florida has the meanest people, because we have the most tiresome whiners and malcontents of all the 50 states. It grates on you and could wear down Mother Teresa herself.

They've come here usually because they were dissatisfied with where they are from, so it's a natural, in born thing, I suppose. There's only so much "understanding" and "compassion" to go around, and many around here have spent it all long ago.
 
Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,535 posts, read 5,551,828 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
You went there during the worst month and stayed for a few weeks and now announce it is horrible? I lived in Guam where the moisture ran down the walls because it was so humid and we had to keep our eyeliner in the frig or it would melt. That was humid but you know what? I got used to it quickly (as did everyone else) and I never remember anyone complaining about the humidity. I lived there for 3 yrs so I had enough time to be "sick of it" if it was that horrible.

Go visit Guam for a few weeks and then you will know real humidity.

I've been to Florida during every season and rented houses for extended amounts of time and I would take Florida's "humidity" any day over Ohio's Winters.

Stay in NJ if that is what you enjoy. Florida sure doesn't need any more transplants that are whiners.
It sure doesn't, it already has enough rude, and obnoxious people in it... This type of post is another thing that makes this an ugly state to live in.

And WHO would live in Guam anyways?????
 
Old 09-12-2008, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Easthampton, MA
3,535 posts, read 5,551,828 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Florida has the meanest people, because we have the most tiresome whiners and malcontents of all the 50 states. It grates on you and could wear down Mother Teresa herself.

They've come here usually because they were dissatisfied with where they are from, so it's a natural, in born thing, I suppose. There's only so much "understanding" and "compassion" to go around, and many around here have spent it all long ago.
Must be a reason for that..... And maybe some people have fallen into hardships here, and things have gone really bad for them. Maybe posting on here is a way to express themselves. You have to look at people case by case, not just everyne as the same. I have more than just heat related reasons to leave Florida. Yet i get blasted for anything I say negative....
 
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Hope, AR
1,505 posts, read 2,031,513 times
Reputation: 240
Mattias also made another serious error in judgment, vacationing here right in the middle of hurricane season. It's lucky his trip wasn't cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1077 View Post
I'd bet the house that if North Dakota had Florida's weather that a lot more people would live there. Mattias used poor judgement and visited Florida in August and most probaby visited the theme parks. Well, get this Mattias--the average temps on Siesta Key from Nov.-April are 76 for the high and 59 for the low! Hard to beat when you're shoveling or shivering. Sure it's hot half the year but 89/72--Siesta Key's May-Oct. high and lows--is better than snow and sleet IMO. The thing about Florida's warm weather is that you can still enjoy being outside for 60% of every 24 hours wearing shorts and t's and can excersize in comfort--just get up early and enjoy the evenings. I'll take Florida over the NE anytime.
 
Old 09-12-2008, 07:56 AM
 
3,842 posts, read 6,694,787 times
Reputation: 3114
[quote=TriMT7;5234389]

They've come here usually because they were dissatisfied with where they are from, so it's a natural, in born thing, I suppose. [quote]

Your "supposing" a vast generalization.

I could "suppose" all Floridians (be it "native" yet no one is truly a native or transplants who appear to be beyond obnoxious in their stereotyping) are a bunch of self-righteous whiners, but I am above putting a blanket statement on people I have no clue about.

Not every single person who comes to FL is unhappy. Circumstances that you have no clue about nor should be privy to bring them to the state.

I could care less about the weather issue, it's the blanket statements of "you didn't do enough research" or "you are not happy anywhere" that are as ridiculous as ridiculous gets.
 
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 AM
 
Location: San Diego
17,250 posts, read 13,397,142 times
Reputation: 6082
How many days of straight sunshine does , say, mid Florida get? I'm looking to find an alternate to SD if it continues to be out of control expensive to live here.
 
Old 09-12-2008, 07:59 AM
 
3,842 posts, read 6,694,787 times
Reputation: 3114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1angrytaxpayer View Post
how many days of straight sunshine does , say, mid florida get? I'm looking to find an alternate to sd if it continues to be out of control expensive to live here.
365.
 
Old 09-12-2008, 08:03 AM
 
Location: San Diego
17,250 posts, read 13,397,142 times
Reputation: 6082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
365.
So you say it never rains? I'm looking at days where you can schedule an activity without fear of getting rained out, something like boating.
 
Old 09-12-2008, 08:05 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach - Flamingo Park
14,667 posts, read 15,924,940 times
Reputation: 6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804;

Your "supposing" a vast generalization.

I could "suppose" all Floridians (be it "native" yet no one is truly a native or transplants who appear to be beyond obnoxious in their stereotyping) are a bunch of self-righteous whiners, but I am above putting a blanket statement on people I have no clue about.

Not every single person who comes to FL is unhappy. Circumstances that you have no clue about nor should be privy to bring them to the state.

I could care less about the weather issue, it's the blanket statements of "you didn't do enough research" or "you are not happy anywhere" that are as ridiculous as ridiculous gets.

I think a more careful reading of the post you are referring to (and the part which you have left out of your own post), would have revealed that I was referring to our MALCONTENTS and WHINERS.... not everyone who comes to Florida is one of those. In fact, MOST are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top