U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is your status of trying to get a house in Central FL?
I have given up all hope. I will rent here forever! 2 9.09%
I have given up hope and will move out-of-state and buy my piece of teh Ameircan Dream. 6 27.27%
I have already moved out of FL because of home prices. 3 13.64%
I don't know what to do, desperate, need help and advice! 4 18.18%
High housing costs? Nah! FL is affordable state USA! 3 13.64%
I already have a house or I can afford the absurd prices. 9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:13 PM

155 posts, read 211,177 times

Advertisements

...I can see why.

This has been an interesting weekend. I was trying to help a co-worker/friend look for a house, because she has dial-up and I have cable. Anyway, I had no idea the market was still soooooo bad in Central Florida. Ragged down houses that are listed for $320,000 are worth at best $180,000 (if there were no speculators down here).

The $200,000 homes we were looking at are in the Poinciana / Kissimme / Northern Polk County areas. Why? Because you cannot find anything else in Central Florida (other than Pine Hills, Paramore, Dean Road, Semoran, etc) for that price. We drove down to see some of the houses. I had already alerted her due to the high number of Spanish last names of the realtors who list these houses, I warned her to expect to be a mosty Spanish neighborhoods. Within 5 minutes of pulling into the Poinciana neighborhood, we heard loud Salsa music blasting from a house. Tons of Puerto Rican, some Cuban and tons of Mexican flags covered the front porches. We stopped at house no. 1 (listed at $199,990). The realtor, who was plesant Spanish lady greeted us and we walked in. The walls were all purple, yellow, maroon, green, light blue, etc. The house was a small box (looked deceiving in the pics).

We left that neighborhood and went for house No.2 (selling for $195,000), this one in Kissimmee, but real close to Poinciana. Realtor was again, a different Spanish lady. The house smelled like sweat or midlew/mold. It was disgusting. Ok, we thought, it can be cleaned up and be ok. But then... ta-da! Here comes the owner with two pit bulls (unchained and growling like crazy). Holy crap!! We asked the realtor about this and she said lots of people in the Kissimmee/Poinciana areas have pit bulls on their backyards (she assumed my friend liked Pits - not sure why). Well, that makes me feel save.

House no. 3 (listed at $199,000) had this realtor who was definitelly not an American guy. He must have been Hindi or something, such a weird accent. The house was again, filled with all sorts of weird colors and smelled like Pinot beans. The neighborhood had a ton of rude kids tossing a ball on the street and not move. All the kids were yelling and playing in Spanish.

House no. 4... I won't even bother telling you the details. It is a tiny little 3/2 house listed for $205,000. This one has less than 1,100 sqt feet. The rooms are tiny boxes. We figured she couldn't even fit her computer desk in any of the rooms (I kid you not).

House No. 5 was in Polk County. This one would be a almost 2-hour commute to work everyday, but she was feeling desperate. Again, we felt like we were downtown Tijuana, Mexico. Loud Spanish music in two of the neighbors, dirty streets, some gang graffitti. Very comforting... house was "priced right" for $193,000... sure until you get shot in a drive-by.

In the end of the day, she was crying, called her mom really upset, wants to move back to OH, where she can buy a nice house for $100,000 in Northern KY and work in Cinci. As much as I would hate to live in OH... she is right, it's for the best!

I am not sure this if of any consolation to any of you, but you are one of hundreds of people I have met in person and on this board that simply CANNOT afford a house, no matter what. Not because they are poor, but because the tax/insurance/home prices combination keeps homes away from the MAJORITY of buyers.

I have seen and heard enough people despair over this situation, over and over again. Your life is like a car stuck in the mud - you spin the tires, but get nowhere. You try to save, but you spend a fortune on rent. gas, car insurance, food, etc, you end up with nothing and never have a hope of EVER buying your own little "neck of the woods".

It is sad, but it is real. No wonder you will hear tons of people telling you to move out of Florida ASAP. If you don't, there could be another housing price surge a few years down the road and the affordable houses you could buy in some other state: they will be out of your reach.... AGAIN!

Bets of luck to you all in your house hunts! You will certainly need it.

ML
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,536 times
Default To Mary Lou 2007

How about Davenport, FL? What is that area like? do you know? I was in the Poinciana area, they were offering nice homes, but very far and dark narrow road to get there. Kind of creepy.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:17 AM

442 posts, read 2,671,475 times
I live in the polk county side of Poinciana, my street is not dark there is no gang grafiti.
there are alot of spanish people yes thats true.. but thats alot of Central Florida now, you just have to deal with it, for the most part the Spanish are nice, its the young punk kids that have nothing to do that make it not so nice...
I know people that have moved out of st cloud to get away from the spanish. st cloud a town that is not very racailly diverse!....
the problem with Poinciana being dark is Avatar allowed all these builders to come in and build TONS of homes and they made them put up the Lights On big wooden poles..and the electrical wire hanging across the street...looks like garbage....
its all about GREED here In poinciana..I truely enjoy living here if it were'nt for the lack luster APV ( the "Govt" of poinciana)..i would stay...
Nothing is making me and my family leave except For the Do Nothing APV.. they control eveything and are dictated to by AVATAR...
there is nothing "master planned" about this community!...
I know that if someone that actually does some work instead of telling us what her JOB IS NOT , was in charge this would be a nice place to live!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:38 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,249,023 times
It is bound to happen sooner or later, an out-of-the-blue reminder that the froth or the boom or the disconnect between prices and fundamentals in the housing market would have a financial after-shock. Just hang in there.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:50 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,131,214 times
There is a new Del Webb going in 15 min from Disney World. The prices for the townhomes sound very affordable. Would this not be a nice retirement spot. We looked at Poinceana and had almost bought a piece of property to build on...so glad we passed on that one. Whew.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,907,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
It is bound to happen sooner or later, an out-of-the-blue reminder that the froth or the boom or the disconnect between prices and fundamentals in the housing market would have a financial after-shock. Just hang in there.
Agree with Firemed, just wait and will be worth your wait.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Let me tell you about a Central Florida East Coast secret called Palm Bay.

For 200k:

http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/brevardcounty/submit/large/057/450072a.jpg (broken link)

(4 bedrooms)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/brevardcounty/listings/large/022/455853a.jpg (broken link)

(3 bedrooms)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/brevardcounty/listings/large/098/453280a.jpg (broken link)

(3 bedrooms)

Affordability and development is creeping up the coastline. You have to know where to look for deals.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:37 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,907,475 times
TriMT7,

Great post and info. Research is KEY to achieving your goals....

Old 02-12-2007, 03:42 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
TriMT7,

Great post and info. Research is KEY to achieving your goals....

The word in points "down South" of Palm Bay is that it's the next "it" area, much like Port St. Lucie was for affordability and deals. The city has 100k residents and growing. People are fleeing further and further up the Coast Line from Broward, Miami, Palm Beach to find deals.

I think it's a lot of fun helping people find housing, etc. (which is why I've come to enjoy this forum).... if I thought I could make a decent living these days out of it I'd love to be a buyer's agent!! Because I don't think I'd be able to, I've got to stick to America's second most hated profession (behind realtors), law!!

Old 02-13-2007, 03:34 AM

1,305 posts, read 4,931,176 times
One of the interesting things about Palm Bay is that the area was started by the same developer as Port St. Lucie, Port Charlotte, North Port and Port LaBelle. It was originally called Port Malabar (the developer had a thing about using "Port" in all of its communities' names). Therefore, the layout is much the same (10,000 square feet lots, mostly single family). All of the communities have grown up with about the same demographics -- middle class, integrated, originally retirement-oriented and now mostly younger folks with families. In every community there are so many building lots that land prices have stayed affordable, making the overall housing picture much more affordable than other areas. None of the communities have ever had a chance to develop undesirable areas, and all are too new to have "slums".

There are good, solid reasons why these areas and others like them (primarily Cape Coral) are growing faster than any other area of the state and often the nation (with the exception of Port LaBelle, which is a bit too isolated).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or