Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 24,628 times

Advertisements

I can't believe you folks "just deal with it" ... these photos and stories about the BUGS are freaking me out!! It's so disgusting to see that pic of that (tiny) dead roach, I cannot imagine how I could smash a giant Palmetto bug, AND ... avoid it as it "flies" towards my face, hair, etc. Oh-My-Goodness!
Yuck, Yuk, Yukk!! You're really helping make the decision against moving back home ... how can you sleep at night knowing those things are everywhere in "Tropical Florida"!! YIKES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verenice1 View Post
I can't believe you folks "just deal with it" ... these photos and stories about the BUGS are freaking me out!! It's so disgusting to see that pic of that (tiny) dead roach, I cannot imagine how I could smash a giant Palmetto bug, AND ... avoid it as it "flies" towards my face, hair, etc. Oh-My-Goodness!
Yuck, Yuk, Yukk!! You're really helping make the decision against moving back home ... how can you sleep at night knowing those things are everywhere in "Tropical Florida"!! YIKES!
When I was in Tampa, Palmetto bugs were bad. Not that they creeped me out or anything. But I rise early and they kept rearranging my furniture and when I walked out in the living room in the dark, I'd trip over stuff that wasn't there when I went to bed. I think they did that so they'd know I was coming.

I saw one on my counter one afternoon so I grabbed the fly swatter and took a swing. He took it away from me. Good thing the front door was unlocked, I was able to get out with only a few welts.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 AM

155 posts, read 284,942 times
Odds on, if you live in South or Central Florida, you have already encountered a Palmetto Bug or two. What are they? Simply stated, a Cockroach. But not your ordinary run of the mill cockroach. No, they are nothing like the cute little creepy crawlies you see in Orkin commercials.

For one thing, Palmetto Bugs tend to be HUGE. I'm not kidding when I say that I have seen them grow to three inches or more. You may think cockroaches are gross, but the experience is much more vivid when all the gory details are magnified. As if that wasn't enough, Palmetto Bugs can fly! Yes, fly. You have never been creeped out, until you see a three inch roach fly up and land on the table next to you. And it gets worse, Palmetto Bugs aren't afraid of the light. You're just as likely to encounter one during the day as at night. The last little detail to distinguish the Palmetto Bug from your average cockroach is that they are armored. Step on one and you're lucky if you get its attention. You don't even get the pleasure of squishing one.

The worst thing about bugs in having them fly on your face. The Palmetto bugs do that! YUCK!

http://www.dailyheights.com/image/palmetto%20bug%20-%20actionpest.com.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-09-2007, 07:03 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verenice1 View Post
They freak me out, too, and I've lived here 40+ years! I've had a palmetto land on me on occasion, but it's not as though we spend our days and nights in a battleground. Some homes seem to have them worse than others. I've been in my place three years and still have the can of bug spray that I bought when I moved in and I have no pest control service.

Several years ago I woke up at night hearing one chewing on papers on my desk. Really. It's a very faint sound, but I must be attuned to it because of my repulsion, as I'm a heavy sleeper. Maybe it's like you can hear your baby begin to stir, but sleep right through having the tv on all night.

One time we lived in a buggy apartment and a roach woke me up when it was on my arm. I freaked and my husband was picking up the matress and box springs looking for it!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:44 PM

134 posts, read 600,916 times
Pest control in south florida is always figured into my budget. I would NEVER
consider living anyplace without it.
And yes, it is amazing how one can become attuned to that faint sound.
I grew up with all those species, on a tiny island. Somehow tho I can be in a cabina in the middle of a rain forest and not feel freaked. Perhaps it is the feeling of being"trapped " indoors with one. If one gets in my classroom the kids have to kill it. EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW

Old 02-09-2007, 10:06 PM

30 posts, read 212,479 times
Bugs are a year-round problem in FL. While fire ants and mosquitoes are a pain, at least they stay outside for the most part. The worst is during the summer when it rains a lot and you get more palmetto bugs in the house. They come out at night and during the day and they can smell fear. You haven't lived until you have gotten in the shower and realized you are not alone, or you are sitting on your couch minding your own business and one falls off the ceiling and lands on you. And then you can't rest until you tear the couch apart and find it, because if you don't it will find you. But seriously, you should definately plan for pest control in your budget if you are going to live in Florida!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 AM

70 posts, read 354,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou2007 View Post
We spend about $300/month to keep our home bug-free for the most part. That is for indoor pests only. It is expsnive, but I'd pay $1,000 a month if I had to, but you NEED pest control down here, there are tons of bugs!

We spray the outside of every door in the house that connects to the outside every 2 weeks (it is calendared, we always do it). We spray Bengal (one of the best stuff in my humble opinion) under every cabinet every 2 weeks, unless the pest control guy is here that week. We also constantly spray behind the stove, behind washer and dryer and etc bi-weekly.

http://www.bengal.com/images/roach2.jpg (broken link)

It is very hard to keep the house bug-free. It is very wet and bugs can get in through tiny cracks or around pipes or etc. Bug-wise (specially cockroaches), Florida is infested. Worse than CT or CO. Fleas are bad too, so Dog owners, take heed. I have a cat, so no worries there.

I just killed one last night in my bathtub/shower. I think it came from the drain.

This roach thing sucks.
What can you do to prevent some of it. Some people were saying to keep bushes and trees away from the house and try to build a cement walk way around the house so the grass is not right up against it. Is this true, can I keep my house bug free?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:09 PM

42 posts, read 254,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
When I was in Tampa, Palmetto bugs were bad. Not that they creeped me out or anything. But I rise early and they kept rearranging my furniture and when I walked out in the living room in the dark, I'd trip over stuff that wasn't there when I went to bed. I think they did that so they'd know I was coming.

I saw one on my counter one afternoon so I grabbed the fly swatter and took a swing. He took it away from me. Good thing the front door was unlocked, I was able to get out with only a few welts.
LOL! I'd have to say that for the spiders here.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:16 PM

42 posts, read 254,383 times
I've lived in several different areas of Florida. We're currently in Central FL. I can't stand bugs especially spiders but you do tend to get used to most of them. Now, I'll never in my life get used to wolf spiders and the like but most of the rest...eh, what can you do?

I've found there to be less bugs in the city areas and more the further out you go. You'll have more near freshwater and woods.

You can treat for them but they still come back. Many fly in and the bug spray won't help with that. Same for spiders. It's very hard to get rid of them without swatting them. (Ask me how I know. ) Spray just doesn't work for spiders b/c they don't lick themselves.

Hey, you'll acclimate.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 20,638 times
Talking Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
A while back I moved from Wyoming to Tampa and brought my dog along. Had the same problem. Tried everything they had in the pet store. Nothing helped. Finally when I took her into the vet for shots, I asked him. The vets down there have a really good stuff and I can't remember the name of it. Worked like a champ. Little tubes that you apply a drop by the tail, and then a drop about every 4 or 5 inches going right up the spine. Excellent, within a month her hair had filled in nicely.

Sand Fleas is the problem. Most times, you can't even see them. But that stuff works.

Just stop at a vets office and ask what they recommend. They'll fix you up and they won't charge you for a visit unless you bring the dogs. haha
I got some sponge on treatment from Petsmart- seems to be working. I heard that giving garlic tabs also helps-ever heard of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida