U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM

200 posts, read 793,747 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh! I hate roaches! I was born/raised in S FL but I am horrified of all roaches...little ones on up to the palmetto bugs! I had constant nightmares as a child about them. I had to have an extermination service come quarterly at my last home. Once they started spraying I never saw anything in the house..ever. I will not live with roaches. So far, in the 1 year we have had this house, I haven't had to have a service. I do spray the yard and house myself but I think it helps that we don't any bushes/trees next to the house. My last house had major landscaping. I think the roaches lived in those bushes and would wait for the opportunity to sneak in. I put off landscaping around this house because of the fear we will increase our chances of them starting to come in. I would just freak out! I don't mind spiders, frogs, lizards..they are the good guys that eat the nasty roaches. Also, I think they love living in oak trees..many time I have parked under them and then seen roaches on my vehicle..One yime I had just unparked from a tree and was driving down the road and decided to open my moon roof..I felt something "land" on my arm and was mortified to look down to see a palmetto bug!!!! I freaked out and almost got in a wreck. I have never ever again opened my moon roof since that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 AM

ABOUT MOSQUITOS: They will make your life miserable. If you live in an area w/out mosquito control the best thing to do is have bats on your property. My last house had many bats living in the palm trees. I never had a mosquito problem. We put up a bat house here..can fit up to 300 bats (we have 5 acres). We are hoping they find it and move in before rainy season. They eat like 1,000 mosquitos/min or something like that. I don't know why people are scared of them either. They fly out at dusk to eat insects and they never swoop down on you or anything crazy like that. You hardly even notice them. They are a natural pest control. They are not human blood sucking vampires.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:51 AM

13,371 posts, read 39,995,340 times
I love bats; that kind of mosquito control is far preferable to those awful pesticide-spewing trucks.
I am so glad to be living in a place where bats live; I used to see them in Denver but then they gradually disappeared.
Other than a few large spiders, I really haven't had any major insect freak-outs here. <knocks on wood> The yellow flies were certainly nasty, but they didn't hang around.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Oh yea, I remember the first time I saw Lee County Mosquito control using the planes..I thought we were under attack from some foreign nation or something. Like 3 planes in a row flying in formation and spraying. Man, I thought we was all dead that day.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:50 PM

489 posts, read 1,823,756 times
I grew up in Chicagoland and moved down to St. Petersburg where I lived for five years. I lived in 3 different apartments during that time and never knew what a cockroach looked like. No problems at all ever.

THEN, I moved to Ft. Myers, and it was "lesson time". There are cockroaches in peoples' homes here, and it seems to be commonplace and an accepted problem. However, I got a bad infestation from my first apartment here - that was with monthly extermination - and it got so out-of-hand that I lost all of my furniture. They were in all of the drawers, any crevices, cracks in furniture, and the like. I had to throw out books, magazines, and rooms of furniture due to the infestation and the terrible odor that they made by being there. These roaches also left "stains" and residue on things. I quickly learned that the northern idea that I previously held (that only "dirty" people get or have bugs) is not true. There are different kinds of cockroaches, and the ones that invaded my home lived on wood, paper, and that type of organic material. It was DISGUSTING, beyond words. In any event, it was a TERRIBLE and unexpected surprise.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:15 PM

232 posts, read 798,171 times
SouthFloridaNative...LOL...Im with you. palmetto bugs/roaches are the worst insects ever!!!!! I can handle spiders,ants,snakes,rats,mice almost anything EXCEPT the above. Just the thought of them gives me goosebumps!

Oh maggots and millworms also creep me out, but that is pretty much it.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 PM

88 posts, read 237,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I'm assuming, due to the climate, that bugs are pretty much an all year thing in Florida. Let's say we're talking about central inland Florida. Would the bugs be there all year? I would think so. If your apartment/home is exterminated quarterly and you use storebought bug spray, will that eliminate (at least about 90% anyway) the problem?

Should I avoid Florida purely because of bugs? I know in summer here, where it's almost as hot as Florida, the bugs pretty much stay away with just storebought spray (we don't exterminate this house...mother's choice). Would extermination plus storebought spray mostly keep the bugs out in Florida, or are they just rampant?

BTW: Lizards, frogs, whatever don't bother me as much. I'm talking pure insects like roaches, spiders, etc.

I like the sound of Florida - I worry about the bugs though!

I have to say, this has been the same question I've been wanting to ask! Even though i'm a guy...I hate insects!! No probs with lizards, frogs etc. Anyway, this post was helpful beings that it looks like im going to be relocating. Thanks!!

Old 02-23-2007, 05:29 PM

88 posts, read 237,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
When I was in Tampa, Palmetto bugs were bad. Not that they creeped me out or anything. But I rise early and they kept rearranging my furniture and when I walked out in the living room in the dark, I'd trip over stuff that wasn't there when I went to bed. I think they did that so they'd know I was coming.

I saw one on my counter one afternoon so I grabbed the fly swatter and took a swing. He took it away from me. Good thing the front door was unlocked, I was able to get out with only a few welts.

Hilarious!!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:07 PM

134 posts, read 547,082 times
NOTHING is as freaky as cockroaches, palmetto bugs, or related. My biggest fear is that thing of driving down the freeway and have one sneak out on me I would have a severe anxiety attack and near collision. I make sure i close my car windows. I also have also shunned away from landscape near the house. I grew up in a house on an island and my parents thought nothing of them for years!!!!!!!I went into my classroom bathroom the other morning and thought one jumped on me, and flew out the door. the kids were laughing so hard! Hilarious. It was a gecko which was fine for me and fun for them. WHEW!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:30 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,838,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I love bats; that kind of mosquito control is far preferable to those awful pesticide-spewing trucks.
I am so glad to be living in a place where bats live; I used to see them in Denver but then they gradually disappeared.
Other than a few large spiders, I really haven't had any major insect freak-outs here. <knocks on wood> The yellow flies were certainly nasty, but they didn't hang around.
Cil,

Check the following: http://www.floridabats.org/imagesSpecies/EPFU-JLG.jpg

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or