Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlady View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREG EVENSON
"Political Correctness is the cloak that protects evil. And remember that Truth is hate to those who hate the Truth.
save america plant an appleseed

http://rwva.blogspot.com/2005/04/appleseed-program-help-us-save-america.html (broken link)
HUHHHHHHH (not enough characters) ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
Smile CobraKen

I'm in Meriden - yuck!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 PM

155 posts, read 284,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I have been wanting to move to FL since I was a teenager. Never did for many reasons. Well, I've gone back and forth as to where I'd like to live and always end up with FL. I know there are many issues in FL (weather, salaries, etc.) but I still do want to move there and I'm ready. I was reading the post on Melbourne/Palm Bay and it seems like Melbourne is decent. I want to be somewhere affordable (Ft. Lauderdale would be nice, but too expensive for me I think). I'm 30, single, a secretary but would like to go to school for medical related field (biller/coder). Would Melbourne be a good area for someone like me? Of course safety/crime is a big factor and I'd like to be where I can walk places (I do have a car though), near the beach would be nice, but doesn't have to be on it. Any thoughts, ideas would be great. Also, what's the best way to get a job from long distance, considering I would need the time to give notice here and then actually move? Do you actually tell a company you're not available for a month (or more)? Thanks.
So you KNOWINGLY that there is a crime/weather/salary problems, you STILL want to move?!? Wow, talk about determination!!

Honestly, getting a job from out-of-state is VERY very hard. It took me almost 6 months to find a company that actually called me back, as they see an out-of-state address and they just file my resume in the trash. Most companies do not think you are a "serious candidate" unless you are local. Too many "I will move if I get this job" candidates never move once they find out what it costs to live here.

Secretary?! Wow... I saw some jobs at the Orlando Sentinel this week. They will start you off at like $10.00/h. THAT will be plenty to pay $1,000 in rent for a small apt.

Well, at least you KNOW about the issues, but you ignore them. Come back here and tell us of your demise after you move. I fell kinda bad for you.....

Proverbs 27:12

" The prudent see danger and take refuge,
but the simple keep going and suffer for it. "

Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I have to agree with MaryLou here about the out-of-state job application. If someone is a degreed or licensed professional, being out of state is not a problem, but secretarial applicants are WAY more plentiful from people already here, and you will have no chance. You will have to come here first, then find a job.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:58 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Default If temping, try Kelly

I went back to work in 2004...after fifteen years of not "working"...(built house, had kids, got divorced, etc...).

I'm now 44, do have a college degree & have lived in FL since 1992.

I went to Kelly Services in my town, they found me a job with the firm I'm with now...I started at 10.50/hr & I type 75 wpm....I was hired on at my firm and almost three years later, I'm making 13.75......which to my understanding, is pretty good for FL. But it barely keeps me afloat without the help of my boyfriend.

You can figure your rent at least $700/mo. if you have your own place...then add in your cable, electric, water, phone...gas & food...my cars paid for so no car payment but don't forget car insurance as well which is higher depending on the city you're in....

Secretaries are a dime a dozen basically, unless, like another poster said, you have a speciality...it would help to be in a "major" FL city...Ft. Lauderdale is huge & although it might be tough, there should be a lot of opportunity to get your foot in the door somewhere...I got into property mgt and will be taking the CAM (Community Association Mgt) course this month to further my opportunity for advancement in this field...you have to distinguish yourself from the rest down here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida