U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:44 AM

1,556 posts, read 2,659,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
won't you miss some of the Spanish foods we were talking about the other day?
Yeah, I've never been able to find Cuban coffee or Cuban sandwiches outside of Miami that tasted quite the same. Also key lime pie outside of Key West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:57 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,557,122 times
Hey Gypsychic,
A lot of the places up there are Portugese restaurants, or Puerto Rican restaurants, we have a lot of bakeries, Italian restaurants, Irish pubs. And most of all lots of seafood places. i have never been to a Cuban restaurant. Mexican food is great if you find a good place. We have those up there too. Huge in MA is Chinese food. It is all over the place. New York style too, the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hey, BacktoMa4Good - won't you miss some of the Spanish foods we were talking about the other day? Or do they have the authentic stuff up there? My sis moved to Wisconsin years and years ago ( yes, she LOVES the cold! lol) and that's what she misses most - they just don't have it up there. Stuff like the good Cuban coffee, empanadas, good arroz con pollo, "ropa vieja" (mmmmmm!) and of course those yummy deviled crabs! Of course, I don't know how much of that you have down in Cape Coral. All the places I've lived I've had plenty, especially Tampa, but Sarasota has some of the best eating anywhere I have been, hands down. It even beats Asheville, IMO, which has become somewhat of a "dining destination."

Wow, I better stop thinking about food, it's early in the a.m. and I've just had breakfast and don't want to be hungry anytime soon - all this good food is making me a chubby "gypsy!" lol

Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,416,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Even in Jacksonville there are plenty of pizza places open lunch to late where the owners are from brooklyn or queens or other parts of the new york metro, i can find just about everything on this post without much difficulty except extremely fresh "NY style" bagels,

Oh no, no, no....please, NOTHING outside of NY is the true NY style. My family went to this bagel store in north Naples that was supposed to be NY style. I avoided even getting it because I knew they weren't going to be close. My parents said they were disgusting and nothing like them. It's the water up here in the NYC area that makes the food. You may be from NY and make it somewhere else, but it still won't be the same without the water we use and certain ingredients you can easily get in NY. I've traveled all over and "NY style" is nothing like it really is here.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,018,026 times
Default Onion bagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Oh no, no, no....please, NOTHING outside of NY is the true NY style. My family went to this bagel store in north Naples that was supposed to be NY style. I avoided even getting it because I knew they weren't going to be close. My parents said they were disgusting and nothing like them. It's the water up here in the NYC area that makes the food. You may be from NY and make it somewhere else, but it still won't be the same without the water we use and certain ingredients you can easily get in NY. I've traveled all over and "NY style" is nothing like it really is here.
They sell onion bagels with the onion INSIDE the dough. Not pieces either. Just flavored onion bagels.

I can get FROZEN onion bagels with the chopped onion on the outside. That's pretty bad when frozen is better.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:02 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,710,212 times
Thats probably why it`s called "NY style" because it`s not exactly the same.

My wife is from Michigan and she boasts about the coney dogs there and we have a place downtown she says is very close but still not the same.

But we will take close because flying up north every time we want coney's or pizza is not doable.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:05 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,416,037 times
True, certain ethnic foods will not be the same no matter where you go. For instance, I loooove Philadelphia cheesesteaks. There's a place in midtown Manhattan that makes just cheesesteaks. It's good, and just a little like it is in Philadelphia, but it isn't the "real" Philly cheesesteaks. Same thing with NY and bagels/pizza.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM

1,505 posts, read 2,032,819 times
I've never tried those. Mmm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
They sell onion bagels with the onion INSIDE the dough.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Default I am sure you would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I've never tried those. Mmm good.
since they apparently are Naples bagles, not New York bagels, or even Miami bagels. THEY put the onions outside.

Did your husband get hired back by the county yet?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM

1,505 posts, read 2,032,819 times
I'm open-minded, I'm willing to believe that maybe they've found a better way to make them in Naples. Crunchy onions on teh inside sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
since they apparently are Naples bagles, not New York bagels, or even Miami bagels. THEY put the onions outside.

Did your husband get hired back by the county yet?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Default There is nothing inside them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I'm open-minded, I'm willing to believe that maybe they've found a better way to make them in Naples. Crunchy onions on teh inside sounds good.
They are onion FLAVORED, as in onion power/juice. It is like eating chocolate chip cookies with imitation chocolate. It's FAKE chocolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida