U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,259,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
This might be a dumb question, but can you get calzones in central Florida?
DJ made me think of that.

Here in NY, I live in a small city with about 15,000 people. We have about a dozen pizza places....we actually used to have even more.

Another food that I CANNOT get here in western NY, is Taylor Ham, also known as pork roll. It is a N.J. deli meat, but i'm told I CAN get it in Florida.

Also up here we have dunkin donuts and Tim Horton's all over. There does not seem like there is too many DD's in Florida, and of course, NO Tim Horton's.

Frank D.
Oscar Myer? Taylor Ham does come packed in supermarkets in the section with the bacon. I haven't had that in a very long time. We used to fry it and then eat it on toasted bread with mustard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,700,584 times
Quote:
Yes you can, I get them here Giovanni Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria

Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,821,370 times
Quote:

Here in NY, I live in a small city with about 15,000 people. We have about a dozen pizza places....we actually used to have even more.

Another food that I CANNOT get here in western NY, is Taylor Ham, also known as pork roll. It is a N.J. deli meat, but i'm told I CAN get it in Florida.

Also up here we have dunkin donuts and Tim Horton's all over. There does not seem like there is too many DD's in Florida, and of course, NO Tim Horton's.

Frank D.
Mmmm, Tim Horton's. When I went to college in Maine, I loved going there. They're so much better than Dunkin Donuts. The donuts and especially the hot apple cider are to die for. I loved cold nights in Maine and going to Tim Horton's for hot apple cider.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,810,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I doubt it's anything like it is in NY. I've had pizza in Orlando and it was disgusting. I've had "NY style" pizza in so many places in the country and it's nothing like it.

Well I think it`s good and Being from Rhode Island I guess we have no real NY pizza there either so don`t matter to me it`s good.

Not only that I have some friends from New York that can vouch for some places in Orlando that are very good NY style and not disgusting.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:19 PM

14,729 posts, read 16,489,855 times
When my family moved from New Jersey, we had to give up Portuguese rolls and Sumol, a Portuguese soda-like beverage that was my favorite as a kid.

Every now and then a "Latin" grocer will carry both items, and I think the Albertsons near my mom's house now carries Portuguese rolls, but they are definitely not the same.

On he other hand, we can get authentic Cuban style food here just fine, and as for pizza, plenty of New York Italians living around here to make it just as they did up North. Of course, it's not THE SAME SAME, but good enough.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:30 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,407,839 times
I'm with Markhunt - I miss Pepe's in New Haven and Max Amore's in Glastonbury.

I also miss fresh whole belly clams and Maine lobsters, malt vinegar with your fries, the Italian bakeries in south end of Hartford, and fried dough with tomato sauce - like the ones you get at an Italian Fest.

Supermarkets in Florida do not have hot dog buns that have cut sides - ya know, the ones where you can grill them. They only carry the ones where the outsides are like the ends of bread.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 PM

332 posts, read 1,076,908 times
Affordable fruits and vegetables.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:37 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,745,015 times
Sunrico, we have a sals in Cape Coral, and it's pretty darn close to perfecr pizza. Sal the owner is from Boston...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
We have a very good pizzeria called Sal's and their pie is as good as the ones that I used to buy back on the 70 in the Bronx... We get together every Thursday night and we enjoy the food and spirits....

Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 PM

1,505 posts, read 2,083,823 times
I miss Walgreen's -- oh wait, we have that here too.

I guess I don't missing anything.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 AM

5,973 posts, read 3,700,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I miss Walgreen's -- oh wait, we have that here too.

I guess I don't missing anything.
I have never supported so many chain buisnesses as I do here in Florida. Florida, especially Orlando must be the chain store capital of the world. You ask anybody to recommend a good restauarant and 9 out of 10 times they will recommend a chain restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida