Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,744,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Crime can be a deceptive figure. When you have a small population just a few crimes can move the numbers. One murder in a town of a thousand will look like killing field statistically. Also your personal habits will dictate a lot of whether you are a posable victim. In other words, if a hitchhiker is killed, although the killings took place since you don't hitchhike you are probably are not very likely to he a target. As well as many crimes are domestic and although they contribute to the numbers would not effect your well being personally.

I know I always complain about the crime in Fort Lauderdale but truth is, few are actually victims if they exercise common sense habits. Not to say anyone can't be a victim no matter where they live. If you watch the movies though, it would seem to be more frightening living rural then in the big city. You always get the image off the inbreeds with their trashed properties, guns, trucks, dogs and so on. IE "Texas chain saw Massacre". You know, that was loosely based on a true story about a guy named Ed Gein. (Google him) They made a movie about him and you watch that movie and you would never want to live in a rural quiet area. You would be afraid to go to sleep at night.
Ill take my chance living in a small town. Singer John Mellencamp thinks so too !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,728,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Ill take my chance living in a small town. Singer John Mellencamp thinks so too !
Do you have any nutty neighbors? You know, they start fires on the property, you hear noises in the night you have no idea what that was, they like to shoot guns in the back yard, I have to admit I do that myself in Fort Lauderdale. I think the rural perception of inbreed nut cases is far from true but a lot of people do believe it. Any mention of rural living has most city people hearing banjos.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Do you have any nutty neighbors? You know, they start fires on the property, you hear noises in the night you have no idea what that was, they like to shoot guns in the back yard, I have to admit I do that myself in Fort Lauderdale. I think the rural perception of inbreed nut cases is far from true but a lot of people do believe it. Any mention of rural living has most city people hearing banjos.
Well, the norm for me living in the woods...is hearing my next door neighbor who lives some 300 yards away thru the woods, getting drunk every friday night and singing cowboy songs loudly. When he gets cranked up, I like to sit on the back deck for entertainment while i take in the stars -- hes got a good country singing voice actually. Other than that, Im the one who starts bonfires on my property but away from trees ... you can do that legally where im at . All my life, i lived around concrete and noise so im delighted to be in the woods now.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,728,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Well, the norm for me living in the woods...is hearing my next door neighbor who lives some 300 yards away thru the woods, getting drunk every friday night and singing cowboy songs loudly. When he gets cranked up, I like to sit on the back deck for entertainment while i take in the stars -- hes got a good country singing voice actually. Other than that, Im the one who starts bonfires on my property but away from trees ... you can do that legally where im at . All my life, i lived around concrete and noise so im delighted to be in the woods now.
That guy with his singing I would bet can be counted on much more then the neighbor you have in the city who wares a suit and drives his BMW. I have personal experience. I grew up in south Florida from when it was small towns. My neighbors had their air boats and would butcher hogs in the back yard they killed in the glades. They could be classified as rednecks but I will take them over a stereotype New York type slicker. They are loyal friends who will give you the shirt off their backs while the others will steal the shirt off your back.
I used to do a lot of traveling in my RV and was often in small towns and always treated great. Sometimes you would be eating in an off the beaten path diner where they never see a new face and these people can't be nicer. They are genuine, what ever you take that to mean. I been broke down and had complete strangers go so far out of their way to help you didn't know what to say. They are a throw back to a different time when people cared about their neighbors.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Big ten-four on that.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 AM

18,031 posts, read 11,689,157 times
Another on-going discussion "Perry, FL"

Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,213 times
No place is perfect. I am from Perry, grew up there and moved away many years ago. I still go back often as I have family there. I live in another Florida city where the schools are not perfect, drugs are rampant, parents don't discipline or help educate their children. There are robberies, murders, rapes, home invasions, etc. in my city. It is just a sign of the times!! The real problem in Perry is that there too many uneducated people. (Not everyone, of course) They are narrow minded, opinionated and resist change. If only they could learn something useful, become enlightened, read a book and better themselves, drugs would not be the focus of their lives. There is always an element of society that will always function as a sub-culture. If you look at history, every great nation and culture had citizens who did not function at a very high level. The good and intelligent people of Perry will have to be very determined to help raise the others. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,938 times
Exclamation Reply to macguy

Uhm I have lived in perry a longggg time and there are plenty of high crime rates everywhere perry jus happens to be one of those places if you look up new york or alabama they will have crime rates just the same... There is this thing called a gang every state has em and they cause crime rates to get higher.... If you get hurt or your kid gets hurt that is your fault either you need to protect them or dont make those certain people mad. Children are safe wherever they are if their parents make sure of it...the school is safe and the drugs in perry have reduced since ive been here...If you are thinkin of the crime rate as long as your not a criminal its not your problem the worst thing in perry anyone will steal from is in walmart...! and I.E. no they werent i know basically everyone in perry and its a nice community if someone dies its bc they werent paying attention while they were driving and that happens everywhere too.... Learn your facts....

Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,938 times
Exclamation Living there isnt that bad as long as you know how to make a living...

My mom had great jobs there all her life they can always use more firefighters,policeman,ems, emergency managers, and more.... Theres plenty to do in perry there is the beach, skating ring, tallahassee, sports, horse shows, and your kids would have school and those sports to keep them busy. Football (if you enjoy it) Perry has gone undefeated before and those games are awesome and so much fun to go to... !! There are jobs around perry too.. Jus bc ur house is in perry doesnt mean that you have to work there... My mom works in monticello while we live in perry. The schools are getting better and if you dont agree send your kid to aucilla christian academy...Everything is there in smaller portions and the drive to tally is a fun thing to do...an hour or not it keeps u busy and its not as long as you think... Moving to perry wouldnt be a bad thing at all...

Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 AM

6 posts, read 29,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc99 View Post
Whoever it was that left the quote about Perry is totally wrong. It is a great place to live and work. It has the smaller town feeling and yes you have to drive to Tallahassee to shop at a big mall, but really, I am 43, have lived here since 1984 and am proud to be a Taylor countian! I leave my door unlocked although there are large dogs there, I know pretty much everybody, run to the store in my PJ's and everybody waves on my way! Doesn't get much better than that!!!
Wow ! Get your head out of the sand. It get's way better than that. It aint crap to do in Perry! And yeah you leave your doors open if you live 15 miles outside the city limits where is just you and grannie living on a privte road. We stop leaving our doors open in the mid 80's. But anyway, as I said, I was raised there. Reached adulthood there and moved away. Have since moved back and it was like going BACK in time, (had to leave) that place is still segregated. And You should not have to Drive to Tallahassee to by a pair shoes or buy a decent meal. But i understand if you've lived a shelter life in Perry and then that's all you know. If you've never experienced that there is more to living, then you don't know. I have families member that have never left and they feel the same way. They are afraid to leave Perry to even visit the city. But anyway I would hope anybody considering moving to Perry would go visit before moving there lock, stock, and barrel. Of course you are familar with that country term i know.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida