U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:27 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,938,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I like Atlanta a lot, thats why its on the short list for us, the only thing that holds me back from move there is it's not near the ocean. If Atlanta was on the coast I would move there in a heart beat. But if it was on the coast then, it probably wouldn't be what it is today.
You could then be on the ocean. The weather probably isn't that much different from Atlanta. I know Atlanta gets snow too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,649,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Besides missing the 4 seasons, my daughters are in NY. One comes down quite frequently to visit us, but she is getting married next year and I know that will make a significant difference. My older daughter is struggling financially and cannot afford to visit here. We paid for her ticket the first and last time she came. Yes, we can go up there, but it is very expensive for two people to fly. My husband drove up in the summer. I am flying up in October. We are both going up for Thanksgiving, but he won an all expenses paid trip from work which we are using.

This is why I just wished he had gotten a job anywhere up North. It would still be within driving distance to my daughters. Anywhere in New England would have been fine, along with NJ or Pa. It's just plain too far and too hot in Florida.

My boss's son was born and raised in Florida. His Dad has said when his father passes and he can retire, he is moving back to NY. I spoke to his son and asked him what he will do. He told me that once his Grandpa is gone and his Dad moves back, there will be nothing left for him in Florida. He will move back with his Dad. All this Aunts and Uncles, who were also raised here, have long since moved back. I suppose if a son or daughter, who was born and raised here, meets someone, marries, and starts a family here, they might not want to leave. However, if they will be all alone perhaps they might want to go back to where they came from with their parents.
I agree with you. I can feel your pain too in the way you write. It would be the best thing for you to go back. I hope it's happens for you soon, really I do. My daughter stayed in FL. She was born there and has a boyfriend there. He works for his father's business which is very successful so there is no way she will ever leave there. He has relatives here and I am here so back and forth we will go. She has been here 3 times already with me paying the flight.I have only been here a year. It gets expensive, I know. If she marries and has children it will be very hard on me. I cannot see myself every moving back there though. I really can't, but I guess I can't say never.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:46 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,511,334 times
I came back last February to here from MA, it was a huge mistake, one I won't make again.

This time I am better prepared for the winter, and cold. I am so looking forward to it. It's 73 degrees there where I am going. 90 here with a blustery 96 degree index.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,489,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
Thank you TNRyan,

I moved here in late August of last year, so winter came quickly. I was soooooooo excited after living in eternal summer for so long!
I had to laugh at what you wrote about your car doors. The samething happened to me and I did the samething you did. I got yelled at when I got to work "You're Not Supposed To Do That!" Well it worked, did it? I got a can of ice melt after that. This year I will park in my garage. There are so many of us at work that are FL transplants. The first time it snowed we all ran outside to see. We looked so funny, jumping up and down yelling.... "It's snowing!" we were all snapping pics with our phones.
One morning I woke up to this......

It brought back a lot of memories for me as a kid in Long Island. In many ways Murfreesboro reminds me alot of Long Island.
I do miss my daughter in FL. She is born there, so that is where she will stay and I will visit. I have a lot of family still in FL so I will be going back at least once a year.
This is one I took during that winter 2 years ago when it got so damn cold..

Old 09-21-2008, 07:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,755,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You could then be on the ocean. The weather probably isn't that much different from Atlanta. I know Atlanta gets snow too.
yah, but the GA cities near the ocean are to small for me. I need a real metropolitan city, thats why we are still considering Cali.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,715,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
yah, but the GA cities near the ocean are to small for me. I need a real metropolitan city, thats why we are still considering Cali.
Nothing like California for the true beach lifestyle. San Diego or Los Angeles are great cities.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,252,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You guys are mean showing those pictures to us, the ones that have to still wait to move,lol.
For real......I still have 8 months to go

Old 09-21-2008, 07:55 PM

11,782 posts, read 26,696,262 times
We are moving to Raleigh, NC once we can sell our house in Central FL. It's not that we don't like it here, we are just ready for change. We've been here
8 1/2 years. It was a great experience and we don't regret it at all. I would recommend Lake Mary to anybody! We are originally from PA. We miss the seasons. We'll be closer to family also. You never know where life takes you and you'll never know if you like it unless you experience it!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 PM

90 posts, read 174,521 times
excellent choice, beckycat!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,649,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
This is one I took during that winter 2 years ago when it got so damn cold..
Snow makes everything look so pretty and clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or