U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:36 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,996,213 times

Advertisements

We are leaving Florida b/c of our child, and we miss "home". Can't wait to get back to real sports town, good mom and pop places with no WalMarts on every corner, amazing museums, public transportation that is utilized and efficient, seasons, brick homes, cold/white Christmases, community, walkable towns, better educational systems, no red ants, etc etc.

I don't hate Florida, but I miss home. Our son needs to experience real culture, diversity, open-mindedness, strong schools, etc.

What I will miss is City-Data...where I'm moving the threads are all about "what do I do to increase the Amps in my electrical system", "How to grow the best vegetables", "What is happening around town tonight?", "Went to the BEST restaurant and wanted to share with everyone". It's funny...there is NO DRAMA really. I'll miss the drama and the banter of all the Florida folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:39 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,586,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Family is very important, but not sure about culture? Where is cultural?
type of culture they prefer. some people like the southern culture, some like new england stuff, some like california culture, etc.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:42 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,586,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
You are funny. SAD is always the excuse the northerners use for needing to come here. It's funny too really. Winter is not eternity. Take a vaca, or sit under some UV lights for the day. I'm with you. We are moving back north in a month!
sad is for real though... I didn't know what it was b/c I had lived in the sunbelt all my life until a whole winter up north. I think I got it mildly then went on a vacation... I could see how that would bother people.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,978,194 times
Default The reverse is also true

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
sad is for real though... I didn't know what it was b/c I had lived in the sunbelt all my life until a whole winter up north. I think I got it mildly then went on a vacation... I could see how that would bother people.
I didn't know I had Summer SAD until I lived in Florida. I always knew since I was kid that I hated summer, but when it was only 3 months long I coped with it. It has really hit me living with 12 months of sunshine and heat in Florida.

If you think people are dismissive of winter SAD, imagine what the reaction is to summer SAD, especially in Florida. "What do you mean you can't be the sun?" So I don't have to get into a long complicated discussion, I just say I have a skin condition (partially true). It is a very BIG problem for me here, even with work.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:33 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,716,999 times
I think I speak for many, on behalf of FL residents subjected daily to the Debbie Downer Florida is hell on earth crowd, that the answer is "not soon enough."

Old 04-25-2009, 06:47 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,978,194 times
Default Three and a half more years

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think I speak for many, on behalf of FL residents subjected daily to the Debbie Downer Florida is hell on earth crowd, that the answer is "not soon enough."
until this state gives me my pension. That may make a whole lot of Florida lovers mad that they are paying a "miserable malcontent" with their tax dollars, but that is the way it goes. Until that time, Florida and this forum will just have to put up with me.

Too bad, but I will get mine in the long run.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:05 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,996,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What you speak of is not inclusive of FL residents. Everyone will not love every place. The reason FL sees so many people change their tune is b/c the expectations are so high coming in. It's really nothing against FL or its residents.

There aren't many people flocking to Jersey, or Ohio, or Nebraska with expectations that it will be 100% fantastic, vacationville. Thus, the negativity that comes out is far less, b/c the expectations were not so high to begin with. It's like getting ready to eat your favorite dessert, and then realizing someone has poured ketchup on top of it. Some will still dig it and like it~ thus continue to eat it because they LOVE ketchup...and think it goes with everything, but many will instantly be turned off.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:11 AM

478 posts, read 1,184,616 times
And also, people move here from wherever, drive like idiots, throw garbage in the street, complain about everything (the natives walk too slow, talk too slow, drive too slow) and then the natives get miserable b/c of what FL turns into once these people move here over and over again. Now, almost everyone is unhappy, especially combined with yout 7 month summers, traffic, crime, transients, and then you got the whole reason why FL is known for "being the last refuge of the scoundrel," which basically is what many of us havetouched on time and time again = people hiding or trying to escape the law run to FL.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 PM

3,732 posts, read 7,102,338 times
Just goes to show you that pretty much everyone here has a different opinion than mine. I was born and raised in New Jersey, don't get me wrong I'm proud to be from the NYC area but shoveling snow sucks. Having to wait until mid-MAY for warm weather to finally come around sucks. I'll take the sun, palm trees, warm weather, and beautiful beaches of Florida over damp, dark, cold winter of the north.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,064,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
What I will miss is City-Data...where I'm moving the threads are all about "what do I do to increase the Amps in my electrical system", "How to grow the best vegetables", "What is happening around town tonight?", "Went to the BEST restaurant and wanted to share with everyone". It's funny...there is NO DRAMA really. I'll miss the drama and the banter of all the Florida folks.
Hahaha! So well put. The drama on the FL board kills me and I find myself coming back to watch the 'soaps'. But the fact that the people where you now live are dining out at the BEST restaurants and are moved to comment on this says so much. Florida restaurants are all about, "What glaze do you want on your mahi or grouper?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or