U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2007, 06:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,059,960 times

Advertisements

Somewhere on this forum is a thread titled HUMIDITY, but I don't have the time to hunt for it right now so I'll start a new one.

As my name indicates, I live in Vero Beach, however I'm in New England right now babysitting my grandchildren for a few weeks. The air is so dry here that my hair stands straight up, my fingers feel like sandpaper, my legs itch all the time, and I'm constantly giving my poor grandchildren shocks every time I touch them. My husband actually caused the TV to shut off from an electrical shock while putting in a DVD.

In short, I can't wait to return to the humidity of Florida. My eyes are pink and my nasal passages have turned to paper. I can't believe I grew up here. Everyone is always sniffling, coughing, or wheezing. I wear a giant quilted coat, gloves, scarf, and boots whenever I go out. I have to dress my grandkids in snowsuits. Life isn't easy in the tundra of the Northeast. I just hope I can escape here without being held hostage by a snowstorm. I am homesick for everything you all post about Florida, negative or positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 06:21 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,991,823 times
Thats strange because the northeast is almost as humid, although obviously colder. The west does get dry. Ive been there and to Israel and about the only problem was my eyes felt dry more often, no other problems.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thats strange because the northeast is almost as humid, although obviously colder. The west does get dry. Ive been there and to Israel and about the only problem was my eyes felt dry more often, no other problems.
This might be true if I were camping in their backyard but I'm in a house and the heat runs constantly which is drying for the skin, hair and nasal passages.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:41 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,122,494 times
As I'd mentioned in a previous post, the heating systems do dry out the air in the houses. Your skin looks and feels like something that belongs on a reptile and it actually stings, doesn't it, Verobeach? Just for giggles, I'll try to remember to check my weather doo-dad when I go home for lunch to see what the humidity is registering. Hang in there...it's only for a little while.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,070,739 times
Vero, I know exactly what you mean, but I'm glad you brought it up as a reminder of another thing that's better in Florida. The alligator skin-I can identify with that. You do have to use a lot of lotion in the winter time in the north. In case you've forgotten since you have been gone from there quite a while, be sure to use plenty of fabric softener sheets when you do your laundry and you can also use them for dusting things like the tv. They cut down on static cling. You can also put a few fabric sheets in your drawers. As for the bundling up, I wish there was a way around that. I love wearing shorts and tank tops and sandals, but right now it's minus one here so that probably won't happen today. Oh yea, and sometimes it feels like you had have a humidifier in every room.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-08-2007 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-08-2007, 10:22 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,097,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thats strange because the northeast is almost as humid, although obviously colder.
The summers are humid, however a lot of times in the winter the air gets bone dry. It isn't always humid. Also, the heat in the house can make the dryness even worse. I prefer dryness over humidity any day, but my skin does get rather dry in the cold. Most of us stock up on moisturizer this time of year.

You can't compare Florida humidity to the humidity in the northeast. In Florida I feel like I can't breathe half of the time. They are two different animals.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post

You can't compare Florida humidity to the humidity in the northeast. In Florida I feel like I can't breathe half of the time. They are two different animals.
Arctic Squalls... that's what they're forecasting for today!

I breath better in the Florida humidity than I did in the DC humidity because the air was so polluted in DC.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 AM

458 posts, read 456,118 times
Sure you can compare Florida and northeast humidity. I lived in Pensacola for 2 years, Jupiter for 3 years, have been in PA/NJ the last 2 years, heading back to FL next fall.

Pensacola was the most humid due to its gulf location. Jupiter is humid during the summer, so is NJ/PA.

In fact last summer we had several months of 90 degree days up here and very high humidity.

So humidity works out to Pensacola > Jupiter = NJ/PA. The only difference is you get about 6 weeks more of the humid weather in Jupiter than you do in NJ/PA.

But I will take that tradeoff anyday to be back in FL. It has been 10-15 degree lows up here for the last 3 weeks and they are saying 3 more to come. So 6 weeks of brutal cold vs 6 extra weeks of humid weather...I will take that anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or