U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,548 times

Advertisements

Hi I just got a job in Lake City FL.
I am new to this area of FL and want some suggestions.

I would like to some names of suburbs that are race friendly, safe, and family friendly. I need the place to be some what close to Lake City FL since I will have to drive there every day. hopefully closer to jacksonvill.

Also, if anyone can give me info on Lake City it self I would greatly appriciate it!!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:55 AM

980 posts, read 2,510,583 times
haha suburbs?? Not to sound insulting, but did you know anything about Lake City before you accepted a job there? It is a beautiful area though, it's just a small town. Columbia, Suwannee, and Baker counties are all very nice. Beautiful trees and beautiful farmland. Fairly inexpensive too.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,135,396 times
Lake City is HORRIBLE! Anything in Columbia County and Suwannee County are terrible. Take it from me, I lived in Live oak which is the town next door. There's nothing to do and you are about 2 hours from Jax. Housing in cheap but not the nice houses you see in the suburb areas-usually mobile homes. You're going to find that most everything is farm land and country. The springs are pretty and cold. That's probably the most thrilling you will get here.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM

3,413 posts, read 7,982,805 times
If you're looking for some excitement, you might look further south on 75 toward Gainesville. Don't know how old you are but there is shopping, culture, dining, etc there and it's not a bad ride at all on the interstate.

Check out some of the north Gainesville suburbs- High Springs, Alachua.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM

Gainesville isn't much better either. It's a college town with not too much to do other than get drunk or go to the lame clubs. The mall is small, but nice, it was revamped back in like 2002-2003 (I lived in G-ville). I wouldn't call High Springs a suburb-it's nothing compared to what anyone from any city would call any suburb. I wouldn't say culture either, there's not a bunch of that, maybe the Krishna that perform on the corner of University and 13th or serve food (good though) for cheap on campus (UF). Dining is nothing spectacular-but better than Lake City. Gainesville family friendly? HA! There is a lot of trouble to get into in that small town-believe it or not.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM

1,505 posts, read 2,807,551 times
congratulations. you are gonna love it there.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,711,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti34 View Post

I would like to some names of suburbs that are race friendly, safe, and family friendly. I need the place to be some what close to Lake City FL since I will have to drive there every day. hopefully closer to jacksonvill.

Also, if anyone can give me info on Lake City it self I would greatly appriciate it!!

Thank you.
I don't know much about Lake City, so I can't really tell you about "suburbs" there, but looking on a real estate site, I'm amazed by the quantity of homes available there. I don't know what some people consider cheap, but it looks like I could easily find a home there--not a mobile/manufactured home, townhome, etc., but a standalone home--that I'd consider acceptable for under 100k . . . or for about 150k if my wife has to find it acceptable, too, lol.

I also like rural areas a lot, and for one, Lake City is right next door to Osceola National Forest. Maybe some people don't consider that anything to do, but I love hiking, and part of the Florida Trail goes through there. Plus you'd be a short drive from Okefenokee, and MapQuest says that Jacksonville is only 64 miles away (and per other posts above, it's close to Gainsville as well). Sounds good to me. Is the company you're working for looking for more employees? lol

Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 PM

260 posts, read 795,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti34 View Post

Thank you.
Don't move there. Take the job if you have to and keep looking for another job. Rent, do not buy. I lived there, 4 months was all I could take and I hate the area so much I refuse to stop and use a restroom when I am traveling in the area. You won't find race friendly areas there.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 AM

You got that right-it's because you are out in the boonies and people there aren't as open minded as in a city or 'burb. I am half asian and I always got the cold shoulder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappy View Post
Don't move there. Take the job if you have to and keep looking for another job. Rent, do not buy. I lived there, 4 months was all I could take and I hate the area so much I refuse to stop and use a restroom when I am traveling in the area. You won't find race friendly areas there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida