U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:59 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,157,572 times

Advertisements

It is hard for me to imagine that, in the age of the internet and world-wide on line auctions, no one has developed a website that can effectively compete with the Realtor's MLS on a state-wide and nation-wide basis!

What we need is something very similar to the MLS, but which can be used by Buyers and Sellers who want to sell their own homes. How hard would it be to develop a website, sectioned off by state or even metro-areas, where people can put some basic information about their house, some pictures of their house, an asking price, other terms and information. This just seems so simple to me.

The way to do this is base it on a model where the cost of listing it is a very low flat fee per month.

Not only would the "by owner" people list there, but eventually, the Real Estate Agents would have to list there too.

I'm just wondering why this hasn't been done effectively yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 PM

442 posts, read 2,664,666 times
why don't you do it?..lol

Old 02-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,520,582 times
That's a great idea. Aren't there a ton of FSBO sites that are free, and some that you do pay a minimal subscription type fee? Problem I have found is that there are so many of them. I get lost and tired.
How different would a MLS type be from those and/or the real MLS?
I'm not a realtor but I like the field. I'm always following Open house signs, reading ads, checking market, just for the fun of it.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:38 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,157,572 times
Yes, too many "local" and non-national websites is the problem.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but there used to be quite a few competing on-line auctions, before Ebay took the place by storm. Also, look at the Monster.com concept and Amazon.com. There is no reason that there can't be a national "HouseDepot.com". It will take a good amount of money to make a great, easy to use website to accomodate this. It would also take a lot of money to market this nationally.

Some of the things it would have to do to compete with MLS is instruct sellers how to sell their hosue; provide forums for discussion; sell some basic state-specific forms (not easy to do) or provide links to where they can be purchased; allow real estate agents free or the same access; provide closing and escrow services through local agencies.

I wish that I was a genius web designer and had time for this project! I put it out there for all of you smart ambitious people to ponder over.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:45 PM

177 posts, read 618,571 times
I would think that one problem is the cost of maintaining, securing, operating and making sure that the information is accurate. Most MLS are owned by the county realtors association. They control who is allowed to post information on the website, the form in which it is posted so everyone is on the same page and only licensed realtors who are expected to adhere to the rules and regulations governing their profession are able to post.
Who would pay for the system and it's upkeep?
How would you make sure that the information posted is accurate? I can see where scam artists could possibly cause a lot of mischief in a system like that.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 PM

I hope someone jumps on the bandwagon here and picks Prichard's and Watson's brains so they can come up with THE non-realtor site. Wouldn't that be awesome? What would happen to the poor realtors then?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM

1,247 posts, read 650,403 times
Realtors will still have a place. Most people don't want to deal with all the little details of selling a home. That's why you pay a realtor to do it. And no, I'm not a realtor, in fact, I don't really like them very much, but I do realize they are a necessary evil (unlike used car salesmen).

Old 02-08-2007, 02:00 PM

I've never used a realtor. Bought and sold 3 times in the last 8 years, all by my lonesome.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I've never used a realtor. Bought and sold 3 times in the last 8 years, all by my lonesome.
Works for some people, but not everyone. I never said everyone has to use a realtor.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Works for some people, but not everyone. I never said everyone has to use a realtor.

P.S. It's a good thing you told everyone, otherwise we might not know how awesome you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida