Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM

18 posts, read 81,072 times

Advertisements

Hello all, this is my first post.

I've been in Florida my whole life, all of my life in Pensacola, and one year in Orlando. I'm in the IT industry (8 yrs) and came to Orlando for work.

My question is: in Florida, where are the best places for IT/tech jobs? As you see I've only lived in 2 places, I've read alot, but I don't really have any experience in other places. I wanted to get out of Pensacola, so I came here (Orlando) because I had the opportunity. I would say it's been about average so far. Is central Florida the best place for IT, what about Ft. Lauderdale, Miami?

I'm not sure what I mean by "best", so if any IT folks in here have first hand knowledge, please share.

I prefer to stay in Florida, because this is my home and I love it here, but if anyone knows of any other "hot" areas, also please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 03:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
I think Orlando / Lake Mary employs more people in the IT field than the other cities do. This isn't Palo Alto, CA, Denver, or even Atlanta Ga; never will be. But, because of UCF, Lockheed/Martin, Seamans, Sunguard, and a host of others that I can't remember, we have a couple of budding high-tech areas that employ a bunch of IT people.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM

22 posts, read 104,042 times
Both JPMorgan Chase and Citi-Bank have large offices in Tampa that does software development.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
What about Melbourne. Isn't Harris there?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:16 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Check the following:

Boeing, Coleman, L3, LMC, TRS, Vertex, and many more in Orlando, also at the Cape. We have a few good ones in Fort Walton Beach, our MIS dude started at $27 per hour.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:21 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctanx View Post

I've been in Florida my whole life, all of my life in Pensacola, and one year in Orlando. I'm in the IT industry (8 yrs) and came to Orlando for work.

My question is: in Florida, where are the best places for IT/tech jobs? As you see I've only lived in 2 places, I've read alot, but I don't really have any experience in other places. I wanted to get out of Pensacola, so I came here (Orlando) because I had the opportunity. I would say it's been about average so far. Is central Florida the best place for IT, what about Ft. Lauderdale, Miami?

I'm not sure what I mean by "best", so if any IT folks in here have first hand knowledge, please share.

I prefer to stay in Florida, because this is my home and I love it here, but if anyone knows of any other "hot" areas, also please share.

another way to find out is to check monster.com for IT job listings.
you can do a search by state and narrow it to a specific city.
Best of luck.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
Intel is investing a billion in facilities in Saigon

Old 02-09-2007, 06:51 AM

18 posts, read 81,072 times
Thanks for the replies.

Prichard, you said "Denver". What is the scene like up there? I had a friend who lived there once and loved it.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:12 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctanx View Post

maybe call john peele from grbnet at 407-644-1612. he may be able to give you info from inside the industry. he may also be hiring.
grbnet.com

Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
I've never lived in Denver, just go through there on my way to Skiing in the mountains.

I mention Denver because I've known of several smaller California, Oregan, and even an Orlando based company that have relocated their headquarters in Denver. For whatever reason, this seems to be an active area for Software and IT companies to move to. I've heard that many younger people like living in Denver. It's not for me, too cold, too dry, and too far away from the Ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida