U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 01:07 PM

90 posts, read 174,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Really?! So what has run everyone off, the people who relocated there or other factors like the economy or the weather?

a heavy dose of all 3!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I believe as South FL got more and more developed and crowded with transplants, the natives moved more to North FL. The whole lifestyle the natives were used to changed. I can't blame them really. I also think the same will happen in parts of TN and already has. Some areas here are nothing but transplants.
Kim918, you are exactly right. and who could blame them? i was born in this state, but i prefer to leave now too. and i will also try to talk some of my family members (who are also natives) to join me.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:10 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,649,427 times
Quote:
I guess I was just wondering that if it's the transplants who are the rude ones, then maybe it's because where they came from rudeness was just a natural way to be. When everyone is rude, it becomes acceptable behavior. But when someone is rude in an area where it didn't used to be that way, it's noticed more, because it isn't so acceptable.

Anyway, I was in Florida in May and I found folks to be very friendly and laid-back for the most part.

Maybe it's perception; I was on vacation so I was mellow, and I perceived everyone else to be mellow too.
Where were you in FL?
Southeast FL is filled with transplants from all over the world now. It's one big salad bowl! After living in TN for awhile I went back to Florida for a funeral, I went into Publix and I could feel the difference immediately between there and here. Nothing unusual happened or anything, it's just a vibe you get. I agree with your vacation comment. It's different when you are just visiting.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I guess I was just wondering that if it's the transplants who are the rude ones, then maybe it's because where they came from rudeness was just a natural way to be. When everyone is rude, it becomes acceptable behavior. But when someone is rude in an area where it didn't used to be that way, it's noticed more, because it isn't so acceptable.

Anyway, I was in Florida in May and I found folks to be very friendly and laid-back for the most part.

Maybe it's perception; I was on vacation so I was mellow, and I perceived everyone else to be mellow too.

it depends on where you are in florida too of course. were you in northern fla by chance?

Old 09-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroQuest View Post
Kim918, you are exactly right. and who could blame them? i was born in this state, but i prefer to leave now too. and i will also try to talk some of my family members (who are also natives) to join me.
I totally understand. Give TN a shot. It is really beautiful here and the people are all very nice in general. My daughter was born in FL and she is NEVER leaving. She loves it. It's her home.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Where were you in FL?
Southeast FL is filled with transplants from all over the world now. It's one big salad bowl! After living in TN for awhile I went back to Florida for a funeral, I went into Publix and I could feel the difference immediately between there and here. Nothing unusual happened or anything, it's just a vibe you get. I agree with your vacation comment. It's different when you are just visiting.

that's so funny. when i go to nc for a visit, then i come back to florida, i can really feel a different vibe on the roads. not too much on i-95, but when i get off of i-95 and get into orlando, i can feel my mood change, i am more alert by then, and that is when i realize just how bad it is in orlando.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:15 PM

i've been to tn (eastern tn) many times. i lived not far from there at all a few yrs ago. it is nice, no doubt about it.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:16 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,272,189 times
Quote:
Where were you in FL?
I flew into Ft Myers and spent a couple of days in that area, then I drove up the coast and eventually ended up in Homosassa Springs. And it was part vacation, part research, as I am seriously thinking about retiring to Florida myself next year.

Guess I may one day be one of those hated transplants. But I'll try very hard not to be rude.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroQuest View Post
that's so funny. when i go to nc for a visit, then i come back to florida, i can really feel a different vibe on the roads. not too much on i-95, but when i get off of i-95 and get into orlando, i can feel my mood change, i am more alert by then, and that is when i realize just how bad it is in orlando.
It's true! I feel so much less stressed here and I am doing the exact same job. I transferred, but everything here feels way more civilized.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:18 PM

i'm not a fan of ft myers at all, but homosassa springs is def different. i could see how you would meet some nice folks there for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or