U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:19 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,649,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I flew into Ft Myers and spent a couple of days in that area, then I drove up the coast and eventually ended up in Homosassa Springs. And it was part vacation, part research, as I am seriously thinking about retiring to Florida myself next year.

Guess I may one day be one of those hated transplants. But I'll try very hard not to be rude.
Like I said, everyone is a transplant now. No one will even notice you! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 01:23 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,273,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroQuest View Post
i'm not a fan of ft myers at all, but homosassa springs is def different. i could see how you would meet some nice folks there for sure.
I loved that area. Although the lure to be closer to the beach is strong, the Homosassa area reminded me so much more of the "old" Florida that I remember from my childhood, that I'm kinda leaning toward that location. My Dad was from Jacksonville, and I used to spend summers there in the late 1950's and 60's. (I know - ancient history!)

Old 09-21-2008, 01:24 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,941,244 times
Default Sometimes I am in my own little world

Quote:
i was at publix today, and this guy in line got like 3 different types of sodas. well, the cashier, an older nice guy was telling the guy that he needed to ring up each soda because they were different flavors (he got three or four 2-liters). well the customer wanted the cashier to ring up all of the 2-liters together, as if they were all the same exact brand. anyways, the customer had a fit and was breathing heavy and all pissed off and trying to argue because the cashier was doing what he was supposed to be doing. now as he is leaving, he yells, "i just wanna watch the damn giants game!" (the ny giants i guess were playing at 1 pm.) stuff like this ticks me off, so when i was ready to check out, i made sure everything went smoothly and told him "thank you" and so forth, hoping he'd forget about the guy before me.

the customer wasnt even in a hurry, i saw him walking to his car slowly, starring at his receipt after he exited the store. he spent so much time arguing, he could have been done already!

why cant people in fla just take things a little easier, and not be so rude all the time. it has changed drastically in this state over the yrs, sad to say.
with my thoughts a million miles away, literally. I can be almost totally unaware of what is going on around me. Usually it is something involving work, or I may be just day dreaming of days and places gone by. I suppose because I am not paying attention and would ignore someone, people could take that as rudeness. If someone becomes upset over something I did, it usually "awakens" me and I will apologize because I don't mean to mean, so to speak.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:32 PM

90 posts, read 174,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I loved that area. Although the lure to be closer to the beach is strong, the Homosassa area reminded me so much more of the "old" Florida that I remember from my childhood, that I'm kinda leaning toward that location. My Dad was from Jacksonville, and I used to spend summers there in the late 1950's and 60's. (I know - ancient history!)
"old" fla is the best fla!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:35 PM

893 posts, read 440,072 times
Quote:
i was at publix today, and this guy in line got like 3 different types of sodas. well, the cashier, an older nice guy was telling the guy that he needed to ring up each soda because they were different flavors (he got three or four 2-liters). well the customer wanted the cashier to ring up all of the 2-liters together, as if they were all the same exact brand. anyways, the customer had a fit and was breathing heavy and all pissed off and trying to argue because the cashier was doing what he was supposed to be doing. now as he is leaving, he yells, "i just wanna watch the damn giants game!" (the ny giants i guess were playing at 1 pm.) stuff like this ticks me off, so when i was ready to check out, i made sure everything went smoothly and told him "thank you" and so forth, hoping he'd forget about the guy before me.

the customer wasnt even in a hurry, i saw him walking to his car slowly, starring at his receipt after he exited the store. he spent so much time arguing, he could have been done already!

why cant people in fla just take things a little easier, and not be so rude all the time. it has changed drastically in this state over the yrs, sad to say.
I'd say he wasn't from Florida if he's a pro football Giants fan, hence the rudeness.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:49 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,728,051 times
Publix sucks anyway, you shouldn't shop there.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Whatever happened to Piggly Wiggly? What a great name for a grocery store!

Old 09-21-2008, 03:54 PM

527 posts, read 854,213 times
I am one of those happy-go-lucky people! I am the eternal optimist! I find that people put their fears, their phobias, and their negative traits on me quite frequently. Whether it is to make them feel better, feel superior, or just to help them cope with their miserable existence, I will never know?

I am that annoying person that always comes in happy and wishes everybody a good morning… I have people really say some mean things! My personality also makes me more approachable and easier for mean and rude people to vent their frustrations on me. When I was younger it used to hurt my feelings but now I just feel that it sucks to be them!

Life is short… I have almost died in car crashes, I was paralyzed from the waist down for 9 months when I was in Jr. High, I was a stuntman and almost died several times, I was a show off and almost got myself killed, and I did some police work and almost bit the bullet… Life is too short! I have a great day because I choose to have a great day! I am not immune to the a$$holes out there! I get pissed being cutoff in traffic and then I get even madder when they yell at me for their error but it quickly fades and I choose not to dwell on it! Even for me… sometimes that is easier said then done! But I do it!

It can always be worse! I study a lot different things for fun, therefore my head is filled with tons of eclectic knowledge; most of which I never find a use for until I begin to blog. Two of my favorite stories were… Saint Lawrence, deacon to some Pope, was being pushed down onto hot coals and fire by guys with long sticks, after a few minutes of this he turned to his executioners while he was being burned alive and said, “I am cooked on that side; turn me over and eat.” How great of a way to tell someone to kiss your backside!

My all time favorite story is about a man named David Kennison who was born in 1736, he lived to 115 and was the longest surviving participant of the Boston Tea Party. He served in both the American Revolution and when he was 76 years of age he served in the war of 1812. He had his hand shot off at Sackett’s Harbor. Several years later, his skull was fractured when a tree fell on his head, and several years after that, while training for a militia drill he accidentally had both of his legs shattered when a cannon went off prematurely. When he recovered from that his legs became covered with painful sores that never healed and he was stricken with rheumatism. Sometime later his face was mutilated when he was kicked by a horse. He finally died a nice quiet death in Illinois in 1851, not due to any of these instances.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It can always be worse… it is how you deal with things that make you or break you![/SIZE]

Old 09-21-2008, 03:55 PM

90 posts, read 174,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
well, where i live in orlando its convenient to go to either walmart or publix. where do you think i'd rather go? back to topic...

Old 09-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednemtheadventurer View Post
I am one of those happy-go-lucky people! I am the eternal optimist! I find that people put their fears, their phobias, and their negative traits on me quite frequently. Whether it is to make them feel better, feel superior, or just to help them cope with their miserable existence, I will never know?

I am that annoying person that always comes in happy and wishes everybody a good morning… I have people really say some mean things! My personality also makes me more approachable and easier for mean and rude people to vent their frustrations on me. When I was younger it used to hurt my feelings but now I just feel that it sucks to be them!

Life is short… I have almost died in car crashes, I was paralyzed from the waist down for 9 months when I was in Jr. High, I was a stuntman and almost died several times, I was a show off and almost got myself killed, and I did some police work and almost bit the bullet… Life is too short! I have a great day because I choose to have a great day! I am not immune to the a$$holes out there! I get pissed being cutoff in traffic and then I get even madder when they yell at me for their error but it quickly fades and I choose not to dwell on it! Even for me… sometimes that is easier said then done! But I do it!

It can always be worse! I study a lot different things for fun, therefore my head is filled with tons of eclectic knowledge; most of which I never find a use for until I begin to blog. Two of my favorite stories were… Saint Lawrence, deacon to some Pope, was being pushed down onto hot coals and fire by guys with long sticks, after a few minutes of this he turned to his executioners while he was being burned alive and said, “I am cooked on that side; turn me over and eat.” How great of a way to tell someone to kiss your backside!

My all time favorite story is about a man named David Kennison who was born in 1736, he lived to 115 and was the longest surviving participant of the Boston Tea Party. He served in both the American Revolution and when he was 76 years of age he served in the war of 1812. He had his hand shot off at Sackett’s Harbor. Several years later, his skull was fractured when a tree fell on his head, and several years after that, while training for a militia drill he accidentally had both of his legs shattered when a cannon went off prematurely. When he recovered from that his legs became covered with painful sores that never healed and he was stricken with rheumatism. Sometime later his face was mutilated when he was kicked by a horse. He finally died a nice quiet death in Illinois in 1851, not due to any of these instances.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It can always be worse… it is how you deal with things that make you or break you![/SIZE]
My goodness! Are you sure you're not related to Baron Von Munchausen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or